Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 415378 times)

Kohinoor

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3460 on: January 27, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »
Probably will be.  I applied during the little downturn we had around 2004, and I think that still might be the highest number of applicants ever.

EDIT: Yup: http://members.lsac.org/Public/MainPage.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fPrivate%2fMainPage2.aspx

So the question is how do you think this would/should affect my choice of target schools? With my numbers i've been hearing that I should target 20-30 with 15-20 being my reaches.

AA male
3.11 gpa

If you have that much time before your apps why not study really hard for 2-3 months and retake the LSAT?

malwal

• View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: February 10, 2009, 06:18:08 PM »
I have yet another problem. I've been looking at my transcript, and man, it doesn't look good. Most disconcerting is the fact that I have 2 W's (Withdrawal) and a G (unfinished coursework). The W's were really scheduling issues, I didn't realize back then that it might not look good on a transcript. How naive I was. The G grade was an external study that I didn't complete because I got an extension but later had to leave school for financial reasons. When I came back to finish my credits I was told G grades become permanent after 1 year. So I'm stuck with it. Do you guys think I should write addenda explaining all this? I already have one explaining why I stayed out of school for 1 year and a half. I'm just wondering how much W grades affect the admissions process.

AA male
3.11 gpa

Kohinoor

• View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: February 11, 2009, 12:45:26 AM »
I have yet another problem. I've been looking at my transcript, and man, it doesn't look good. Most disconcerting is the fact that I have 2 W's (Withdrawal) and a G (unfinished coursework). The W's were really scheduling issues, I didn't realize back then that it might not look good on a transcript. How naive I was. The G grade was an external study that I didn't complete because I got an extension but later had to leave school for financial reasons. When I came back to finish my credits I was told G grades become permanent after 1 year. So I'm stuck with it. Do you guys think I should write addenda explaining all this? I already have one explaining why I stayed out of school for 1 year and a half. I'm just wondering how much W grades affect the admissions process.

AA male
3.11 gpa

Write addendum and retake LSAT.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: February 11, 2009, 06:23:21 AM »
Hm that's odd; it doesn't work for me anymore either.  Try this link:

http://lsacnet.lsac.org/data/lsac-volume-summary.htm

GoneBabyGone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3464 on: February 16, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »
Anyone wanna predict the rest of my cycle? I'm growing anxious waiting for the last four schools (particularly Y&S) 3.47/177

IN:

Harvard
Chicago ($)
NYU
Michigan (Darrow)
Georgetown
Virginia

Pending (complete date)

Stanford (9/17)
Columbia (9/16)
Yale (10/3)
Boalt (10/21)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: February 17, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
Y and S are crapshoots at this point in the cycle (you weren't autoadmit for either, evidently), though I'd lean toward no on YLS b/c of the GPA.  But who knows...just wait and see.

caliborn

• View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: February 24, 2009, 12:59:27 PM »
With a 3.0 LSAC GPA would a 170 give me a get me into Berkeley?If not, would graduate work help mitigate my poor gpa?
Lizzie: You keep talkin' to yourself, people will think you're crazy.
Lightning McQueen: [sarcastically] Thanks for the tip!
Lizzie: Uh - what? I wasn't talking to you

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: February 24, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
With a 3.0 LSAC GPA would a 170 give me a get me into Berkeley?If not, would graduate work help mitigate my poor gpa?

It could.  But it's hard to say.

I have a 3.3/171 and was admitted to Berkeley.  I did have graduate work and a strong upward trend.  I'm not sure how much those helped me, though I'm sure they didn't hurt :)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Kohinoor

• View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: February 24, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »

I got in with numbers that were only very slightly better but someone got rejected with numbers only very slightly worse. You're not auto-reject.

caliborn

• View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: February 25, 2009, 09:07:40 AM »
At least my chances are not completely shot. Well I'm going to go back my lsat prep hole ...

I got in with numbers that were only very slightly better but someone got rejected with numbers only very slightly worse. You're not auto-reject.
Lizzie: You keep talkin' to yourself, people will think you're crazy.
Lightning McQueen: [sarcastically] Thanks for the tip!
Lizzie: Uh - what? I wasn't talking to you