Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 425445 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3740 on: June 25, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »
If you really studied as hard as you could then that is probably the best you can do. You could keep retaking the LSAT over and over spend another years of life focusing on it why not just go to law school and become a lawyer. The rankings etc don't matter that much if you are a good lawyer people will figure it out no matter what school you go to. 

bafanahoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: June 25, 2010, 10:42:36 PM »
Thanks for your help and putting things into perspective

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: June 26, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
The rankings etc don't matter that much if you are a good lawyer people will figure it out no matter what school you go to.

Um, do you not read Above the Law?  This kind of thinking is why so many lawyers end up unemployed and in thousands of dollars of debt. 

Bafanahoy, you're probably not getting into GULC with those numbers.  But if your score is at the upper end of where you were testing, then I'm not sure it's worth retaking unless you can take a course or something to raise your proficiency.  And if you don't go to a t14 or a top state/regional school in the region where you want to practice, make sure you're not paying anyone to go where you ultimately attend.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3743 on: June 27, 2010, 12:54:12 AM »
Go to law school if you want to be a lawyer and you will go in debt. It is a risk you should know that, but people on the internet will just say don't go to law school unless you go into T/14, but that is bull****. I work know with plenty of people who did not go to elite schools who do well you can get a J.D., M.B.A, M.D., RN, Teaching Certificate, Police Officer Certificate, etc there is a risk and it is hard to get any career started. 

If you put in the work it will generally work out, but possibly not. You can go work as bank teller for 40 years and never take a risk and be fine as well.  Use your common sense when going to law school and know nothing will come easy, but nothing in life does.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: June 27, 2010, 08:23:08 AM »
but people on the internet will just say don't go to law school unless you go into T/14, but that is bull****.

That's not what I said.  I said:

And if you don't go to a t14 or a top state/regional school in the region where you want to practice, make sure you're not paying anyone to go where you ultimately attend.

I agree that not everyone has to go to a t14.  But if you don't go to one, then the risk of assuming tens of thousands of dollars of debt is worth it only if you go to a top state/regional school in the region where you want to practice.  In this economy, I advise no one to take on significant debt to go to law school outside of those parameters.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3745 on: June 27, 2010, 12:13:41 PM »
The economy will improve as it always has. This is not the first time America has had a rescission and all industries have significant ups & downs, but the beauty of having a degree is it lasts for your entire life. In 10 years the economy will probably be fine again and in 20 years it will be a huge rescission that is just the way it goes. If you have a J.D. you will be a lawyer in the good times and the bad so if you want to be a lawyer go to law school.   

Good school or not if it is ABA approved and you pass the bar you will be a lawyer. At that point it will be up to you to figure it out. Of course it will be harder going to a lower ranked school to get a start, but you can certainly do it.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: June 27, 2010, 03:44:56 PM »
::shrugs:: your life

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: June 27, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »
This chart should be required for analysis pre-law school:

For those who aren't going to T14 schools or top regional schools and plan to pay for the entirety of their education in student loans, just look to see what salary it is you will likely make. Note: it's not going to be the right-most peak. If you intend to take out all school expenses in loans, assuming that is $100K (which is low) and that the interest rate is 6.8% (which is low because GradPLUS loans are at what, 8.5%), then your loan repayment each month is almost $1151 for a 10 year repayment plan. If you're only making $50K per year, your lifestyle would be untenable on that repayment plan as your take home pay in a state like California would be about $3033 per month. That also doesn't take into account things like rent, transportation costs, medical insurance, food, etc., not to mention putting money away into a regular savings and retirement savings vehicle.

Moral of the story is that you could be one of those miracle cases that makes a good living from a lower ranked school that makes it possible to pay off all your student loans quite easily. But, it doesn't make sense to gamble with your future in the hopes that you will be the exception to the rule.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: June 27, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »
Indeed.  I know this girl who just graduated from a T4 with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.  According to her facebook status updates, she's just praying for a waitressing job at this point.  And if/when she does get a legal job, it certainly won't be paying $100k+.  But, she's a lawyer!

Sadly, I also know several recent grads of top state/regional schools, and a even a few t14 grads, who are similarly resigning themselves to whatever non-legal job they can find.  But ex ante, the potential reward still might equal or outweigh the risk of unemployment at those schools.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3749 on: June 27, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
I know with a bachelor's degree who has never had a job period. Education is a risk I hope it is not news to anybody, but that is the way it is. No school has your back at the end of the day if your a Harvard Grad and you fail the bar your not getting your tuition money back same things applies at Cooley. It is a tough profession to get into and it may or may not work out.  You someone on facebook with a law degree is looking for a waitress job wow I know a guy who recently graduated from GGU making 200,000 a year right now. Those are both extreme examples and for the majority of people it will be somewhere in the middle they will probably find a job making 50K or 60k at the beginning and as you get more experience like in any field your pay will increase that is the general rule in any business.

Yes the loans will be a female dog to pay off. You can do income-based repayment, defer your loans, etc. It is a huge financial risk and not something you should take lightly, but at the end of the day you are learning a skill that you will have for 40 years the rest of your life actually. This girl working as a waitress will probably find a legal job at some point. That is why I say that a degree lasts your entire life getting yoru foot in the door in any industry is hard.