Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Harvard worth it???  (Read 9993 times)

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Harvard worth it???
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2005, 05:37:16 PM »
Don't forget.. that $150K properly invested could be pushing a million by the time you retire.

By the way, once the initial shock wears off and the numbers set into your mind, turning down Harvard doesn't seem quite as ridiculous.  If you do go visit, be careful of the bookstores.  Seeing all the Harvard gear can mess with your head.

I would like to reiterate trying to find Harvard alums in the Toronto area.  I talked to one in the area I want to practice and he basically told me it wasn't worth it for what I wanted to do in my career.

steves

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2005, 05:45:59 PM »
Don't forget.. that $150K properly invested could be pushing a million by the time you retire.

By the way, once the initial shock wears off and the numbers set into your mind, turning down Harvard doesn't seem quite as ridiculous.  If you do go visit, be careful of the bookstores.  Seeing all the Harvard gear can mess with your head.

I would like to reiterate trying to find Harvard alums in the Toronto area.  I talked to one in the area I want to practice and he basically told me it wasn't worth it for what I wanted to do in my career.

So now he has the $150K to invest from the get go?

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2005, 05:56:37 PM »
Nope.. assume he has fiscal discipline and has saved $15K a year for 10 years from age 26-36 (basically what he would have to do to pay his loans) at 6% interest (conservative based on the stock markets average return over that long of a period of time) and you end up with $840K at age 60.  If you bump that up to 8% (closer to the performance of the Dow) you end up with ~$1.5 million (unadjusted for inflation).

steves

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2005, 07:02:14 PM »
Nope.. assume he has fiscal discipline and has saved $15K a year for 10 years from age 26-36 (basically what he would have to do to pay his loans) at 6% interest (conservative based on the stock markets average return over that long of a period of time) and you end up with $840K at age 60.  If you bump that up to 8% (closer to the performance of the Dow) you end up with ~$1.5 million (unadjusted for inflation).

You guys are bouncing around...one guy says that he isn't going to have money for underwear and you are saying that he is going to be able to stash $15k / year for 10 years.

i.am.me

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2005, 07:27:42 PM »
ok, i got another hypo... sort of.  on the american front, how bout michigan free ride (+ 5k a year stipend) vs. harvard?

steves

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2005, 07:52:52 PM »
ok, i got another hypo... sort of.  on the american front, how bout michigan free ride (+ 5k a year stipend) vs. harvard?

1. Harvard with no money?
2. What do you want to do after law school?

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2005, 08:44:26 PM »

Unless you are seriously destitute.. Harvard really doesn't give money.

jorel2

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2005, 01:55:20 PM »
Just to clarify--the "he" in all of your guys' hypotheticals is actually a "she." 
in: Harvard, Toronto
3.9/177

johnny_toughnuts

• AOL Instant Messenger - jahmcgreevy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2005, 02:04:24 PM »
Go to Harvard just for the FACT that Canada sucks.  :D
GPA: 8.93
LSAT: 292
In: Supreme Court

where2g0

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2005, 06:58:58 PM »

i.am.me- is this really a hypo or is it a reality? Being "held" at Harvard with a great scholarship at Northwestern, I'm kinda hoping this kind of hypo becomes my reality.

For me, in my daydreams of this being a future problem for myself, I'm still leaning towards Northwestern. I do want to do big city, big firm, but is it worth $100k to get a few doors opened because I've got Harvard on my resume?

If you graduate from Northwestern, you will have plenty of doors open to you.