Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 425381 times)

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3650 on: October 22, 2009, 07:07:43 PM »
Hello everyone. I am a black male with a 3.06 GPA (will be a 3.1 when I graduate in December) and a 164 LSAT. I spent the first two and a half years majoring in microbiology premed and it destroyed my GPA. Afterwards I switched majors to Econ--which was still tough but I did do a lot better than before. I founded an on campus group specifically for enhancing retention and academic success amongst black males and I was heavily involved in tutoring and community service programs throughout college. I am from a low income background and was able to get an LSAC fee waiver so I can apply to a lot of schools. I would really like to go to Columbia or Chicago even though I know they are HUGE reaches. I was thinking of going ED at one of them. If not them then I would prefer NYU,Michigan,UVA,and Duke in that order. I actually did some research for a Harvard and UChicago professor last year as well. What do you guys think my best choice for ED should be? Thanks!

I don't really follow ED stats and don't generally recommend ED.  But if you're dead set, might as well do it to the school you like best.

You should probably focus on 7-14.

Thanks! So you think that even for someone with my stats going ED at a top 5 school is a bad idea? How much do you think things like a strong personal statement and addendums help?

Schools don't usually take anyone ED who they wouldn't take otherwise, and you lose out on the prospect of money.  A good personal statement is always key.  I think addenda are a waste of time (I never wrote any); others disagree.

I think addenda help. The High Priestess wrote an addenda and got into several schools that many predicted she wouldn't. So, I think they help.

Thanks! I've been including an addendum in all of the applications I have sent off so far. Realistcally (if you can call it that) I'm aiming for Michigan and Cornell. How much of a shot do you think I have at Michigan? I sent off my application to them yesterday and I wrote a why Mich essay for them as well. I sent off Cornell a few days ago Early Action--what chance do I have there?

I think Michigan is a stretch, but doable. Cornell is obviously doable with a 164 although your GPA is killing you. I'd give you 50/50 odds at Cornell and 35-40% odds at Mich. I'd focus on places like GULC, UVA, Northwestern where I think your odds are better than 50/50.
YLS c/o 2009

captainkyoraku

• View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: October 22, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »
Hello everyone. I am a black male with a 3.06 GPA (will be a 3.1 when I graduate in December) and a 164 LSAT. I spent the first two and a half years majoring in microbiology premed and it destroyed my GPA. Afterwards I switched majors to Econ--which was still tough but I did do a lot better than before. I founded an on campus group specifically for enhancing retention and academic success amongst black males and I was heavily involved in tutoring and community service programs throughout college. I am from a low income background and was able to get an LSAC fee waiver so I can apply to a lot of schools. I would really like to go to Columbia or Chicago even though I know they are HUGE reaches. I was thinking of going ED at one of them. If not them then I would prefer NYU,Michigan,UVA,and Duke in that order. I actually did some research for a Harvard and UChicago professor last year as well. What do you guys think my best choice for ED should be? Thanks!

I don't really follow ED stats and don't generally recommend ED.  But if you're dead set, might as well do it to the school you like best.

Thanks! So you think that even for someone with my stats going ED at a top 5 school is a bad idea? How much do you think things like a strong personal statement and addendums help?

Schools don't usually take anyone ED who they wouldn't take otherwise, and you lose out on the prospect of money.  A good personal statement is always key.  I think addenda are a waste of time (I never wrote any); others disagree.

I think addenda help. The High Priestess wrote an addenda and got into several schools that many predicted she wouldn't. So, I think they help.

Thanks! I've been including an addendum in all of the applications I have sent off so far. Realistcally (if you can call it that) I'm aiming for Michigan and Cornell. How much of a shot do you think I have at Michigan? I sent off my application to them yesterday and I wrote a why Mich essay for them as well. I sent off Cornell a few days ago Early Action--what chance do I have there?

I think Michigan is a stretch, but doable. Cornell is obviously doable with a 164 although your GPA is killing you. I'd give you 50/50 odds at Cornell and 35-40% odds at Mich. I'd focus on places like GULC, UVA, Northwestern where I think your odds are better than 50/50.

Aren't my odds lower at UVA than Michigan?

I know schools really don't seem to care about difficulty of major but I have the sort of transcript where it's pretty obvious tat that's why my GPA is low. I mean essentially ALL but 2 of my grades that are below a B are in things like Chemistry, trigonometry, and Game theory. They have to notice that when they look at my transcript. It looks pretty obvious from my transcript that if I had been a poli sci major etc. I'd have a 3.5+ GPA.  Won't that come in to play a little bit? How do I look at Vanderbilt?

uptown125

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3652 on: October 22, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »
Hey all, I've got marginally different numbers than a few of the last posters, but everyone wants situation-specific insight, right? I'm a black male w/ a 3.09/167. Graduated w/ a 3.67 and cum laude from a top 25 school, as I'd transferred after doing poorly at another school.

