Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 428314 times)

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3560 on: July 04, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »
2.8 UGPA...current 1st Year MPP student at Ford School at Michigan...LSAT: 165. Chances at T-14 schools? What T-14s should I apply to?

Bottom t14 (8-14) possible. apply widely. Will gain admittance to a top 30 school.
YLS c/o 2009

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: July 04, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
thanks in advance for any help. here's my situation:

3.2 GPA. 174 LSAT, black male immigrant, 4 years out of school. harvard is my first choice, what chance (if any) would I have there? what about the columbia/nyu tier?

Solid chance.

For you, the essays are going to be of paramount importance as will your recommendations. Spend as much time as needed to make sure your essays are perfect. I'm not exaggerating. Come back here when you have your essay done and let one of the old cats edit it. Spend time thinking about your recommenders.

Also, the perception is that you are smart but lazy. That's automatically what I thought when I read your split. The key for you is to come up with an persuasive explanation, if you can, of why your GPA and LSAT show a differential in performance. If not, not a deal breaker...but that's the one weakness you'll have to overcome to get into Harvard.

Things to think about:

1. Did you have an upward trend in your grades?
2. Did you work full time while attending school full time?
3. Was there a sickness or illness that accounts for one particularly poor semester?
4. Do you have a dependent or do you take care of an ill relative?
5. Did you go to school do really poorly, take time off and come back and do really well?
6. Did you change majors halfway through your college education?
7. Were you the victim of a crime?

These are some of the things that might make a good addendum.

In the alternative, if you're not straight out of undergrad and you've worked for a number of years, your GPA is going to be less important.

Hit me up, if you need help discussing strategy. I think you have a great shot at HLS, but there can't be any flaws in your application.
YLS c/o 2009

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: July 04, 2009, 06:30:15 PM »
thanks Miss P, do you think with a really good personal statement, I have a reasonable shot at UVA or even USC(my sister is at a PH D program there). Honestly, retaking is not an option because I already retook twice. I studied a whole year for the LSAT, I was scoring in the  165+ on a regular basis, and tutored a friend (who went from a 150 to a 163 because of me). I'm just a horrible test taker, my nerves and pressure act up and I freeze. Hell I got a 900 on the SAT.

I know people say this all the time, but my LSAT score is truly not a reflection of my ability to think and perform well in Law School. How do I convey this to the admissions people without actually saying those words?

Hit me up. I'll put you in touch with some people from UVA with similar stats. They can talk to you about what can possibly work. I know two students with approximately your numbers at UVA.

As Alci said, it isn't likely, but if you know what works you'll increase your odds.

Edit: And not to be mean, but EVERYONE with a low LSAT score thinks that their score doesn't reflect their ability. Mere words will not convey that to admissions personnel. Schools have now stopped averaging LSAT scores meaning that schools are willing to believe you if you think a low LSAT score isn't reflective of your true ability. The proof is simple: get a higher LSAT score.
YLS c/o 2009

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: July 05, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »
3.63 UGGPA, English major with minors in French and African Diaspora Studies and graduated cum laude from Tulane (would have been magna had I written a thesis). 157 LSAT the first time, 166 second. 2 years work experience @ a social justice non-profit. AA female. What are my chances @t14?

99.9%
YLS c/o 2009

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: July 05, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »
Yes, I would say only Y and S are likely no's...better chance at S.

booktolook

• View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: July 06, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »
2.8 UGPA...current 1st Year MPP student at Ford School at Michigan...LSAT: 165. Chances at T-14 schools? What T-14s should I apply to?

Bottom t14 (8-14) possible. apply widely. Will gain admittance to a top 30 school.

Thanks. I have made a list of the schools I will apply to and have my application in by mid-August. Here is my list. Let me know your suggestions.

1. Michigan
2. Georgetown
3. Cornell
4. UVA
5. UPenn
6. Northwestern
7. Duke
8. UCLA
9. Texas
10. GWU
11. Maryland
12. Vanderbilt

Is this a good list?

saks5th

• View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: July 06, 2009, 10:18:20 PM »
wow that looks like my list and I have a 157...i wonder if I am being realistic.

well I would say these schools you have a pretty good shot at : cornell, vandy, duke, GWU(for sure in), maryland

the others I don't know: as a UCLA grad, I would say your GPA might be a little too low for them.

I wish i had your LSAT and I'm sure you wish you had my GPA (3.6)

groundkontrol

• View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: July 22, 2009, 07:28:49 PM »
I'm a black male URM with a 3.4 at Cornell, great LORs, and a ton of extracurriculars. I'm taking the LSATS in September. What LSAT would I need to have a chance at these schools?

UPenn (My top choice)-

Yale/Harvard-

Columbia-

NYU-

Cornell-

Georgetown-

Thanks.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: July 22, 2009, 11:18:23 PM »
I'm a black male URM with a 3.4 at Cornell, great LORs, and a ton of extracurriculars. I'm taking the LSATS in September. What LSAT would I need to have a chance at these schools?

UPenn (My top choice)-

Yale/Harvard-

Columbia-

NYU-

Cornell-

Georgetown-

Thanks.

Just get a 165+ and you'll get into your top choice most likely.
YLS c/o 2009

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3569 on: July 29, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »
Ok, so I'm one of those who F%^& Up my GPA. I currently have a 2.4, and have a year and a half left of undergrad, I should be able to raise my GPA to atleast a 2.8 by the time I apply. I attend a state flagship university, the Univerisity of Georgia, and really want to stay in Georgia from law school. I am taking the LSAT in September. I have taken a few timed practice test and scored an average of 160. I am hoping to improve my score to above 165 by the time I take the real test.

I have a few EC but nothing super. Ran Track my first 2 years, Health Committee Board Member, Literary Society Member, about to start volunteering. I had an internship with an insurance company , plus another another part-time job. I now work full-time with the insurance company for the summer, and will continue working with them part time once the school year starts again.

I am applying to just about every law school in Georgia and want to know what do you'll think my my chances are at:
In State:
1.Emory
2.Georgia State
3.University of Georgia
4.Mercer

I REALLY want to go to Emory Law School, but they are ranked T20, so I don't my chances are that good. Plus, I hear that Emory is all about numbers, and if you don't have anything close to the average scores then you don't have a chance. Georgia State is my second choice, and more practical choice. Its inexpensive, and has really good job placement in Atlanta, which is where I want to work. UGA has a nice program too, so I really wouldn't mind staying here even though I did horrible undergrad.

Out of State:
1.Howard

I really have no interest in going out of state but I need options just in cause I don't get in a school in georgia. Do you guys have any suggestion for other out of state schools