Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 429006 times)

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Chances?
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2005, 02:38:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I graduated from UNC in 2003 and majored in econ.  I have been getting "apply everywhere" from a lot of people but that is going to be very expensive.  Does anyone know how and when schools decide to give you a application fee waiver?  Do they look at your LSAT only or work experience as well?  I don't know if I can explain away my grades but I did work while in school so I will mention that.  I feel like my post college work experience is solid = worked for Sen. Edwards Senate office for 2 years and now as a legislative analyst at lobbying firm in DC.  Hopefully this will be enough to make up for my low grades.  I know this sounds crazy but does anyone think it makes sense to retake the lsat and try to move up to a 177 range.  3.2/177 looks a lot better than 3.2/171  

I think that is stupid.  If you retake a 171, I personally will come over there and knock you over the head.  Save your money and the angst.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2005, 02:42:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I graduated from UNC in 2003 and majored in econ.  I have been getting "apply everywhere" from a lot of people but that is going to be very expensive.  Does anyone know how and when schools decide to give you a application fee waiver?  Do they look at your LSAT only or work experience as well?  I don't know if I can explain away my grades but I did work while in school so I will mention that.  I feel like my post college work experience is solid = worked for Sen. Edwards Senate office for 2 years and now as a legislative analyst at lobbying firm in DC.  Hopefully this will be enough to make up for my low grades.  I know this sounds crazy but does anyone think it makes sense to retake the lsat and try to move up to a 177 range.  3.2/177 looks a lot better than 3.2/171  

hey, can you get me a job?

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2005, 02:47:59 PM »
i don't know how the waivers work..but you're right the app process is expensive... make a list of your top schools and your safeties and apply..

market yourself the same way that you'd market yourself for your career.. if you have a dream school.. apply to it.. as pearl said..all they can do is say no.. and in that regard nothing will change..but if you don't apply.. you'll never know what the outcome could be

don't settle because you don't think you can get in...

what kind of law do you want to study?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Dotson

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2005, 03:07:51 PM »
If I keep posting on this site at work, I may be looking for a job too.  I want to stay involved in democratic politics as well as practice.  From what I have read the best way to do that is to join up with a big firm.  I do not want to be a corporate attorney though.  I would like to do work in a field where I can make a difference and really help people, and not just line my pockets.   

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2005, 03:36:40 PM »
If I keep posting on this site at work, I may be looking for a job too.  I want to stay involved in democratic politics as well as practice.   I would like to do work in a field where I can make a difference and really help people, and not just line my pockets.   

Hey Dotson! I think you should go to the school that offers you the most money. With your numbers, you should have plenty of cash coming your way. It will be difficult to line your pockets, let alone pay off your student loans, if you truly want to help people out. It's refreshing to see someone on this board that is interested in something besides BIG LAW! Best of luck ;)

ellenbee

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2005, 05:07:47 PM »
Congrats on your score!  ;D
"Law school is like groundhog day. Every day is the same, you see the same people in the same places doing the same stuff every damn day. You get no feedback and basically pay 40K a year to teach yourself law and get harassed by professors. What a racket." - RonSantoRules

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2005, 05:33:44 PM »
If there's anything that's going to hold you back it's going to be that GPA ... which you can do nothing about at this point. Apply to all of the t14 schools; I don't think you'll have to worry about not getting into a top 10 school.

elegantpearl01

Re: Law School Numbers
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2005, 07:15:06 PM »
According to lawschoolnumbers.com, a Black female with a 3.3/161 can get into Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Georgetown. The numbers and results for non-urms seems to be a lot different. Either thest people are lying, or I need to stop worrying so much about my stats. Is it possible that it's true, a minority has a good chance of getting in with these low #'s?

I wouldn't put too much stock into those sites, who is to say that the person is actually putting in their correct information. People lie all the time about law school applications, LSAT scores etc.  I mean you can never tell what may move the admissions committee. I don't put much stock into "predicting" whether you will get into a school..within reason..obviously if you have a 2.6 and 145 you probably aren't going to get into many schools. But don't compare yourself to other people.  Like there are folks who may have those scores who worked for a fortune 500 company for two years, majored in a hard science,  have recommendations from powerful alumni, elected officials, etc...you just never know. I say just worry about making your applications the best you can.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2005, 07:25:11 PM »
Dotson, you need to give me your current job...lol...sounds more interesting than law. I lobby also, but unfortunately it's only 50% of our practice.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2005, 07:31:59 PM »
I echo the apply-to-the-t14 advice.  You could probably drop a few of the bottom t14 if you know you don't want to go there.  For instance, I didn't apply to Boalt or Northwestern.  Lots of schools let you retroactively apply their fee waivers, so don't delay your apps just to wait for a fee waiver.  Finally, your LSAT score is great...don't retake and risk doing worse (look at the retake stats for the 170s).