Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 422046 times)

caliborn

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3520 on: June 27, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »
I'm back and hope someone could be of some help.  I am a non-trad AA female who worked 40+ hrs during college and I currently have a 3.2 lsac gpa with all As my last semester. I'm considering retaking classes (30 credits) that would boost it to 3.52 (I have a lot of Fs from some cc courses from back in 90 and early 2000 when I was in high school). I just retook the LSAT in June and earned a 163 (my Sept 07' LSAT was a 151). I will be retaking in September with a hope of at least 170 (I missed -5 in my first two sections and -16 in my last two in June).

So here are my questions:
1) Is it crazy to retake these old classes? Would it hurt me more than help me in the eyes of the admissions people?
2) What would be my chances at Harvard with a 3.52 and a 170+ LSAT? I believe I have some good softs (young parent, struggled to support family while in college, interesting work experience, very active in my community with interest in public interest law).

I'm set on Harvard because my husband is in school in Boston for the next 4 years and a long distance relationship with my two boys in tow is not an option. I'm not too keen on BU/BC because I am not sure if I want to stay in Boston after I'm done with law school.
Lizzie: You keep talkin' to yourself, people will think you're crazy.
Lightning McQueen: [sarcastically] Thanks for the tip!
Lizzie: Uh - what? I wasn't talking to you

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: June 27, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »
I'm back and hope someone could be of some help.  I am a non-trad AA female who worked 40+ hrs during college and I currently have a 3.2 lsac gpa with all As my last semester. I'm considering retaking classes (30 credits) that would boost it to 3.52 (I have a lot of Fs from some cc courses from back in 90 and early 2000 when I was in high school). I just retook the LSAT in June and earned a 163 (my Sept 07' LSAT was a 151). I will be retaking in September with a hope of at least 170 (I missed -5 in my first two sections and -16 in my last two in June).

So here are my questions:
1) Is it crazy to retake these old classes? Would it hurt me more than help me in the eyes of the admissions people?
2) What would be my chances at Harvard with a 3.52 and a 170+ LSAT? I believe I have some good softs (young parent, struggled to support family while in college, interesting work experience, very active in my community with interest in public interest law).

I'm set on Harvard because my husband is in school in Boston for the next 4 years and a long distance relationship with my two boys in tow is not an option. I'm not too keen on BU/BC because I am not sure if I want to stay in Boston after I'm done with law school.

1) Retake if you want. A 3.52 is significantly better than a 3.2. Nonetheless, you can also write an addendum explaining that those grades were earned in high school and that your college grades are a better indicator of your ability.

2)99.9%
YLS c/o 2009

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: June 27, 2009, 12:39:20 PM »

1) Did you already finish your B.A?  If you did, you won't be able to retake any classes to count towards your LSAC GPA?
2) Is the boost to a 3.52 counting both the Fs and if you were to get As in the new classes or replacing the old F grades?  LSAC counts both the old and the new grade in your GPA calculation.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

caliborn

• View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: June 27, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies Kirk and Mona.

I calculated the 3.52 with new grades replacing the old Fs. Does LSAC still count the old grades if the updated transcript doesn't include the old grades? The policy of the cc is to completely erase the old grade.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: June 27, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies Kirk and Mona.

I calculated the 3.52 with new grades replacing the old Fs. Does LSAC still count the old grades if the updated transcript doesn't include the old grades? The policy of the cc is to completely erase the old grade.

LSAC does not replace bad grades with newer superior grades.

If I were you, I'd say screw it. If you get a 170, you'll get into Harvard with your current GPA.
YLS c/o 2009

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3525 on: June 27, 2009, 01:58:32 PM »
I suppose it depends.  If you haven't finished your BA, then I think their policy is to use what's on the transcript.  If you have finished your BA, I don't think they'd use any of the new grades in your GPA.

ETA: I'm basing this off the fact that another poster here had a college that didn't reflect the old grade on his transcript either and from what I remember, the old grades never were calculated in his GPA.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

caliborn

• View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: June 27, 2009, 02:05:44 PM »
I just realized I neglected to answer another one of your questions. No, I have't graduated yet even though I have completed all the requirements for my degree.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: June 29, 2009, 08:19:01 AM »
Hey all, I got my June LSAT score today, and am eager to get a clearer sense of my T14 chances. Here's the rundown on me:

Black female
3.42 UGPA (upward trend and graduated cum laude) from HYP
Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia
168 LSAT
Softs are pretty standard: College paper editor, leadership in cultural organizations. Beginning school in Fall 2010, I'd have a year of WE under my belt.

I'm interested in First Amendment/media law.

So what are my chances, applying for Fall 2010, at:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Duke
Georgetown
UChicago
UPenn
UVA

?

Thanks in advance for any insight, and suggestions of how I might make myself more palatable to the Top 3. :)

Shoo in for everything except Yale. Yale is a toss up, GPA killin ya.

Agreed.

jschooler09

• View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: June 29, 2009, 01:26:57 PM »
To Kirk and A. - Can I ask what's making you both say that? 'Cause people on other threads are considerably less optimistic, mainly about the T6, and I feel like my numbers don't really seem to warrant such optimism even with the AA boost. Am I missing something? Something about the softs maybe? [I'm trying to decide whether to bother retaking, so as much insight as you can give me on the strengths and weaknesses of my cause, the better.] Thank you!

St.Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: June 29, 2009, 03:33:29 PM »
Could I get some suggestions? Any hope at cracking the T14, Tulane or Howard? I read somewhere that in 2000, Michigan admitted 14 out of 23 AAs who scored between 151-153 with GPA's 3.0 and higher. Do I have that good of a chance?

AA Male
3.0 UGPA (from Top 30)
155 LSAT
Looking at D.C., New Orleans, and New York markets.
Thanks.