Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kinda wish these law school numbers sites didn't exist  (Read 16831 times)

SeaBiscuit

• View Profile
    • Email
Kinda wish these law school numbers sites didn't exist
« on: February 25, 2005, 12:10:33 PM »
I just looked up lawschoolnumbers.org, and while I was surfing around I clicked on someone's name and viewed their profile because they're numbers looked almost identical to mine.  166/3.4 (my GPA is slightly higher).  Both of us went to Top 15 undergraduate schools.  Both have done service work and worked as a paralegal at prestigious firms after graduation.

One difference, she's a black female, I'm a white male.  Now I don't presume to know about her essay and recs, but I think mine were pretty solid.

She's in all over the place, Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern, the works.  No rejections, not wiat lists.  I, on the other hand, am getting waitlisted or rejected by these schools.

I've always considered myself a pretty liberal guy and have supported AA, but I must say that being on this side of the equation sucks.

Feelin gloomy.  Should I wait and see if Bush makes AA illegal?  I've always despised American conservativism but at this rate of anger I'll be a Republican by 30.

underwhelm

Re: Kinda wish these law school numbers sites didn't exist
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 12:14:05 PM »
Why aren't you upset at all the white people that are more desireable candidates than you? That's who you're being compared with.

twarga

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 12:18:08 PM »
When I got my score, 166, I danced around the living room in my underwear.  However, after spending time on this site and LSN, I feel like a moron.

BigBadBo

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 12:40:43 PM »
underwhelm - you totally miss the point

However, something not often considered is that if everyone were judged on a neutral-race policy the impact for whites would be negligible...Minorities make up a relatively small section of the applicant pool. 

While her 166/3.4 would put her mainly in contention for schools 15-30, it would be the same for you.  You might be able to pull off a school ranked a few spots higher, but you would still not likely get into Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern, etc.

Still SeaBiscuit, I feel ya.   Definitely have had the same thoughts at times - though I am convinced that what's for me is not always best for society.

SeaBiscuit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 12:54:16 PM »
I should clarify--I didn't apply to the Columbias or Harvards, I knew that would be a waste of time, but thought that I could perhaps squeek into one of Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown, or Cornell.

I don't think that's going to happen, but I'm fairly confident that if I were a black female, I'd be in at those schools.  And that just irks me, because when I look at my black friends they're just the same in any way as my Asian/white/Ecuadorian/Columbian/French Canadian friends.  And it's not like I grew up in a mansion on Long Island, my family was not well off and I went to a pretty bad public high school.  I wish there was no racism in the world, I wish we had economic equality among all races, but as of right now I just wish I could get into a law school that I think matches my accomplishments.

Whatever.  I'm just whining.

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 01:33:46 PM »
When I got my score, 166, I danced around the living room in my underwear.  However, after spending time on this site and LSN, I feel like a moron.

LOL! I know the feeling. After being on XOXO for a while I really thought a good score meant 177-180.  When I got a 175 I thought..."well, it aint THAT bad!" I hate XOXO for taking that joy away from me!  >:(

rwhitman

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 03:01:27 PM »
Being female alone doesn't qualify for AA, there are more females now applying to law school, especially among the black population where the males less typically pursue undergrad and grad degrees.

Just wanted to make that point, but yeah minorities do get some boost in admissions.  I think it's good to a certain extent to make the good law schools equally available to all races.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 01:28:03 AM »
When I read the posts by people that are disappointed to be white because it somehow hurts law school chances, I wonder how many would really want to BE a URM.

Where I work, all the jobs go to young white men. Recently, I was passed over for a promotion and the job was given to a less-experienced and objectively less-qualified white man.

We can't become minorities or whites based upon what is convenient, or best for our careers. If that were the case, I would probably decide to be a white man on job interviews.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

BigBadBo

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 10:41:14 AM »
I agree with you dbgirl - most URM's have an appreciably more difficult life than white males.

However I am imagine you do know affirmative action is very prevalent among reputable businesses also...?

Banking, Law, any large corporation...

It's quite telling when a law firm interviews at all of the top 14 and Howard... or a bank has a minority action program to bring more qualified minorities to company management....

It's because they want to increase diversity in their company - whether they believe it is good for their company or they're just trying to improve appearances isn't really the issue.

I'm sure at the base level - in your situation for example - this isn't the case.  But all things being equal, it is easier to attain a professional job as a minority than a white male.  Perhaps there is a glass ceiling of sorts once you're there...

Jennaye

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 11:10:11 AM »
When I read the posts by people that are disappointed to be white because it somehow hurts law school chances, I wonder how many would really want to BE a URM.

This is an excellent point

But it still doesn't completely take away the sting of AA in law school applications....  :'(