Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 432866 times)

eddiebauer

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3570 on: July 29, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Black male
2.9-3.1 UGPA
americorps/city year/teach for america/peace corps type program
lots of other extracurricular activities
targets? reaches? ranges for scholarships?

thanks for the info and advice on this board.  sorry for the brevity, but i don't want to be too public.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: July 29, 2009, 11:01:22 PM »
Aim for 7-14.  Reach for 3-7.  If you actually have a 3.1, you might throw an app at Harvard too, for fun.

eddiebauer

• View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: July 30, 2009, 03:21:54 AM »
if i'm down in the wash u range due to geographic restrictions, do you think scholarships will be possible?

schuywalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: July 30, 2009, 04:49:18 AM »
You should definitely be able to get in to WashU with $$ (any where frm 25k/yr to full tuition)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: July 30, 2009, 06:21:05 AM »
indeed

eddiebauer

• View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: July 30, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »
thank you very much!

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: August 03, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »
Sands/ Mods.... I hope this isn't considered spam.

2010 applicants

For People of Color, Inc.
Is Accepting Application Materials for Review

For People of Color, Inc. ("FPOC") is now accepting application materials, from its members, for review. FPOC has assembled a stellar team of reviewers, led by Ms. Cesia Minemann, our Senior Admissions Consultant.

We kindly ask that you adhere to the following instructions when submitting your materials:

1.  Online Submission Form:  Click on the link below to submit your materials.  The link will take you to a form that will collect your information and attachments.

Important Note: Attachments MUST be in Word (.doc) format.  Do NOT attach documents in .pdf, wordperfect, .docx, or any other type of format. Please carefully follow the form's instructions. 

Important Note:  You must submit your materials using the form below. Materials submitted via e-mail to FPOC will be ignored.

2.  Limit on Number of Submissions:  You will only be able to submit your materials once.  We will not review multiple drafts.

3.  Deadline:  We will not be accepting any application materials after August 31, 2009 at 5:00 p.m. (Pacific). This will be your only opportunity to have your materials reviewed by FPOC this year.

4.  Quality:  Please make absolutely sure that your materials contain no spelling or grammatical mistakes.

5.  Sensitive Information:  Please DO NOT include your Social Security or LSDAS numbers on any of the materials you submit. Click Here if you would like to review our Privacy Policy.

Click Here to Submit Your Application
Materials for Our Review

_____________________________ __________________

General Tips & Guidance:

The following are the six most important tips every law school applicant should keep in mind when crafting her or his materials.

1. Spelling & Grammar: Your application materials should be completely devoid of spelling or grammatical mistakes.  Strunk & White's "Elements of Style" is particularly helpful in this regard.

2. Theme: Make sure that your personal statement contains a core theme.  In other words, what is the key point that you want the reader to ascertain about you?

3. Narrative style: The most powerful personal statements use the narrative style.  It is much better to convey your theme via a vivid and powerful story.

4. Length: We suggest that your personal statement be no longer than 1.5 to 2 pages.  The best personal statements are very concise and to the point.  Longer statements tend to be rather unwieldy and convoluted.  Thus, they lose their potency with each unnecessary additional sentence and paragraph.

5. Editing: Developing "perfect" law school application materials requires an abundant amount of time and dedication.  Continually edit and refine your materials.  Solicit advice from friends, professors, colleagues, and other professionals.  You should, however, take their suggestions with a grain of salt.  In the end, you must determine how best to craft your materials.

6. Resume: Please use complete sentences--not bulleted fragments--in your resume. Remember, the resume can also be used as a vehicle to further showcase your writing ability.

Online Resources:

Video of Law School Admissions Workshop

Guide to Law School Application Process For People of Color

_____________________________ __________________

We look forward to reviewing your materials and hope that you take advantage of this opportunity. 

Warm regards,

Anthony Solana, Jr.
President & Chairperson
For People of Color, Inc.
6080 Center Drive, 6th Floor
Los Angeles, California 90045
T: 310.499.9500
F: 310.499.9505
anthonysolana@forpeopleofcolor.org

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: August 05, 2009, 09:55:35 PM »
Black male
2.9-3.1 UGPA
americorps/city year/teach for america/peace corps type program
lots of other extracurricular activities
targets? reaches? ranges for scholarships?

thanks for the info and advice on this board.  sorry for the brevity, but i don't want to be too public.

You'll get into M and V.  Good shot at P.  Out at B.  In @ the rest of the t-14.

BTW, I had a 3.0 / 169 and got a full ride + stipend at WUSTL.  Don't go there though.  Seriously.
Michigan 2L

eddiebauer

• View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: August 06, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »
thanks t L.  Why do you say no for WUSTL?

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: August 06, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »
thanks t L.  Why do you say no for WUSTL?

Eh, I should qualify my statement by saying that it depends on what you want to do.  If you're interested in a low-paying job after graduation, then take the full ride.  If you're from St. Louis and you wan to stay in St. Louis immediately after graduation, then go.  Other than that, I wouldn't go to WUSTL because options coming out of there are so limited.
Michigan 2L