Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 421717 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3790 on: May 15, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »
::dusts off prognostication hat::

H, perhaps. S is less likely, though it depends on how "+" you are.  Y is a GPA whore, so I'd say probably not, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply.

jf215

• View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: June 27, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
I've been lurking for the longest, registered with a new username (because the old one was dumb), and am back. I'm super depressed - just got my LSAT score and scored well below (5+ points) below my PT average, but I could use some feedback now as to where I should apply.

me:

AA female.
GPA: 3.55-3.60 range (from an ivy)
LSAT: 163
pretty decent softs - published in academic journal and a few other places, etc.

I'm going to retake in October, and hopefully I'll crack 170, but for now, just wanted to know where I should consider applying.

Thanks!

UptheBayou

• View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: June 29, 2011, 01:51:59 AM »
Hello! I'm also new here and not entirely sure how it works but here goes:

I'm really interested in applying to Michigan, Virginia, Texas, and UPenn in the upcoming cycle.
Any opinions on my chances, and realistic chances for scholarships, would be much appreciated :) Just trying to figure this out:

About me:
AA female, 3.96 from an HYP Ivy, 167 LSAT. Out of school for 3 years so far doing policy and child advocacy work and teaching. Strong softs (I think!), as they say. I'm really interested in child advocacy and special education law.

Realistic assessment of my chances would be so very helpful. And if you think I would need to retake LSAT to have a shot at scholarships.
Thanks!
PS. This is an awesome thread. Thanks for keeping it going :)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: June 30, 2011, 07:14:39 AM »
I've been lurking for the longest, registered with a new username (because the old one was dumb), and am back. I'm super depressed - just got my LSAT score and scored well below (5+ points) below my PT average, but I could use some feedback now as to where I should apply.

me:

AA female.
GPA: 3.55-3.60 range (from an ivy)
LSAT: 163
pretty decent softs - published in academic journal and a few other places, etc.

I'm going to retake in October, and hopefully I'll crack 170, but for now, just wanted to know where I should consider applying.

Thanks!

I'd target the middle to lower t14.  Reach above that and add in safeties.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: June 30, 2011, 07:16:53 AM »

I'm really interested in applying to Michigan, Virginia, Texas, and UPenn in the upcoming cycle.
Any opinions on my chances, and realistic chances for scholarships, would be much appreciated :) Just trying to figure this out:

About me:
AA female, 3.96 from an HYP Ivy, 167 LSAT. Out of school for 3 years so far doing policy and child advocacy work and teaching. Strong softs (I think!), as they say. I'm really interested in child advocacy and special education law.

Realistic assessment of my chances would be so very helpful. And if you think I would need to retake LSAT to have a shot at scholarships.
Thanks!

I think you have a very good chance at all of those, and probably money from a few.  If I were you, I'd apply to all of the t14.  Yale and Stanford will be a reach, but you never know.

Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: July 08, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »

About me:

Thanks!

I had a lower GPA, but slightly higher LSAT and got a Hamilton at Columbia, Full ride at UVA, etc. So, with your numbers, I think you'll be able to get scholarships with your current numbers.

JustAskin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3796 on: July 29, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
What is a reasonable LSAT lower bound for HLS for

HYP 3.55UGPA (phil/natural science)
Stanford/MIT science grad student
Black male/economically disadvantaged background

after graduate school? I know I am leaving out extracurricular activities and specific details about which programs I attended, so I am asking for an interval of scores in the form [LSAT_min(weak extracurriculars,...), LSAT_min(strong extracurriculars,...)] that would make my chance for admission >50%.

JustAskin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3797 on: July 29, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
Correction:

I am asking for an interval of scores in the form [LSAT_min(strong extracurriculars,...), LSAT_min(weak extracurriculars,...)] that would make my chance for admission >50%.

bstar11

• View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: June 11, 2012, 08:04:01 AM »
What would be the chances of an African American male with 3.5 and 162 applying to HYSCCN? great essays, good but not stellar recommendations, and otherwise standard softs.

A professor who studies diversity in the law is a black Columbia Law grad from like 20-25 years ago said that a 3.5 162 will get you into Harvard but it is unclear whether that means that those numbers give you a fighting chance or guarantees your admission. Lawschoolnumbers puts URM admittees to Harvard at an average of 3.8 168.

Also, what about these two friends' chances at HYSCCN and T14:

1. First generation college student, Mexican American male, 3.3 164.

2. African American male, 3.69 165, lower ivy undergrad (Penn, Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown), standard softs.

Thanks

ebonyman22

• View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: September 14, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »
African American male
I was made to study engineering and math, I had a 3.5 GPA from a good university
LSAT 164 sadly
PhD from a top university

Should I ED to Columbia or NYU? Please advise