Law School Discussion

Some guidence, please...

Some guidence, please...
« on: February 26, 2005, 02:29:53 PM »
So I'm in that "middle" area... where my GPA (3.5) and LSAT score (160) are decent, but they aren't top-of-the-line... however, I feel like those are those numbers that can either make or break you.

So my question I'm posing to you guys is this... how much does your resume and such really matter in the grand scheme of things? If I'm in that gray area, but I've done a lot is, that really going to give me that boost?

Also, I seem to be having a few doubts as to how safe some of my safeties are, as many try to move up in their standards... any suggestions? Any one else with similar stats want to share some tips of the trade?

Thanks...

Re: Some guidence, please...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 04:43:34 PM »
So I'm in that "middle" area... where my GPA (3.5) and LSAT score (160) are decent, but they aren't top-of-the-line... however, I feel like those are those numbers that can either make or break you.

So my question I'm posing to you guys is this... how much does your resume and such really matter in the grand scheme of things? If I'm in that gray area, but I've done a lot is, that really going to give me that boost?

Also, I seem to be having a few doubts as to how safe some of my safeties are, as many try to move up in their standards... any suggestions? Any one else with similar stats want to share some tips of the trade?

Thanks...

I infer from your belief that "3.5, 160" are middle numbers that you are mainly interested in "first-tier" schools.  That having been said, it depends on what you did. If you worked 10 years as a paralegal, even a successful one, it won't help much, except if your stats are "average" for a school you are considering, and the school denies a good percentage of those with similar numbers;  in that case, if given a choice between and 22 year old with a "3.5 160" and a 30 year old with real-world experience, One needs a realistic appraisal of what achieving a lot means in relation to the pool of applicants for law schools. If, however, you were executive director of a non-profit organization, and worked in Namibia feeding starving youngsters, then your numbers may even get you accepted well up the rankings. Or, if you lived on a Southeast Asian slave-ship for 3 years, was held captive, and still managed to go to college and get good grades, (don't laugh, this is a true story!)  even "middle" scores can get you into a top 5 schools.  But, it has to be something spectacular.

twarga

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 04:48:37 PM »
OK, here's some.  It's spelled guidance.   ;D

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 05:13:56 PM »

Don't start a sentence with "OK."  Additionally, it a solecism for "okay."  Place "guidance" appropriately in quotation marks.  Also, two contractions, in two sentences consecutively, demonstrates poor usage of English, even in informal writing. Finally, a colon after the word "some" would be accurate, or even an em dash, but a period would is incorrect.  But enough about grammar!

twarga

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 05:16:55 PM »

Don't start a sentence with "OK."  Additionally, it a solecism for "okay."  Place "guidance" appropriately in quotation marks.  Also, two contractions, in two sentences consecutively, demonstrates poor usage of English, even in informal writing. Finally, a colon after the word "some" would be accurate, or even an em dash, but a period would is incorrect.  But enough about grammar!

OK, I won't do "that" anymore:  ;)

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 07:23:22 PM »
I'm glad to know that we take spelling / grammer so seriously on a message board ... I'll make sure next time before I post I have it edited twice and use spell check.