Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 425497 times)

nadirhotel

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3470 on: February 25, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »
AA Male
2.7 GPA
170 LSAT

I've had bouts of depression the past couple of years, which I've began treating just recently.  I've also gotten 4.0 in the past two semesters.  Would this give me a good chance at any schools ranked 20-30?

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: February 26, 2009, 12:46:55 AM »
AA Male
2.7 GPA
170 LSAT

I've had bouts of depression the past couple of years, which I've began treating just recently.  I've also gotten 4.0 in the past two semesters.  Would this give me a good chance at any schools ranked 20-30?

As long as you put in addendum, you might have some chance I think. Although your GPA is too low the depression aspect and the 4.0 upward trend is heavily in your favor. It just depends how much they give you a leeway based on those soft factors. You might want to apply to whole bunch of them because you never know which admin person is going to give you a chance. Schools forgive a lot for high "lsat" but 2.7 is still very low. Apply to as many as you can, even higher than 20 if yu can afford it, you just never knw!!!

**edit**replaced "gpa" with "lsat"
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: February 27, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »
AA Male
2.7 GPA
170 LSAT

You'd probably get full rides at schools ranked 20-30.  You should get into a t-14.  Try GULC, Cornell, UVA, and NU (if you have work experience).  One of those should bite.
Michigan 2L

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: March 01, 2009, 10:40:43 PM »
AA Male
2.7 GPA
170 LSAT

You'd probably get full rides at schools ranked 20-30.  You should get into a t-14.  Try GULC, Cornell, UVA, and NU (if you have work experience).  One of those should bite.

I think Michigan is more splitter-friendly than either Cornell or UVA.  GULC and NU should definitely be on your list (and you have a 90+% chance of getting into one of them).
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: March 07, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »

I think Michigan is more splitter-friendly than either Cornell or UVA.  GULC and NU should definitely be on your list (and you have a 90+% chance of getting into one of them).

Michigan can't practice AA, so his GPA might be really low for them.  I would still apply though.  I had a 3.0 169 and got into Cornell and UVA with substantial scholarships, so he should be fine with those.
Michigan 2L

Who?

• Maybe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: March 07, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »
Don't mean to sound cliche but:
"Long time lurker, first time poster" ( ;))
Black female
3.7 gpa
165 lsat
sucky softs (6 yrs at after school program with poor children, research assistant to Columbia alum prof, scholarship, nat'l honor society)

I read through the ENTIRE thread to make sure my question wasn't already answered but I already sent out apps (H,Y,C,C,N,P,GULC,and GWU)so this isn't a 'where should I apply' question. Basically I am worried if I am screwed because of issues with my second recommendation which caused my apps to go complete in February. Thoughts?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: March 08, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »
Black female
3.7 gpa
165 lsat
sucky softs (6 yrs at after school program with poor children, research assistant to Columbia alum prof, scholarship, nat'l honor society)

I read through the ENTIRE thread to make sure my question wasn't already answered but I already sent out apps (H,Y,C,C,N,P,GULC,and GWU)so this isn't a 'where should I apply' question. Basically I am worried if I am screwed because of issues with my second recommendation which caused my apps to go complete in February. Thoughts?

Assuming that the issues with your second recommendation don't involve a negative recommendation of any sort, I think you're good for all but HY, with some tiny shot at either.  Some of these schools will torture you with the wait, though!  (Also, six years of service in one program is a pretty good soft.  I mean, sure, at Yale there are some people who started after school programs -- or international non-profits -- themselves, but most people applying to law school cannot display a sustained commitment to any kind of service unless it's through their church.)

Michigan can't practice AA, so his GPA might be really low for them.  I would still apply though.  I had a 3.0 169 and got into Cornell and UVA with substantial scholarships, so he should be fine with those.

But Michigan has admitted non-URM applicants with sub-3.0/170+ before and I don't think that affirmative action would have to play a role.  Splitters don't look like the typical beneficiaries of affirmative action (even if one could argue that they are in a sense).  Michigan could easily make the case that it just wanted the 170, which is at/above the 75th percentile LSAT, and this applicant put together a nice package, GPA notwithstanding.

I hope you're right about Cornell and UVA.  I just think that 3.0 is kind of the unofficial Mendoza line for splitters, you know?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Who?

• Maybe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: March 08, 2009, 03:03:37 PM »
Black female
3.7 gpa
165 lsat

Assuming that the issues with your second recommendation don't involve a negative recommendation of any sort, I think you're good for all but HY, with some tiny shot at either.  Some of these schools will torture you with the wait, though!  (Also, six years of service in one program is a pretty good soft.  I mean, sure, at Yale there are some people who started after school programs -- or international non-profits -- themselves, but most people applying to law school cannot display a sustained commitment to any kind of service unless it's through their church.)

Thanks Miss P! I should have been more specific. The complication was that we sent several copies of the letter from October to February and none were ever received or processed. Ended up faxing and it still took them two weeks to process it when it was received. It just sucks cuz I spent most of my summer preparing all of my materials and still couldn't get my apps complete until February.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: March 08, 2009, 06:11:34 PM »
But Michigan has admitted non-URM applicants with sub-3.0/170+ before and I don't think that affirmative action would have to play a role.  Splitters don't look like the typical beneficiaries of affirmative action (even if one could argue that they are in a sense).  Michigan could easily make the case that it just wanted the 170, which is at/above the 75th percentile LSAT, and this applicant put together a nice package, GPA notwithstanding.

This is true.  I think he has a good shot at getting into Michigan, but I wouldn't consider it a sure thing like Cornell or UVA.

I hope you're right about Cornell and UVA.  I just think that 3.0 is kind of the unofficial Mendoza line for splitters, you know?

There was a Black female last year with a 2.86 and a 168.  We got into pretty much all the same schools including those two.
Michigan 2L

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: March 08, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »

Agreed with this, but I think she'll get into Harvard, no problem.  Yale is not as easy a call.
Michigan 2L