Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kinda wish these law school numbers sites didn't exist  (Read 16902 times)

gosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Kinda wish these law school numbers sites didn't exist
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2005, 03:35:20 PM »
nicorette

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2005, 05:56:30 PM »
So the only way for them to get better is to have blacks leave the country and return in a hundred years?

:D

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2005, 08:08:39 PM »
Hey Caneschica,
     I think what you just mentioned in your post is the reason why some Cubans are not considered to be a disadvantaged minority. The first wave of Cuban immigrants were doctors, private business owners, and so forth. It is not really until the third wave that people with literally nothing start crossing to Florida. However, the community established in Miami has allowed these individuals to be accepted and achieve success rather fast. I have a Cuban uncle here in Los Angeles and he gets so much support from the Cuban community. It is really amazing to see how united they are.
     As for the Af-Am comment. there are people even Hispanics that will make fun of white people. I do not think that is right. It sucks that people advocating for equality are at the same time dehumanizing others. It may have just been an isolated incident but do not take that person as being representative of the entire community.
      As for the Hispanic or Latino lady. WTF is her problem too. I hate people that do not realize that there are a lot of Latino's of African ancestry. I am proud that Sammy Sosa is Latino. A lot of Latino communities act differently to other minorities. I am Mexican-American but the majority of my friends are either Filipino or African American. However, I have experienced the casual remark of "Why are you hanging with them?" To make is simple, some people are just plain stupid.

Peace,
RockyMarciano

P.S. I hate Black Beans. One time I went to a Cuban restaurant in Miami and I asked for Pinto Beans and the lady said "Are you not Cuban?" I hate that, I feel like Carlos Mencia that in Miami I am Cuban, in New York I am Puerto Rican, but here in LA I am always the "vato loco." lol
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

misery

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2005, 02:03:42 PM »
Someone please explain to me why a correlation made between intelligence and [cranium size, race, socioeconomic status, any characteristic in general] is such a taboo subject.  It's obviously acceptable to say something like, people raised at high altitudes have higher lung capacity, or people of european decent are taller than asians.  Granted, intelligence is much more subjective than height/lung capacity, but the fact is, you can meet someone of any race, who will be so much smarter/dumber than you that it will be painfully obvious to anyone who knows the two of you more than in passing.  Since differences in intelligence, like any other characteristic, obviously exist between any two given people, why does it bother people so much?  Does it frighten people to suggest intelligence is some kind of innate attribute, that education and perseverence can only take one so far?

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »
We are too conditioned in our Lockian ways me friend.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2005, 08:35:40 PM »
I think that there is nothing wrong with noting similarilties between groups of people, including skeletal structure. You are right, people think it is terrible just because Hitler did it. But so what?
Hitler also started a youth program, yet we see nothing wrong with that today. We try to start up groups of our youth in order to organiz them more and such. Difference? No.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2005, 02:01:04 AM »
Someone please explain to my why a correlation made between intelligence and [cranium size, race, socioeconomic status, any characteristic in general] is such a taboo subject.  It's obviously acceptable to say something like, people raised at high altitudes have higher lung capacity, or people of european decent are taller than asians.  Granted, intelligence is much more subjective than height/lung capacity, but the fact is, you can meet someone of any race, who will be so much smarter/dumber than you that it will be painfully obvious to anyone who knows the two of you more than in passing.  Since differences in intelligence, like any other characteristic, obviously exist between any two given people, why does it bother people so much?  Does it frighten people to suggest intelligence is some kind of innate attribute, that education and perseverence can only take one so far?

You're kidding, right?

You're drawing a direct comparison between objective analyses that are statistically predictable and a subjective construct with no possible current empirical basis.  The two aren't even remotely analogous.  Nobody even knows what "intelligence" is, nevermind how to measure it. 

Your height is a constant; the interaction between the oxygen content of lungs and its saturation in the air is formulaic.  There is absolutely no reliable formula for "intelligence".  The most we can say is, in the loosest, most relative sense, that some people seem smarter than others.

And even then, these relative differences are spread across all races.  If we disregard all cultural factors and focus strictly on the genetics of "intelligence" (which, by the way, is still a very hazy area of study), then it is likely we would find that people of all races start from a similar slate.  There is nothing to suggest that race plays a significant factor in some sort of "innate intelligence".

In short, your argument is weak, as are any alternatives you're likely to present. 
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2005, 12:36:40 PM »
Exactly, so everyone has the same opportunity for intelligence. Some just take more advantage than others. Race does NOT matter.

misery

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2005, 05:47:04 PM »
You're kidding, right?

No, you've just done a great job of exaggerating my viewpoint.

You're drawing a direct comparison between objective analyses that are statistically predictable and a subjective construct with no possible current empirical basis.  The two aren't even remotely analogous.  Nobody even knows what "intelligence" is, nevermind how to measure it. 

So you are telling me, just because something can't be measured completely objectively, it shouldn't be evaluated at all?  What about things such as music and movies?  No one is going to tell me the latest carrot top movie was better than the godfather.

And even then, these relative differences are spread across all races.  If we disregard all cultural factors and focus strictly on the genetics of "intelligence" (which, by the way, is still a very hazy area of study), then it is likely we would find that people of all races start from a similar slate.  There is nothing to suggest that race plays a significant factor in some sort of "innate intelligence".

In short, your argument is weak, as are any alternatives you're likely to present. 

I never said race was a significant factor in intelligence, I was asking why people refuse to consider that it MIGHT be a factor in intelligence.  The fact is, some people are smarter than others, and it's not because of sheer luck.  Whether it's the way they're raised, genetics, their race, the kind of food they eat, I don't care.  I'm sure someone is going to say, 'they're just better at some things, like taking tests, articulating themselves, memorizing material quickly, and understanding complex material, but that doesn't mean they're smarter!'  Well thats fine, but the aforementioned is what schools/law firms care about, and no one is going to argue that those skills are not useful to performing well in law school/as a lawyer, or pretty much being thought of as "smart."

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2005, 05:52:14 PM »
Yeah, biology has nothing to do with race, so why wouldn't a kid that grew up in a black area, with white skin, be considered black? My point exactly. RAce is a stupid liberal construction