Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 424341 times)

MosDef1185

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3720 on: January 19, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »
well it sounds like your predictions were pretty spot on...I have the first HLS phone interview on Friday.

Nervous does not even begin to describe how I'm feeling right now.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: January 19, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
Congrats.  Just be yourself; the hard part is over.

jaw5xs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3722 on: January 24, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »
I'm a Black male at UVA.

Economics Major with a minor in Global Culture and Commerce

3.2 GPA and a 166 LSAT

I'm pretty involved on campus and have had internships at the U.S. Department of Education and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for the last 4 years.

What are my chances at any of the t14?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: January 24, 2010, 08:59:22 PM »
Target the mid-t14.  You should get into some.  Apply to CCN and H too.

MosDef1185

• View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: February 01, 2010, 04:23:54 AM »
So, in case anyone was wondering, I did in fact get into Harvard earlier this week!!!!!!!

I have withdrawn from all of my other schools save for Chicago, Michigan, Columbia and NYU, and I am wondering if there is any logic in even keeping those apps alive. I want to work at a V10 for a few years before eventually moving into finance/business. Therefore, I suspect that any additional debt I'd be taking on by choosing H won't be such a big deal.

Thanks again!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: February 01, 2010, 06:35:42 AM »
Congrats.  Yeah I'd consider money at the other places.  They'll still get you biglaw, but you won't have to write a fat check to a loan provider every month once you get there.  Trust me, there are other things you'd rather do with the money, like invest or save it, or even buy a nice watch or a new suit.  That said, if Harvard offers decent aid, go with it.

MosDef1185

• View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: February 01, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »
Congrats.  Yeah I'd consider money at the other places.  They'll still get you biglaw, but you won't have to write a fat check to a loan provider every month once you get there.  Trust me, there are other things you'd rather do with the money, like invest or save it, or even buy a nice watch or a new suit.  That said, if Harvard offers decent aid, go with it.

sure. as someone that has already graduated, i'm sure youve got a better grasp of what BIG DEBT means than I do.

i've heard people mention that employment prospects are better for urms than others, all else equal. therefore, I wonder if an above median urm would still have a shot at the super-elite firms coming out of a chicago or nyu given that some dont come to oci. also, is there something to be said for having HYS on the resume should one decide to transition out of law?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: February 01, 2010, 11:04:45 PM »
Congrats.  Yeah I'd consider money at the other places.  They'll still get you biglaw, but you won't have to write a fat check to a loan provider every month once you get there.  Trust me, there are other things you'd rather do with the money, like invest or save it, or even buy a nice watch or a new suit.  That said, if Harvard offers decent aid, go with it.

sure. as someone that has already graduated, i'm sure youve got a better grasp of what BIG DEBT means than I do.

And mine isn't nearly as bad as others' (esp. those who also have ugrad debt...)

i've heard people mention that employment prospects are better for urms than others, all else equal. therefore, I wonder if an above median urm would still have a shot at the super-elite firms coming out of a chicago or nyu given that some dont come to oci.

There aren't that many firms that don't interview at Chi and NYU (only Jenner DC immediately comes to mind...and I don't recall whether they interview at Chi, which is still considered more elite than NYU in those circles).  Whether they're even that great is up for debate (Jenner in particular).

also, is there something to be said for having HYS on the resume should one decide to transition out of law?

Sure.  Can't deny that.  But if you're going to be in NYC, Columbia is just as good.  Otherwise, HY certainly have more lay appeal (Stanford is debatable on the East Coast...I don't think that gets you any further than Columbia).

Adoumbia

• View Profile
    • Email
"What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" 2.92/177
« Reply #3728 on: February 16, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
Hi All, I am a 24 year old African American male with a pretty diverse background (Was born in Mali, raised partly in Western Europe, but grew up in NYC since the age of 6) My Undergraduate GPA was not spectacular during the last year of schooling (I started my undergrad career with a 3.3 and slowly went down to a 2.92 (This was due in part to the fact that senior year my grandfather died and I was busy aiding the family with estate arrangements and grieving). I have been out of school now for almost 2 years working in Commercial Real Estate Development in New York, and realized with my background in International Studies, and minors in both French and Japanese (Speak both languages near fluent) and keen interest on international corporate law, Columbia law School would be the best option for me. Especially since I hope to eventully hope to practice international law between Japan and the U.S. In addition to being an active leader in several community organizations, and Gay alliances & sports in New York, I'm wondering with my LSAT score of 177 how my chances fair with Columbia Law? Should I even bother with the school? Should I go ED? Many thanks for all your input!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: February 17, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »
Although it's almost impossible to predict splitters, you'll probably get in.  If I were you, I'd apply to all of the top 6.