Erk

Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3510 on: June 22, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »
Hi guys:

AA male
B.S. Biology
2.6 and 160
Will have 2 years of WE by time i enter law school

I'm not sure what types of schools i should target. Any suggestions?

Here is a first draft of my list of schools (long I know) What do you guys think?

Washington University St Louis
Emory
U Minnesota
Indiana U
Iowa
George Washington
Fordham
UNC Chapel Hill
Ohio State
Washington and Lee
U Wisconsin
Wake Forest
George Mason
American
U florida
Penn State
Villanova
Temple
U Miami
Kent
Howard
Depaul
Loyola Chicago
U St Louis
New York Law School

« Reply #3511 on: June 22, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »
I'm taking the LSAT in Feburary. So my study regiment so far has been pretty relaxed, about two hours a day. I did take it five years ago when i was 21 and got a 163 and I studied then for about 2 months. This time I have the powerscore LG and LR bibles. Each one is fantastic, especially the LG bible. I have gone from it being my worst to best section.
As far as what schools should be on your list? I think you should add a few more. I am also a fan of Howard Law and HBCU's. I'm a Morehouse guy myself. I think if you don't get into a top 25, then Howard is a fine choice, It's on my list and I consider it a great choice if I don't get into top 14. Howard has excellent placement in the BigLaw firms and elsewhere.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: June 24, 2009, 08:15:30 PM »
Here is the breakdown:

AA Male
UG-Business, May 2004: 2.8 (HBCU)
MBA, Dec 2008: 3.8 (HBCU)
Practice LSAT: 155 range

I am an ex-drug addict and drug dealer.  During the second semester of my freshman year of college I was arrested on campus and charged with Felony possession w/intent, to sell, deliver, and manufacture marijuana, and Misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.  Facing 5 years in prison, I took a plea deal, pleading guilty to the Misdemeanor charge and the Felony charge was dismissed.  I was sentenced to 1 year probation and community service, which I completed.  In addition, I was eventually suspended from school for one year. During a long suspension process I was permitted to continue to go to class and to make a long story short, by the time my suspension was handed down I had completed my freshman year.  I was able to transfer to my degree granting institution for the beginning of my sophomore year without missing any school.

Although I learned my lesson about selling drugs, I continued to use them.  My UGPA suffered as a result.  To be honest, I did not study at all.  My main focus was getting high.  My troubles with the law did not end.  A month after graduating college, and a week before I was to start my new job, I was arrested for Misdemeanor possession of marijuana.  I hit rock bottom.  This charge was eventually dismissed, but if I wanted anything in life, I needed to stop getting high. I did, I'll be clean and sober 5 years this month. 

After 3 years in corporate, I decided to get my MBA.   I excelled, summered at a Fortune 500 in corporate Finance and graduated Beta Gamma Sigma (top 20% of class).  After graduation, I accepted an offer with a Fortune 300.  Over the next 2 years, I will be completing a rotational Executive Leadership Development Program. 2 years, 2 rotations.  My current rotation is in the Global M&A group.  My next rotation will be in the Global Corporate Finance group.

I want to go to law school after I complete the program.  Working towards entering law school in the fall of 2011.  The schools that are currently on my list:

Columbia
NYU
Howard
Villanova
Temple
Cardozo
Fordham

I posted all this to ask, do I have a chance at any of these schools? What LSAT will I need to have a chance?  How much will my criminal history hurt me?  Will my MBA and/or grad GPA be considered?  Any other schools I should consider?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Get your LSAT score to a 160+. If you get a 164+ apply to Yale, Stanford as well. I mean, chances are slim...but sometimes doing something really bad, suffering the consequences, learning from it and then doing well is better than doing the right thing to begin with.

Either way, I don't think a top 14 is out of the realm of possibility if you get a 160+. Apply wide.

« Reply #3513 on: June 25, 2009, 11:48:21 PM »
Hey all, I got my June LSAT score today, and am eager to get a clearer sense of my T14 chances. Here's the rundown on me:

Black female
3.42 UGPA (upward trend and graduated cum laude) from HYP
Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia
168 LSAT
Softs are pretty standard: College paper editor, leadership in cultural organizations. Beginning school in Fall 2010, I'd have a year of WE under my belt.

