Law School Discussion

Does visiting help?

F05HOPEFUL

Does visiting help?
« on: February 24, 2005, 09:13:20 PM »
Need opinions.

Suppose an adcomm has been sitting on my app since late October and I really wanted to go to that school.  Would an out of state visit impress or make no difference?

My new top choice is West Virginia ( LSAC 2003 5 of 9 in my score band / Chiatshu 25%)
Could I tip the scales with a visit (it would cost only about 200-300 for all accomadations)?

Comments appreciated.

Re: Does visiting help?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 05:24:25 AM »
I don't think it will make a difference.  But who am I to say. I am not the adcomm.  Why is WVU your top choice now? 

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 05:44:14 AM »
It depends on whether or not you can meet with an admissions committee member.  Some schools won't do interviews at all, in which case, visiting might not mean much.  But if they agree to meet with you (and when you ask, play it up in a "I have some questions I'd like to go over" kind of way), then you can at the very least have a chance to leave a good impression and give a little more insight as to who you are.

Oh, and by the way, it's not chiatshu, it's chiashu.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 06:00:06 AM »
your last "oh and by the way" comment seems a little demeaning. maybe i woke up on the cranky side but when people are asking for questions about visits and you have to correct the spelling of something that is really irrelevant, it seems a bit petty and demeaning

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 06:54:57 AM »
I was just correcting a mistake/misconception that F05 has made several times, leading me to think that it wasn't a typo.

If was was being petty and demeaning, I wouldn't have even answered the question.  I also would have followed that up with a "hth".

HTH

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 09:06:04 AM »
cool lingo

Lgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 11:29:47 AM »
I think it does, but in an indirect way. When I visited Boalt over the summer I didn't meet anybody on the adcom, but I did ask to sit in on a class. I then spoke in it and introduced myself to the professor (they tell you to do that, out of politeness) and was able to put in my addendum that I had visited and loved the school etc. I also got to put that 'doing a logical reasoning question is different from being faced with a legal stimulus' etc etc. I reckon it helped with my admission. But of course that's pe-app. Maybe you could just send such a letter as 'extra info' later on in the process though.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 12:31:35 PM »
your last "oh and by the way" comment seems a little demeaning. maybe i woke up on the cranky side but when people are asking for questions about visits and you have to correct the spelling of something that is really irrelevant, it seems a bit petty and demeaning

Spelled either way, the site uses stale numbers, and in no way reflects this years' applicant pool. A school's website is usually the best place to go for odds-making. Other than that, go with LSAC.