Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 432889 times)

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2005, 07:51:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I graduated from UNC in 2003 and majored in econ.  I have been getting "apply everywhere" from a lot of people but that is going to be very expensive.  Does anyone know how and when schools decide to give you a application fee waiver?  Do they look at your LSAT only or work experience as well?  I don't know if I can explain away my grades but I did work while in school so I will mention that.  I feel like my post college work experience is solid = worked for Sen. Edwards Senate office for 2 years and now as a legislative analyst at lobbying firm in DC.  Hopefully this will be enough to make up for my low grades.  I know this sounds crazy but does anyone think it makes sense to retake the lsat and try to move up to a 177 range.  3.2/177 looks a lot better than 3.2/171  

They decide to send you the waivers based on the LSAT and GPA Information on your LSAC account.

To get any waivers, you must sign up with CRS.  To do this, go to the LSAC website, click on the Profile Tab --> Authorizations --> and check "Release my info to ABA approved schools."

You can also release your info to NON-ABA approved schools, but there's no real point in that considering where you intend to end up.

My advice: Use any and all of these waivers (even those in the 30-50 range) and then blanket the Top 20 (there should be some overlap).  Each waiver means applying to that law school costs only $12 (for the LSAC report, which you must pay no matter what--the waivers only waive the school's fees, not the LSDAS fees).

I basically DOUBLED my exposure from 12 schools to 25 by using waivers (12 schools x 12 reports = $144).  Any school that doesn't give you a waiver will cost you the $60/70/80 PLUS the $12 report fee.  And keep in mind that these reports must be prepaid--otherwise your application, though submitted to the school, will never go complete.

So yeah, it's expensive, but the waivers are a good way to hedge your bets on the cheap, and you just never know how things are going to work out for you!  Better to cast your net wide once than to be unhappy with the results and have to do it all again later...

GOOD LUCK!

Dotson

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2005, 09:15:38 AM »
This has been extremely helpful.  I've read online about the majority of the schools I am planning on applying to and am going to spend the rest of June and early July reading on the rest.  Does anyone have any insight they could share about how they like/fit in/feel about being a minority at their school?  Are any school atmospheres extremely hostile and others more welcoming?  You can't really get the most objective assestment from the school websites. 

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2005, 10:25:17 AM »
This has been extremely helpful.  I've read online about the majority of the schools I am planning on applying to and am going to spend the rest of June and early July reading on the rest.  Does anyone have any insight they could share about how they like/fit in/feel about being a minority at their school?  Are any school atmospheres extremely hostile and others more welcoming?  You can't really get the most objective assestment from the school websites. 

You'll get a better feel once you're at the admit weekend. Usually they'll have a minority-themed session or, as was the case for Stanford, have us arrive a day or two earlier. If you're looking at Boalt, though, all of my friends have felt very, very welcome there. It's probably one of the most welcoming places for minorities, actually.

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Numbers
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2005, 10:53:32 AM »
I don't see any minority with those numbers on LSN. At least, not on a legitimate-looking account.

faith2005

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2005, 11:08:37 AM »
i have around those numbers on lsn, but i didn't get into columbia, stanford etc. mc, maybe she's looking at something from past years?

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2005, 11:15:57 AM »
i have around those numbers on lsn, but i didn't get into columbia, stanford etc. mc, maybe she's looking at something from past years?

Maybe ... I'll take a look.

EDIT: nope.

faith2005

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2005, 12:22:07 PM »
hmm, mc, thats weird. i didn't see anything like that either. esp. if you go through the schools and check for people who've been accepted. strange huh? :-\

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2005, 12:37:47 PM »
hmm, mc, thats weird. i didn't see anything like that either. esp. if you go through the schools and check for people who've been accepted. strange huh? :-\

That's true now that I look...I was going off these:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=Shaquan

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=luckyblackman

and there's more where that came from. I guess they could be lying...who knows.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

jassulli

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2005, 12:44:41 PM »
my suspicion is that some people troll on that site and make those types of (fake) accounts to rile up people who are against affirmative action, or turn people against it who arent otherwise.  this isnt to say theyre all fake, but i wouldnt take it too seriously, if i were you.  aim where you want, and do the best with what you have.  good luck.

Dotson

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2005, 01:06:26 PM »
Okay.  I read some post and articles about writing a personal statement and not solely relying on and over doing your minority status.  When you guys wrote your statements how did you handle that?  I figured anyone can write on traditional stereotypical hardships facing minorities statement even if they don't necessarily apply to them.  Did any of you not even mention the fact the you are a minority?