I'm interested in First Amendment/media law.

So what are my chances, applying for Fall 2010, at:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Duke
Georgetown
UChicago
UPenn
UVA

?

Thanks in advance for any insight, and suggestions of how I might make myself more palatable to the Top 3. :)

« Reply #3514 on: June 26, 2009, 12:34:01 AM »
VERY green at the LS admissions process. I just got my LSAT score & have been reading a few threads. I could REALLY use some advice. The numbers:

LSAT: 153
UGPA: 2.64 (Columbia)
URM - Afro-Caribbean
Immigrant - Jamaica W.I.

Should I apply now, or retake in September?

With depression, etc. I screwed up my UGPA. Sucks for me.

I studied for the LSAT for a couple weeks, but got 3 hrs of sleeep the night before (too anxious I guess) & only answered 1, yes 1, of the logic games (~6 questions); the rest I guessed "C." (There was only 1 LG section on my exam, so it was NOT the experimental.)

My picks are Rutgers, Brooklyn, Howard(?), & doubtfully Columbia.

What should I do?

Kirk Lazarus

• View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: June 26, 2009, 09:14:19 AM »
Hey all, I got my June LSAT score today, and am eager to get a clearer sense of my T14 chances. Here's the rundown on me:

Black female
3.42 UGPA (upward trend and graduated cum laude) from HYP
Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia
168 LSAT
Softs are pretty standard: College paper editor, leadership in cultural organizations. Beginning school in Fall 2010, I'd have a year of WE under my belt.

I'm interested in First Amendment/media law.

So what are my chances, applying for Fall 2010, at:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Duke
Georgetown
UChicago
UPenn
UVA

?

Thanks in advance for any insight, and suggestions of how I might make myself more palatable to the Top 3. :)

Shoo in for everything except Yale. Yale is a toss up, GPA killin ya.

« Reply #3516 on: June 26, 2009, 09:38:54 PM »
AA Male
3.0 UGPA (from Top 30)
155 LSAT
Any shot at a Tulane or Howard?
Looking at D.C., New Orleans, and New York markets.
Thanks.

« Reply #3517 on: June 27, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »
jschooler- I think you are nearly golden at everywhere except Yale. Harvard is 50/50. Everywhere else you should have no real issues.

winethief - I don't think you will get into Howard. Unofrtunately. You should still apply. 3 weeks of studying is simply not enough to do well on logic games especially. Try the LG Bible. If you pull your score above 157, you may get into howard or rutgers. Have you thought about NC Central?

st. thomas- I think you have a shot at both honestly. If you have the choice, Howard is better because of it's placement with top firms.

Just my opinion. I am in the same boat as you guys are, as I am applying to Law school next fall as well. My dad happens to be an attorney (UNC law) so I have been kind of hip to the whole law school thing for a while now.

Kirk Lazarus

• View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: June 27, 2009, 02:40:42 AM »
Someone needs to link the "placement" numbers for Howard. There's a big difference between getting an interview and getting a SA offer. Not saying that Howard doesn't place well, but I'm skeptical that more than 3-4% of the 2Ls at HUSL are getting placed in firms (and this is from conversations with a bunch of HUSL students).

« Reply #3519 on: June 27, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
I'm back and hope someone could be of some help.  I am a non-trad AA female who worked 40+ hrs during college and I currently have a 3.2 lsac gpa with all As my last semester. I'm considering retaking classes (30 credits) that would boost it to 3.52 (I have a lot of Fs from some cc courses from back in 90 and early 2000 when I was in high school). I just retook the LSAT in June and earned a 163 (my Sept 07' LSAT was a 151). I will be retaking in September with a hope of at least 170 (I missed -5 in my first two sections and -16 in my last two in June).

So here are my questions:
1) Is it crazy to retake these old classes? Would it hurt me more than help me in the eyes of the admissions people?
2) What would be my chances at Harvard with a 3.52 and a 170+ LSAT? I believe I have some good softs (young parent, struggled to support family while in college, interesting work experience, very active in my community with interest in public interest law).

I'm set on Harvard because my husband is in school in Boston for the next 4 years and a long distance relationship with my two boys in tow is not an option. I'm not too keen on BU/BC because I am not sure if I want to stay in Boston after I'm done with law school.