I plan on retaking, but as things stand, do I have a fighting shot at one of the CCN? I freaked out on reading comp last month, so given that I do significantly better in december, any chance at.........Harvard?

Thanks!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: October 22, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
I think you have a decent shot at CCN.  Might as well throw an app to H too.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: October 23, 2009, 12:44:55 AM »
I think you have a decent shot at CCN.  Might as well throw an app to H too.

Agreed.
YLS c/o 2009

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: October 23, 2009, 12:59:59 AM »

Aren't my odds lower at UVA than Michigan?

I know schools really don't seem to care about difficulty of major but I have the sort of transcript where it's pretty obvious tat that's why my GPA is low. I mean essentially ALL but 2 of my grades that are below a B are in things like Chemistry, trigonometry, and Game theory. They have to notice that when they look at my transcript. It looks pretty obvious from my transcript that if I had been a poli sci major etc. I'd have a 3.5+ GPA.  Won't that come in to play a little bit? How do I look at Vanderbilt?

I don't think your odds at UVA are lower than Michigan. Of course, I just have a situational sense of the odds. You should apply to both places and let the chips fall where they may, but my sense is that you'll have a better shot at UVA.

When you're talking about t14 places, grades below a "B" are unacceptable. I know that a grade of "B" is frowned upon even in difficult majors. That's how competitive these spots are. That being said, adcomms are going to notice your major, but it won't make a noticeable difference in your case b/c ur GPA is still well below the 25%.

You need to stress that you recognized that premed wasn't your thing, changed majors, and immediately saw major improvement in your grades. Note that your LSAT is more reflective of your abilities as a result. With emphasis on your LSAT, you might can sneak into a few of the higher T14s, but it'll be a stretch.
YLS c/o 2009

spark

• View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: October 23, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
Hi all, I'm applying within the next two weeks and still don't have a good list of schools to apply to. I have very limited funds and can only afford about 9 or 10 schools.
Do I have any chance at a t14 school? Where should I apply?

I'm a black male
2.95 from Howard U (relatively strong upward trend)
163 sept lsat
3.71 grad gpa
decent softs
2 yrs work experience
Very difficult personal background (subject of my personal statement)

Thanks

thatakinsgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: October 23, 2009, 05:13:08 PM »
I noticed a number of people are including Cornell on their lists, so I figured I'd pipe in:  Cornell will often take mid-to-upper 150s URMs IF you have a high GPA from a well-respected school.  They'll also take the reverse, to some extent.  And a really high GPA will generally get you $$$.  Cornell is also really kicking up its diversity focus (went from 29% to 39% minority this year, while most T14s dropped, some significantly, see NYU, GULC, etc.) but again, most of the AAs in my class (2012) have top tier undergrad credentials, very high GPAs or 160+ LSATs.

What's considered a high gpa? Is a 3.6 from a top 12 undergrad considered high?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: October 23, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
Hi all, I'm applying within the next two weeks and still don't have a good list of schools to apply to. I have very limited funds and can only afford about 9 or 10 schools.
Do I have any chance at a t14 school? Where should I apply?

I'm a black male
2.95 from Howard U (relatively strong upward trend)
163 sept lsat
3.71 grad gpa
decent softs
2 yrs work experience
Very difficult personal background (subject of my personal statement)

Thanks

Good to see fellow Bison applying to law school.

I'd apply widely. Pick one of two schools in the top 14 where your personal statement might have impact. I suggest GULC and University of Michigan (Berkeley might also be worth an app). These are reaches, but hey, you never know.

Then I would think about where I wanted to be long term. If you want to be in DC, for example, throw an application to American and GWU.

That's 4 applications.

So the next 6 applications you send should be sent wide. I suggest: Emory, University of Georgia, University of North Carolina, Howard University, and Wake Forest.

My advice: If you don't get into a top 14, in this economy, go to Howard and call it a day.
YLS c/o 2009

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: October 23, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »
I noticed a number of people are including Cornell on their lists, so I figured I'd pipe in:  Cornell will often take mid-to-upper 150s URMs IF you have a high GPA from a well-respected school.  They'll also take the reverse, to some extent.  And a really high GPA will generally get you $$$.  Cornell is also really kicking up its diversity focus (went from 29% to 39% minority this year, while most T14s dropped, some significantly, see NYU, GULC, etc.) but again, most of the AAs in my class (2012) have top tier undergrad credentials, very high GPAs or 160+ LSATs.

What's considered a high gpa? Is a 3.6 from a top 12 undergrad considered high?

for cornell? Um, yeah.
YLS c/o 2009