XTCLaw65

• 3.98/158
    • View Profile
    • Xtension Chords
    • Email
HELP ME PLEASE!!!
« on: February 25, 2005, 11:29:26 PM »
Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on this board.  Well, here's the deal.  I applied to 10 schools, got into 5, rejected at 3, and waiting on 2.  The schools I got into were DePaul, Santa Clara, Southwestern, Chicago-Kent, and University of San Francisco.  I got rejected at University of Illinois, Berkeley, and Loyola Marymount.  Finally, I'm waiting on USC and UCLA.

Here's the deal, I just got my Loyola Marymount rejection today and I was really hoping I'd get into that school.  I very much want to study Entertainment Law and eventually work in L.A. to be a part of the whole Hollywood or music scene.  I know USC and UCLA are 99% out of the question, so I was hoping my high GPA would overshadow my not so high LSAT score.  Unfortunately, as far as Loyola was concerned, it wasn't.

So from the five schools I got into, where would you all go?  I want to be in L.A., but is it that bad to go to a Tier 3?  Especially when I have the chance to go to a couple solid Tier 2 schools with excellent IP programs (Santa Clara and Chicago-Kent).  I heard Southwestern's great for Entertainment Law, but at the same time it's not such a reputable school overall.  Plus, it's tough enough breaking into ET law as is.  What do you all think the value is of visiting schools?

Any advice, recommendations, or insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

XTCLaw65

• 3.98/158
    • View Profile
    • Xtension Chords
    • Email
Re: HELP ME PLEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 11:31:47 AM »
Thoughts?  Anyone?  Please?

the REAL desi

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 11:36:58 AM »
you want to be in LA?  Santa Clara is the obvious choice.

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 11:37:37 AM »
I do not know much about those schools since I applied to schools on the east coast. Because I was a com major and have a masters in corporate and public communication, i took an interest in media law and i looked into southwestern. I think it is a great school for media law, their program sounded awesome, just not awesome enough for me to move that far. Anyway, I think that going to a T3 that is well known in the area and that has a specialty that you are intersted in that is in the state that you want to practice law in is a good thing. It might be easier for you to get into entertainment law from a school in CA if you are in the top of your class, as opposed to coming from Chicago. This is just my opinion though, some people say to go to the best school you get into. I think you need to think about where you would be happier, and where you could get better externship experience.

where2g0

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 11:41:06 AM »
If you want to do Entertainment Law and be in LA, then Southwestern is the obvious choice.  They have produced a ton of entertainment lawyers, and sports agents.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 11:50:45 AM »
Go to Southwestern, work your butt off and transfer to USC.

XTCLaw65

• 3.98/158
    • View Profile
    • Xtension Chords
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 12:21:27 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback folks.  I definitely considered applying for transfer to both UCLA and USC after my first year.  In light of an earlier post, does anyone know if there are good job placements in Entertainment Law in LA coming out of Santa Clara?  It's pretty far from the city.  Plus, they're more known for high-tech IP as opposed to Entertainment Law specifically.  I am 100% sure I want to work in LA and in Entertainment Law, so Southwestern's Entertainment Law career track is looking might nice.  Pretty much, if anyone else has any more feedback I'm all ears.

Go to Southwestern, work your butt off and transfer to USC.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 06:20:06 PM »
If you want to do Entertainment Law and be in LA, then Southwestern is the obvious choice.  They have produced a ton of entertainment lawyers, and sports agents.

I'd concur, emphatically. Southwestern would be my choice not only if I wanted to just work Entertainment Law, but if I wanted to work in Southern California in general. I, too, have been accepted to Santa Clara, and I like the school a lot, especially for its IT program. But, I'd go with Southwestern.  Getting into Ent Law is tough, but if it is possible, it will be done by connections and word-of-mouth, and less so by where you go. I think going to Southwestern and being in LA would be best, by a far!

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 07:02:41 PM »
If you don't get into USC or UCLA, I say go to whatever regional L.A. school you do get into. If you can't make a top 20, you're almost always better off going to a school located where you want to practice.

Also, realize that Santa Clara is just barely a Tier 2.
And I don't know a lot about Chicago-Kent, but I'm thinking if I were hiring for an L.A. firm and you said you went to school in Chicago, I'd say, "Oh yeah, U. Chicago or Northwestern?"

The point is, even if you get a great education at a school outside of Southern CA, when you eventually go to work there, you're likely to get the "Sorry, but no one at our firm has any experience with graduates from your school."
If you go to a school in the area, at least you may have some connections, or some common ground to get your foot in the door.

Go to Southwestern and spend three years schmoozing with the locals.

XTCLaw65

• 3.98/158
    • View Profile
    • Xtension Chords
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 08:03:18 PM »
If you don't get into USC or UCLA, I say go to whatever regional L.A. school you do get into. If you can't make a top 20, you're almost always better off going to a school located where you want to practice.

Also, realize that Santa Clara is just barely a Tier 2.
And I don't know a lot about Chicago-Kent, but I'm thinking if I were hiring for an L.A. firm and you said you went to school in Chicago, I'd say, "Oh yeah, U. Chicago or Northwestern?"

The point is, even if you get a great education at a school outside of Southern CA, when you eventually go to work there, you're likely to get the "Sorry, but no one at our firm has any experience with graduates from your school."
If you go to a school in the area, at least you may have some connections, or some common ground to get your foot in the door.

Go to Southwestern and spend three years schmoozing with the locals.

Thanks for the input.  That helps a lot, and it was along the lines of what I was thinking.  Southwestern claims to be the place to be for Entertainment Law.  Hope there's some validity behind that.  Also, Alphalyrae, congrats on your acceptances!