Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 433211 times)

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3630 on: October 18, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »
Hey guys, just thought I'd ask for input regarding my chances at Columbia and maybe some other schools as well.

I'm an AA male. My LSAT score is 172 and is from my first attempt, this past September. My GPA (3.17) has an upward trend all four years of undergrad (from 2.85 freshman year to 3.6 my senior year, with a commendation for academic excellence). I was an English major, for the record.

I also wrote a thesis my senior year that I received an A on.

My college (Reed College) experiences virtually no grade inflation. For the past 22 years, the average graduating GPA at Reed has hovered around a 3.1; only 7 students have graduated with a 4.0 during that time period. So my GPA is actually slightly better than average for my school. Also, I think my college may be considered one of those that typically produces strong law students, at least as evidenced by the average LSAT score of Reed students (162). I talked to my pre-law adviser and she told me that the average GPA of students from Reed who apply to Columbia is 3.35, while the average LSAT score is 165.

I also have at least decent softs - work experience throughout college (working 15-20 hrs per week), including a summer internship at an advertising agency in Manhattan; a semester and a half spent tutoring middle schoolers in English; a year spent writing for the college newspaper; involvement in GLBT activism with my school's Queer Alliance (I'm gay and out).

My father also died halfway through my college career, and I'm making that fact known to AdComms to give them better perspective regarding my GPA. LORs are coming from my thesis adviser (with whom I took at least once class every year at Reed) and another prof from outside my department - I expect they'll be pretty good.

Now, taking all of these factors into account, should I think that I have a good chance at Columbia? Would I need to apply ED to get in? I'd be willing to do so, but I'm afraid of locking myself into a situation where I don't have enough money to pay for the school. I'm also wary of not fully investigating other opportunities.

How should I gauge my chances at the rest of the T14? What would you say I do to increase my chances of admission at Columbia or any other school?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

In at Columbia more than likely. You should aim for Harvard as well. I think you're almost 100% at anything below CCN.
YLS c/o 2009

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: October 18, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »
Agreed.

jrobby6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3632 on: October 18, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »
AA Male
TTT Undergrad

Fordam
BC
BU
WUSTL
GW
Bloomington
Villanova
Temple
Cornell??
Duke??

retake?

I guess I should add some info to get this answered...

Well as I stated I attend a Jesuit TTT undergrad. I'm a double major in English and History. I went to a Jesuit high school in Boston but I didn't perform well partly because of depression and living conditions.

Now, I say living conditions because I lived in a crime-ridden neighborhood. Most of my friends(or who I thought were) were drug dealers, corrupted individuals, and criminals. Needless to say, I was intrigued by the lifestyle so I hung out with them throughout my high school career for the most part and this led to abysmal grades. Finally, at the end of my senior year, when it was too late, I decided I wanted to pursue a career in law and go to college. So, I left Boston and, in a sense, started my life over at a tier 3 Jesuit undergrad in the mid-Atlantic.

Throughout college, with the exception of my first semester freshman year (3.18) I received right around the cusp of a 3.5 gpa. I was, and still am, involved heavily in an assortment of clubs and activities. I work as an RA as well as for a litigation firm part time for 15-20 hours a week. I'm in an honor society, fraternity, and I have my picture advertised for the school if that means anything lol.

My schools LSAT mean is 148 or 149 (about 80 percent of takers don't even hit 150) so I hit above that and there really hasn't been anyone in recent years who has go to a top law school with the exception of my friend who is at PENN. My LSAT score is right around the average of my last few tests FYI. Any thoughts? How are my chances at the schools I listed as of now? Retake?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: October 18, 2009, 08:28:51 PM »
(I haven't answered b/c I'm not very knowledgeable about the schools you're interested in.  They seem about right to me (not Cornell and Duke), but hopefully someone else will chime in.)

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: October 18, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »
I'll chime in because my scores were near yours, although a bit higher and several years ago. WUSTL is a definite possibility. You may want to look at some state schools as well. Depends on where you want to go to school and where you'd like to end up, how much debt you're willing to take on.

Might be a good idea to look at Howard. If you feel you like you have the time to put in to crack 160, a slew of other schools could open up.

yayaya

• View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: October 19, 2009, 02:38:41 AM »
Hi -- I have a "chances" post with a couple of questions.

I am a black male URM, 3.1 GPA, with LSAT 177 (after retaking a 169 from a while ago). I am hoping for HLS. I'm getting the impression from previous posts that I might have a chance despite my low GPA?

Also, I have an issue with my transcript. I have an F on my transcript that will be overturned, but not until the middle of November. (Long story.) When the grade is changed it will make about a .08 difference to my GPA. Not a huge difference, but I would rather not have that ugly F sticking out of my transcript, I'd have to explain the situation, etc. I know it's imperative for splitters to apply early, is November, say Thanksgiving-ish, too late?

And one more quick one: do I need an LSAT addendum? I have what I think is a good reason for my low score. But I've already got a GPA addendum, a time-off-of-school addendum, plus the "Why School X" essays, etc. it just seems like addendum overkill, and the higher score can speak for itself.

Thanks for your time.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: October 19, 2009, 06:27:01 AM »
Wait until November, don't bother with the addendum (they're useless in general, but particularly useless to explain away a previous LSAT score).

philler09er

• View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: October 19, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »
New to the forum but have enjoyed reading the various insight provided. Want to get some analysis/input on "my chances" in consideration of my numbers and experience.
Numbers: 3.27/154. Previous scores were sub 150. AA Male. Recent '09 grad of T80 school in Boston. Completed well recognized Crim. Justice program with minor in Pol.Sci. Study abroad in W.Africa. Have law firm experience but currently vol. at non-profit organization in city of bro. love. Any chance at Top 50? Def. considering Howard although T3.
Cornell?
Cardoza?
GW?
UofIllinos?
Temple?
Case Western?

Thanks in advance!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: October 19, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
See Eugene's answer 4 posts above...

Miss A

• View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: October 20, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »
Hi Guys! New to the boards:

- AA female
-165 LSAT/3.16 GPA--Top 20 UG
-Graduated in 2007 with biochem/cell biology degree....went on to work for a financial tech firm, transferred me to London, been working in London for almost two years, now time to go to law school. 
-founded minority orgs on UG campus, and highly involved in community service, tutoring inner city, basketball/mentor volunteer, etc--in England....i guess pretty typical stuff 

i pretty much need to live in a big city (NY, PHILLY, CHICAGO would be most ideal) for personal family reason

I have my sights set on UPENN, CORNELL, DUKE, COLUMBIA, NYU, NORTHWESTERN, and want to throw HARVARD in for fun, with my school choices i realize a higher score is nearly a requirement  :-\

What do you "gurus" make of my chances? 

I am strongly strongly considering retaking the exam in December...sucks that i cant see my answer sheet since i have to take it internationally, but I know that my first test was not truly indicative, all practice exams were >170, and test atmosphere was lets just say sub par....all opinions welcome!