Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian undergrad vs American undergrad  (Read 1299 times)

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Canadian undergrad vs American undergrad
« on: February 25, 2005, 05:28:38 PM »
Hi, Im an American high school senior in Canada...mom lives here, dad lives there

I want to eventually go to law school in the states...thus, I want to get a general feel for the pluses/minuses of attending canadian/american undergrads

I know it seems like American schools are the choice, seeing that I eventually want to go back, but depending on my admissions from the states, I somewhat prefer Canada for now.

Some of my concerns are the GPA differences (noticeably lower in Canada), reputation of Canadian schools (i like Queens but dont know if it is well known down south), etc

I know its somewhat premature but I suppose theres nothing wrong with having a plan.

Id appreciate some insight, thanks.

Melatonin

• View Profile
Re: Canadian undergrad vs American undergrad
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:14:33 PM »
I would do some research and choose for yourself which country to obtain your undergrad from but I get the impression that it is easier to get a higher UGPA in the states than it is in Canada.  This could be completely unjustified but that's how I feel.

Joe
It's a Good Life if you Don't Weaken

Payne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 05:15:51 PM »
I have gone to school in both Canada and in the U.S., the U.S. schools are by far easier, meaning that to get a high gpa is easier, it is not even close. A high gpa makes entering law school easier. If I were you I would do some research about which schools you want to go to and pick a good u grad school in the U.S. that makes the transfer to your target law school smooth.

the REAL desi

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 05:17:22 PM »
you can easily come to the US with an undergrad Candian degree.  one of my classmates went to McGrill and another went to Toronto

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 08:08:52 PM »
ok thanks...yeah just from being in both countries for high school I understand the grading disparities...and i know this topic has been mentioned before but do American law schools understand Canadian reputations and grading systems?

For example...is Queen's reputable in America to the same degree as Toronto or McGill or is going to Queen's like going to York or Concordia in the eyes of American admissions?

Furthermore...how reputable are these Canadian schools vs American ones...Reputably speeking, do Toronto/McGill/Queen's surpass University of Miami, George Washington, Boston Uniersity?