Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not QUITE in at Valpo  (Read 1118 times)

Comm-Law

• View Profile
Not QUITE in at Valpo
« on: February 26, 2005, 02:46:54 PM »
This is an interesting one... I just thought I'd check and see if anyone else got one of these....

'we intend to offer you admission as soon as a seat for you becomes available.  Your status is officially known as "admissions pending", a status above the traditional wait-list category.'

I've never heard of this status before???

- Comm-Law

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Not QUITE in at Valpo
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:51:45 PM »
I got the same thing.  I think Valpo is really trying to protect their yield.  They gave out so many frickin' free waivers that they have to know that a lot of applicants will turn down their offer of admission.

I did e-mail Valpo admissions to let them know that I still want to attend Valpo.  I've got friends in the area, and really like the location.  It's just outside of Chicago.  If accepted, I'd consider Valpo to be at the top of my list.

HankieB

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 02:52:28 PM »
I got that same letter about a month ago, and withdrew my app.  Basically, I think that they received a TON of apps since it was free to apply.  I'm sure that they would accept you if you expressed some sincere interest in the school.  I couldn't do that in good faith (I just applied to see if I could get a big scholarship), and so I withdrew.

bradzwest

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 04:36:16 PM »
This is an interesting one... I just thought I'd check and see if anyone else got one of these....

'we intend to offer you admission as soon as a seat for you becomes available.  Your status is officially known as "admissions pending", a status above the traditional wait-list category.'

I've never heard of this status before???

- Comm-Law

I was admitted in november...they are waitlisting a ton of later admits until they get a look at seat deposits and see who takes scholarship offers.  I was there last weekend.  Good luck!

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 10:29:20 PM »
I did e-mail Valpo admissions to let them know that I still want to attend Valpo.  I've got friends in the area, and really like the location.  It's just outside of Chicago.  If accepted, I'd consider Valpo to be at the top of my list.

I see that you are in at Toledo... would you take Valpo, a tier 4, over Toledo a tier 2??  I'm not saying that you are wrong... I'm just wondering about the reasoning.

- Comm-Law

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 10:44:42 PM »

I see that you are in at Toledo... would you take Valpo, a tier 4, over Toledo a tier 2??  I'm not saying that you are wrong... I'm just wondering about the reasoning.

- Comm-Law

In March and April I'm going to start visiting the schools to which I have been admitted.  If I am happy with the environment, and the school, I will go to that school.  Rank is not the only factor I am considering.  I really want to be happy while going to law school.  Believe it or not, but I'd really put the University of Dayton very high if they accepted me.  I have a lot of friends & family in Dayton.  In short, every school is in the running.

bradzwest

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 11:02:00 PM »

- Comm-Law

For what it is worth, (just relaying info)  Valpo claims that their employment stats were reported incorrectly and dropped them to Tier 4.  They claim USNWR printed a correction on some back page of another issue...they believe this would put them in shouting distance of Tier 2 in the near future.  We'll know in another month when the new numbers come out!

jeflord

• Fix it!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - akalakk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 11:05:56 PM »
I got the same letter too.  I am sending regular correspondence expressing my continued interest.  I will make a decision based on where I am accepted, and it is definitely an option.

geni

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 11:56:13 PM »
I got the same letter.  Since I've already been accepted to my first choice, I withdrew my application.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 12:06:04 AM »
For what it's worth, I visited Valpo on Friday (the day before my pseudo-acceptance letter arrived.
I really liked the school.  Unfortunately, I've found visiting schools to be making the decision making process harder rather than easier.  I've like various features of each school I visited. Notes from my Valpo visit:

Valpo the town is a midwestern college town.  Housing is abundant and inexpensive.
Valpo has one of the smallest class sizes of any law school that I've toured.
The building is relatively new (built in 1986 I believe).
Parking is abundant... this is a big bonus when compared to CASE WESTERN or DePaul where parking promises to be difficult.

I found the following curriculum items unique:
The school REQUIRES 20hrs of PRO-BONO work.  
The school also REQUIRES all 1L's to give an ORAL argument in the Moot Courtroom.

Notes about the dean:
The dean of admissions was very informative.
He has been there for 2 1/2 years and he is really pushing forth an agenda.
He wants to encourage students to gain more work experience before entering law school.  He said the avg age of 1L's has recently gone from 22 to 25.
He dropped all of the affirmative action stuff.  He wants students because they are smart, not because they are a certain sex, race or religion.
He heavily advocates externships.  In fact, the university offers pro-bono scholarships to help students persue the non-paying externship opportunities that the school has lined-up.
According to the dean, the most notable feature of Valpo law is the joint-degree program.  I believe that he said that more students take joint (JD/masters) degrees from Valpo than any other accredited law school (I know that he specifically compared against Harvard and Yale).

So... Valpo left an impression with me... now I guess I just wait for a seat.

- Comm-Law