Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3580 on: August 11, 2009, 01:30:19 PM »
I'll join the fray. 3.2 174. After dropping out for three years and transferring schools have averaged a 3.9 over my last 74 credit hours (While working 35 hours per week). Some decent softs: Military Experience, currently tutor Chinese immigrants in English, participated in several short term missions trips in Egypt and Tunisia. School leadership positions and I've worked as a Bailiff and for the US. Dept of Homeland Security Office of Civil Rights. Looking to blanket the entire T14 sans Yale. Top choice is Stanford.

« Reply #3581 on: August 14, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »
2.8 gpa (finished school in 2006, but technically graduated Summer 2009), taking LSAT Sept. 26th, worked the past 3 years (mortgage and insurance), earned 4 yr. scholarship (D1), lots of extracurricular activities (started my own non-profit org). What kind of LSAT score do I need for Howard?

« Reply #3582 on: August 21, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »
I just emailed the Dean of Admissions for GW. I asked her among other questions what schools she thinks I should apply to given that I'm black (didn't put it so bluntly)with 158/3.11. She said 50-80,...with 30-50 being reaches. What do you guys think of this? I'm getting widely differing opinions on what i should be applying to.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: September 04, 2009, 05:01:31 AM »
Black male 3.2 gpa 162 LSAT from State U. Average Softs. Immigrant; family left because of political instability. Where should I apply? I'm aiming for 15-20; maybe throw in a T-14 app or two

There are people with your stats that get into NYU.  You should be aiming a little higher.  Apply to the entire t-14 and then throw some apps to schools that you're interested in between 15-30.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: September 04, 2009, 05:03:53 AM »
I'll join the fray. 3.2 174. After dropping out for three years and transferring schools have averaged a 3.9 over my last 74 credit hours (While working 35 hours per week). Some decent softs: Military Experience, currently tutor Chinese immigrants in English, participated in several short term missions trips in Egypt and Tunisia. School leadership positions and I've worked as a Bailiff and for the US. Dept of Homeland Security Office of Civil Rights. Looking to blanket the entire T14 sans Yale. Top choice is Stanford.

Good shot at Stanford.  You'll get into most if not all of the t-14.  Harvard is very probable also.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: September 04, 2009, 05:06:54 AM »
2.8 gpa (finished school in 2006, but technically graduated Summer 2009), taking LSAT Sept. 26th, worked the past 3 years (mortgage and insurance), earned 4 yr. scholarship (D1), lots of extracurricular activities (started my own non-profit org). What kind of LSAT score do I need for Howard?

I would say that a 155+ would give you a good shot.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: September 04, 2009, 05:09:39 AM »
I just emailed the Dean of Admissions for GW. I asked her among other questions what schools she thinks I should apply to given that I'm black (didn't put it so bluntly)with 158/3.11. She said 50-80,...with 30-50 being reaches. What do you guys think of this? I'm getting widely differing opinions on what i should be applying to.

She's being a little overly cautious.  Though I did apply a coupe of years ago, so I don't know how much more competitive everything is.  In my day, with those numbers.  I would say that the bottom t-14 are your reaches.  15-30 would be targets.  And 30-50 are targets or somewhat safeties. 

« Reply #3587 on: September 04, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »
Black male 3.2 gpa 162 LSAT from State U. Average Softs. Immigrant; family left because of political instability. Where should I apply? I'm aiming for 15-20; maybe throw in a T-14 app or two

There are people with your stats that get into NYU.  You should be aiming a little higher.  Apply to the entire t-14 and then throw some apps to schools that you're interested in between 15-30.

Wow. That would be awesome. I got to UGA, live in Atlanta and would love to work in Atlanta, so a school like Emory would be ideal for me, although a T-14 school would be hard to pass up. Any chances at $ from Emory?

« Reply #3588 on: September 08, 2009, 01:47:02 PM »
Hello, Black Male here, Ivy undergrad, 3.79 LSAC GPA, 164 on the June '08 LSAT, softs include very selective wall st internships.  What are my chances for the following schools:

Yale

Harvard

Stanford

Columbia

NYU

Chicago

Also, what are my chances of getting a full ride (or close to it) at any of these schools?  Thanks in advance!

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: September 08, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »
In at CCN.  Probably in at H.  Possibility at Stanford.  Little chance, but not impossible, at Yale.

Full ride probably at none of those.  You need to look at the bottom t14 for that.