Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 433525 times)

youngbr2002

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3490 on: April 05, 2009, 02:45:36 PM »
AA Male
2.9/174
B.S. Chemical Engineering
3 years work experience
What are my chances at T-14?
Should I ED anywhere in particular?

My preferences are Northwestern, Chicago and Columbia.

Dillz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3491 on: April 07, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
OK so I haven't posted here in years (since I was like a college junior I think lol). Anyway I have keep the thirst for law school since. I am just looking for general guidance. I graduate this May (yes!) I will have a 3.09 GPA upon graduation. I joined the Air Force after my freshmen year in college. I have worked all four years not only in the military but at school as well. Many many obstacles as undergrad that reflects in my gpa I have an upward trend though. I am just finishing an internship with the U.S. Department of State with rec letters. My PS really stands out from what I hear. I also have LOR's from a Judge and a retire member of the CIA amongst others. What kind of LSAT would I need to get into a T-14? Any other advice or suggestions are very much welcomed....thanks in advance

I also am interviewing for Teaching Fellows which is apart of the New teachers project, it is kind of like TFA but better IMO, because I can also earn a MA in teaching. Should I do one of these programs or just work for a year somewhere and get ready for the LSAT. I have already started preparation a little bit mind you. Took a diagnostic and got a 151 :-( Got 5 right on the games section yikes! anyway any help/advice is appreciated

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: April 08, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »
You seem to have a background that will give you some diversity boost, unless you are URM you probably will have to get in the 170 range (maybe high 160s). It just depends how much of a boost your personal statement and resume gives you because your GPA is very low for a top 14 school. With that being said, you never know till you actually take the LSAT so everything else is just speculations that wont be productive until you prepare for the best of your abilities and take the test.
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

OG

• ... it's good to be the King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: April 08, 2009, 11:38:35 PM »
Stats:
African American Female
BS, Chemistry (3.3 UGPA)
PhD, Pharmacology from Cornell University
LSAT: 172

Only schools I REALLY want to go to are Harvard, Columbia, NYU and Georgetown. I will also apply to Yale but I know it is a reach. How are my chances for those schools with my PhD on the table, as well?

I'm thinking about health law/policy, intellectual property/patent law.

I'll be the second to say that is a very impressive academic resume! Also, from firsthand experience, I can assure you Georgetown can give more than $20K a year, if that is even one of  your concerns.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: April 09, 2009, 08:57:44 AM »
OK so I haven't posted here in years (since I was like a college junior I think lol). Anyway I have keep the thirst for law school since. I am just looking for general guidance. I graduate this May (yes!) I will have a 3.09 GPA upon graduation. I joined the Air Force after my freshmen year in college. I have worked all four years not only in the military but at school as well. Many many obstacles as undergrad that reflects in my gpa I have an upward trend though. I am just finishing an internship with the U.S. Department of State with rec letters. My PS really stands out from what I hear. I also have LOR's from a Judge and a retire member of the CIA amongst others. What kind of LSAT would I need to get into a T-14? Any other advice or suggestions are very much welcomed....thanks in advance

I also am interviewing for Teaching Fellows which is apart of the New teachers project, it is kind of like TFA but better IMO, because I can also earn a MA in teaching. Should I do one of these programs or just work for a year somewhere and get ready for the LSAT. I have already started preparation a little bit mind you. Took a diagnostic and got a 151 :-( Got 5 right on the games section yikes! anyway any help/advice is appreciated

a 164+ will guarantee you a couple top 14 acceptances.
YLS c/o 2009

Erk

• View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: April 11, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »
Hi guys:

AA male
B.S. Biology
2.6 and 160
Will have 2 years of WE by time i enter law school

I'm not sure what types of schools i should target. Any suggestions?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: April 11, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »
Hi guys:

AA male
B.S. Biology
2.6 and 160

A decent split. Apply wide. Hit up the schools very widely in the 15-50 range. Apply to one or two dream schools in the t14.
YLS c/o 2009

jaw5xs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3497 on: April 11, 2009, 10:45:44 PM »
Black Male
3.3 GPA at UVA(upward trend- 2.6 average my first year)
166 LSAT
Politics w/ Global Culture and Commerce minor

Georgetown and UVA would be my top choices.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: April 12, 2009, 05:02:27 PM »
Black Male
3.3 GPA at UVA(upward trend- 2.6 average my first year)
166 LSAT
Politics w/ Global Culture and Commerce minor

Georgetown and UVA would be my top choices.

You will definitely get into several T14 schools.  GULC is pretty much a lock, I think.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Erk

• View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: April 12, 2009, 06:34:43 PM »
Hi guys:

AA male
B.S. Biology
2.6 and 160

A decent split. Apply wide. Hit up the schools very widely in the 15-50 range. Apply
to one or two dream schools in the t14.

Thanks Kirk:

i am actually studying to retake the LSAT this june. If i can bump that score up to say a 165, do you think i have a reasonably good shot at a school like Northwestern or Virginia? Thanks