Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 424097 times)

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Law School Numbers
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2005, 08:56:06 PM »
Yes, Mobell that is really good advice and I will definitely follow it. I'm really anal when it comes to papers and things like that, but there's no better help than that coming from those who have been there, done that and been successfull so thanks!
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances?
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2005, 09:23:06 PM »
Okay.  I read some post and articles about writing a personal statement and not solely relying on and over doing your minority status.  When you guys wrote your statements how did you handle that?  I figured anyone can write on traditional stereotypical hardships facing minorities statement even if they don't necessarily apply to them.  Did any of you not even mention the fact the you are a minority? 

My personal statement was more about the stuff I'd overcome, and my family's background had alot to do with it. It was probably more socioeconomically-focused than race-focused, though, and even *that* was part of a general theme of overcoming obstacles ... be it a poor background, first semester at college, etc.

Mobell: I wanna know why you felt uncomfortable @ stanford. I probably already know (and it's probably close to my feelings as well), but still. PM me!

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2005, 09:53:18 PM »
There are also some books especially tailored to the personal statements of minorities, Af Ams in particular. I couldn't find too many for Latinos at the library, though. Also, I think the PDF at www.forpeopleofcolor.org might be of help, too.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2005, 04:38:51 AM »
But if you don't have access to an admissions counselor, or that kind of money, who do you go to for essay help? Undergrad professors? Pre-Law advisors? It seems like no matter who I go to, no one is going to be as good as some one who used to help students get into law school for a living.

Come to us and other law-focused people. Read How to Get Into the Top Law Schools.  Pre-law advisors and undergrad profs are hit-or-miss, and there is no way you should shell out a lot of money for someone to make your essay look just like many other applicants' work.  Read examples online and in books.  Some people who have already applied may let you read theirs as well.

GOOD ADVICE!!! :)

Aww...thanks! Just trying to follow in your footsteps. :-* ;)

You are very welcome.  Awwwwww, you are a sweet person.   :-[ :-*  You ready for school in the fall????

I am actually counting the minutes.  We just lost a race that I was working on down here...sometimes I think I never want to come back to this state! >:( :'(

I know the feeling.  Dont worry, that time will get here soon enough. :)  Sorry that you lost a race, but that is probably a good reason why you SHOULD be going back there.  (if I am correct, you are in SC, right?)  SC needs you to come back and bring your skills, abilities, enthusiasm, education and local knowledge to help turn things around.  Dont be discouraged. :) :) :)
Back in the saddle again.

Dotson

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2005, 10:32:49 AM »

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2005, 07:22:54 AM »
American University dorms..look into their rates
I did.  :(  :'(

Rates
Main Campus and Tenley Campus: $221 per person/per week for double occupancy and $269 per person/per week for single occupancy. (Remember, singles are limited and requests that we cannot honor automatically default to double accommodations.) Interns also have the option of requesting a Double Room as a Single since our single rooms are limited.

Double as a Single: Depending on occupancy, Summer Interns who wish to be housed in singles but aren't able to be assigned to one may be given the option of buying out their double room and keeping it as a single for the summer. Students living in bought-out singles will be charged at a rate that is only slightly higher, $300 per week. You may indicate your preference for a "Double as a Single" on your online application.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2005, 08:07:25 AM »
Mobell,
You need to 86 the SC thing and chill in the Chocolate city getting more disillusioned--but happy

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2005, 11:50:01 AM »
Mobell,
You need to 86 the SC thing and chill in the Chocolate city getting more disillusioned--but happy

I don't know about completely 86ing SC, but the Chocolate City is where I'd love to be right about now...or better yet, New HAVEN!  How many more days do we have left, E?

how many days of financial freedom to I have left?  haven't wanted to count  :'(

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
What are my chances?
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2005, 11:16:32 PM »
I'm new to this website; a close friend recommended it. I took the June LSAT...didn't do so well. I'll be applying for admission in Fall 2006 with a 163/3.91.

I'm trying to get into Harvard (surprise, surprise).

What do you guys think my chances are? I think I need an impartial opinion.

Thanks in advance!
Who's your Daddy now?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances?
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2005, 11:59:41 PM »
I don't know about Harvard. But you have a good chance at some top schools like Michigan, Duke and Northwestern. You might want to go to the site lawschoolnumbers. And I think someone on this board got into Harvard. Good luck to you. I also sent you a message offline.

I'm new to this website; a close friend recommended it. I took the June LSAT...didn't do so well. I'll be applying for admission in Fall 2006 with a 163/3.91.

I'm trying to get into Harvard (surprise, surprise).

What do you guys think my chances are? I think I need an impartial opinion.

Thanks in advance!