Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 431768 times)

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Law School Numbers
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2005, 09:20:21 PM »
According to lawschoolnumbers.com, a Black female with a 3.3/161 can get into Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Georgetown. The numbers and results for non-urms seems to be a lot different. Either thest people are lying, or I need to stop worrying so much about my stats. Is it possible that it's true, a minority has a good chance of getting in with these low #'s?
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Numbers
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2005, 11:15:17 PM »
Depends on what else you have going for you.  I'd say GULC, yes.  The others seem unlikely unless you have done some good stuff.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Numbers
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2005, 12:07:54 AM »
That's the wrong mentality to have.  Someone can get into those places with those numbers, perhaps, but people right here on BLSD were also rejected from similar schools with higher numbers.  There are no guarantees.  You need to have a strong overall package, esp. if you're coming into it with marginal numbers (for your target schools.)  For all you know, the 3.3/161 could be a published author or overcome some amazing obstacles.  Don't allow your URM status to make you too comfortable.  Best of luck and PM me if I can be of any help.

Dotson

Chances?
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2005, 07:13:54 PM »

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chances?
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 07:15:54 PM »
Apply to all. You've got a good chance at all the top 10 schools.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2005, 01:02:11 PM »
Dotson,
welcome to the board!  what part of South Carolina are you from?

I would say you'd have a excellent shot at all but perhaps HYS unless you can explain away the GPA or you've got some other factors that would make you stand out in which case H+S are definite possibilities.  Yale I think would be a stretch given the GPA.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2005, 01:13:03 PM »
I say apply everywhere, one can never tell how extracurriculars, work experience and recommendations play into the mix. All they can do is say no, so why not apply?

faith2005

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »
what kind of school did you go to? or what was your major? I think a 3.23 from HYS will get you into HYS with that lsat score. and depending on your major at whatever school you went to, you'll have a good chance at those schools as well. good luck!

Dotson

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2005, 02:25:34 PM »

faith2005

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2005, 02:37:28 PM »
i think it depends on the school, but the ones i applied to did fee waivers for financial circumstances. it slowed down the process considerably in my case though. i applied and sent in the fee waiver application to a couple of schools and didn't get any notice that my app had been received and processed until like 4 weeks after my applications were in. it was really weird. i think it was a good idea that i didn't do it for all of the schools i applied to b/c if it had delayed all of my applications, that might have been a problem b/c i didn't apply until december/january.

i think you have really good chances wherever you apply. if you really want to go to hys, i would suggest you start talking to the folks on the board/or who you know personally who go there and get their suggestions about your ps etc.