Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dyslexic/disabled applicants  (Read 1263 times)

fresnelp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dyslexic/disabled applicants
« on: July 26, 2002, 05:00:28 PM »
Hi all,

Any comments about disabled applicants? For instance dyslexic applicants?

Should one mention a learning or a visual disability in his/her statement? On the one hand if one's scores and achievements are high, mentioning about the disability would be a plus, because it would be a proof of will to succeed. On the other hand, the admission officers might have concerns about these applicants' ability to succeed through the program, hence they might deny admission. Any comments?

Peter

rajumper

• Hairball
    • View Profile
Re: Dyslexic/disabled applicants
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2002, 08:28:13 AM »
From what I can tell about the law school admissions process, the top two considerations that schools will look at is your GPA and your LSAT score.  If you have killer scores, your odds are that much better.

Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean you will be shut out because of poor scores, either.  Which where the Personal Statement comes into play.

Regarding your disability, because it sounds as though your disablity is an on-going issue and also because you seem to have overcome it as a challenge versus an obstacle, I would bring it up as a point in the Personal Statement and accentuate the positive (assuming the application asks for factors as to why you would succeed at law school).  In other words, put a positive spin on it to show the admissions committees that even with your disability you will be a successful student and future attorney.

As a matter of fact, your disability could be your PS theme, if done tactfully.

Hope this helps.  Godspeed.

jgruber

Re: Dyslexic/disabled applicants
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 11:38:23 AM »
Curiosity forces me to ask.  Does your disability drastically reduce your reading speed?  From everything, I've read about law school, we (assuming I get in, it's we) will have a ton o' reading to do.