Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 423771 times)

captainkyoraku

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3690 on: November 12, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »
Hey if any of you guys have any knowledge about black transfer applicants (or find anything out) please let me know. You all seem pretty well connected with URMs at the top schools. I've been trying to find out how URM transfers tend to do (ie do they get a boost) but I can't find any concrete info. Some people say definitely, others say definitely not. Thanks!

stunnerrunner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3691 on: November 12, 2009, 01:55:28 PM »
thanks for the insight A. I'm wondering, you seem like something of a guru on this stuff, on this website at least. Are you making these predictions just based on information you've seen over and over on the internet, or have you worked in admissions, or...?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: November 12, 2009, 07:28:12 PM »
With regard to black splitter applicants, I wonder if they're just as friendly. Columbia was my dream school and I had similar numbers to the OP with the question (thought slightly higher and fairly good soft factors) and was waitlisted. I mean, it ended up OK in the end because I'm at HLS, but I was ridiculously bummed and wondered if it was due to the GPA.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: November 12, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »
thanks for the insight A. I'm wondering, you seem like something of a guru on this stuff, on this website at least. Are you making these predictions just based on information you've seen over and over on the internet, or have you worked in admissions, or...?

Information seen over and over, and I was heavily involved in minority recruiting in law school.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: November 12, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
With regard to black splitter applicants, I wonder if they're just as friendly. Columbia was my dream school and I had similar numbers to the OP with the question (thought slightly higher and fairly good soft factors) and was waitlisted. I mean, it ended up OK in the end because I'm at HLS, but I was ridiculously bummed and wondered if it was due to the GPA.

Yeah, you're Exhibit A in how difficult it is to predict a splitter.  HLS accepted you, but CLS waitlisted you...go figure.

Warbucks

• View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: November 18, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »
2.76, 176, Black Male.

Hey all,

I don't have a chance at Yale or Stanford and pretty sure Harvard is out of the question as well but what about the other T14 schools?

I'd really like to go to Columbia but obviously would be open to NYU, Northwestern, Chicago, UPENN or Georgetown. Any advice you guys could offer would be great.

A little background: I attended a NESCAC school, am actively involved in a couple of non-profits and currently work for either the number one or number two law firm as a paralegal.

Thanks!

Grin

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: November 18, 2009, 02:27:08 PM »
2.76, 176, Black Male.

Hey all,

I don't have a chance at Yale or Stanford and pretty sure Harvard is out of the question as well but what about the other T14 schools?

I'd really like to go to Columbia but obviously would be open to NYU, Northwestern, Chicago, UPENN or Georgetown. Any advice you guys could offer would be great.

A little background: I attended a NESCAC school, am actively involved in a couple of non-profits and currently work for either the number one or number two law firm as a paralegal.

Thanks!

Grin

Out at CLS. Look at Penn on down. Apply to all and see what happens.
YLS c/o 2009

Warbucks

• View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: November 18, 2009, 02:53:13 PM »
Thanks guys. Also, is a 2.76 more excusable than it is if I told you guys I tried to take Japanese my freshmen year and received two Ds? That's honestly why my GPA isn't a 3.0.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: November 18, 2009, 10:10:26 PM »
Sadly, no.  Others have taken Japanese and succeeded.

That said, I think you have a shot at CCN.  Might as well apply to H too.

lawfighter007

• View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: December 03, 2009, 08:43:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here who just decided to post. Iíve read through quite a bit of this thread but didnít find anyone with nearly the same numbers / situation as myself.

Any advice on my chances will be greatly appreciated.

Multiracial Ė White, Middle Eastern (Yes I know it counts as white), and black.

I have one grandparent who is white, one who is black, and two who are Lebanese.

I grew up in Benin (3-18 yrs old), completed high school there and went to the States for college. I am an American citizen, born in Boston.

Does this qualify me for URM status? I listed all of my constituent races on all of my applications, attached a diversity statement explaining how my views have been affected by my various races, and growing up in Benin.

Stats:

GPA: 3.92
LSAT: 168

Decent soft factors but nothing astronomical.

I have already been accepted to UVA.

I was wondering what my odds would be at:

YHS

CCN

Michigan and Berkeley