Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 425636 times)

sunrise7

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3770 on: November 13, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »
I am a black female undergrad student. I took the Oct. LSAT and made a 148. My cumulative gpa is a 2.99, with my degree granting gpa a 3.70. ( I went to a few 2yr schools, a long time ago, and my grades weren't so hot back then). Im involved in school organizations, president of one and a member of another. My question is, is there any chance of me getting into a school in the Atlanta, Ga area (please do not say John Marshall) or should I study and retake the LSAT next year and wait to apply for the fall 2012 school year? Any thoughts?

Thanks

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: November 26, 2010, 04:25:08 PM »
(please do not say John Marshall)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it and similar schools are probably your only hope.  You need to do much better on the LSAT (think 160s to counterbalance that GPA (no one really cares about degree granting)) to get into a school like Emory or UGA.

reaisan

• View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: December 05, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
I am a black female undergrad student. I took the Oct. LSAT and made a 148. My cumulative gpa is a 2.99, with my degree granting gpa a 3.70. ( I went to a few 2yr schools, a long time ago, and my grades weren't so hot back then). Im involved in school organizations, president of one and a member of another. My question is, is there any chance of me getting into a school in the Atlanta, Ga area (please do not say John Marshall) or should I study and retake the LSAT next year and wait to apply for the fall 2012 school year? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Well, you may have a shot at Georgia State with your softs. But if you wait any longer to apply, you may have just shut yourself out for this year. But! Please, please retake.

reaisan

• View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: December 05, 2010, 04:42:25 PM »
Taking the Dec LSAT and don't expect anything too hot.

I heard WUSTL takes February scores from their admissions board. With a 3.27 GPA, what sort of LSAT score would I need to be competitive for WUSTL? I also have pretty strong softs.

Also, does anyone know where URMs have a strong boost from applying Early Decision?
Cornell, right?
GW, GT?
Emory?

Letta gurl know! :D Take care.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3774 on: December 05, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »
Look at lawschoolnumbers.com and you can see what LSAT score you need.  It looks like for WUSTL a URM can get in a 3.27 and a 160 LSAT.

URM's get a strong boost regardless of when they apply and lawschoolnumbers.com will show you that.

The soft factors don't really matter almost anyone at any law school has done something pretty cool. So it all comes down to LSAT, GPA, and URM status.

If all your materials are ready to go send them in right now and then take the LSAT. There is no penalty for applying before the LSAT score is in and the earlier you apply the better. It does not make that much of a difference, but it certainty doesn't hurt. Well good luck to you.

vdjenkins

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3775 on: January 06, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
All right. I'm sort of stuck here with where I should apply, so I thought I'd try to get some help.

AA male
lsat 159, retook ... 158
3.15 gpa

Only thing I may have going for a soft is that I was active duty military for 10+ years, and earned a bachelor's and master's degree during that time.

Would like to go to the best school I can. Even thinking of applying to Georgetown's and George Washington's part time programs to get my foot in the door. I expected to get a better score on my retake, and sent in lots of apps early to all top 14 schools (which was a mistake). Now I have just a little money left and need to be a bit more judicious. Any recommendations? Took a look at lawschoolnumbers, but there isn't a lot there. I would certainly appreciate any help.

Tayloshe

• View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: January 14, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »
AA Male
will be 3 years of full time post grad experience in Financial Services
LSAT 153 (after 148)
3.0 GPA (give or take I think LSAC is 2.98)

Softs:
Football through junior year then worked 30 hours per week (not including two summer tax internships). Three student orgs, (pres of frat, minority student association, entrepreneurs club) study abroad junior year.Accounting Major.

Post Grad
Pretty decent letters (undergrad business dean, former vp of co. and local attorney) and accepted to CLEO summer institute. Community Service project coordinator and took a course at local community college in writing.   

Anyone know of my chances in the lower tier 1 . .I really want to go to Depaul or loyola chicago

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3777 on: January 14, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »
Check out lawschoolnumbers.com it looks like you would have a decent shot at Depaul. A URM with a 3.25 and 152 was admitted there last year. A URM with a 3.0 and 150 got into Loyola. I think you definelty have a shot at either school and lawschoolnumbers.com is just a great place to look for answers regarding admission. A lot of times you can e-mail the student/poster directly and get first hand feedback from them regarding the school. Hope that helps you somewhat.

Jwebony956

• Planning my work, working my plan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »
Can ya'll please come back?  :'(  :'(  :'(

I miss the LSD days especially BLSD. No where else compares.

Thanks to the few remaining old heads that still take the time to pop in ever so often, but on the real, BLSD was the greatest.  :(
Top 6 Choices:
Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: January 18, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Man!

Looking at it now, its hard to believe this site used to be legendary!  There used to be at least 100 comments EACH DAY on the BLSD board alone.  Today, it doens't even look like there have been 100 comments over the last year. 

It seems like the recent classes of law school applicants are less concerned with general conversation with other fellow applicants and are more concerned with lawschool numbers.  (???)

Can ya'll please come back?  :'(  :'(  :'(

I miss the LSD days especially BLSD. No where else compares.

Thanks to the few remaining old heads that still take the time to pop in ever so often, but on the real, BLSD was the greatest.  :(
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston