Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3460 on: February 10, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »
I have yet another problem. I've been looking at my transcript, and man, it doesn't look good. Most disconcerting is the fact that I have 2 W's (Withdrawal) and a G (unfinished coursework). The W's were really scheduling issues, I didn't realize back then that it might not look good on a transcript. How naive I was. The G grade was an external study that I didn't complete because I got an extension but later had to leave school for financial reasons. When I came back to finish my credits I was told G grades become permanent after 1 year. So I'm stuck with it. Do you guys think I should write addenda explaining all this? I already have one explaining why I stayed out of school for 1 year and a half. I'm just wondering how much W grades affect the admissions process.

AA male
3.11 gpa

« Reply #3461 on: February 10, 2009, 10:45:26 PM »
I have yet another problem. I've been looking at my transcript, and man, it doesn't look good. Most disconcerting is the fact that I have 2 W's (Withdrawal) and a G (unfinished coursework). The W's were really scheduling issues, I didn't realize back then that it might not look good on a transcript. How naive I was. The G grade was an external study that I didn't complete because I got an extension but later had to leave school for financial reasons. When I came back to finish my credits I was told G grades become permanent after 1 year. So I'm stuck with it. Do you guys think I should write addenda explaining all this? I already have one explaining why I stayed out of school for 1 year and a half. I'm just wondering how much W grades affect the admissions process.

AA male
3.11 gpa

Write addendum and retake LSAT.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: February 11, 2009, 04:23:21 AM »
Hm that's odd; it doesn't work for me anymore either.  Try this link:

http://lsacnet.lsac.org/data/lsac-volume-summary.htm

« Reply #3463 on: February 16, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »
Anyone wanna predict the rest of my cycle? I'm growing anxious waiting for the last four schools (particularly Y&S) 3.47/177

IN:

Harvard
Chicago ($)
NYU
Michigan (Darrow)
Georgetown
Virginia

Pending (complete date)

Stanford (9/17)
Columbia (9/16)
Yale (10/3)
Boalt (10/21)

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: February 17, 2009, 04:18:29 PM »
Y and S are crapshoots at this point in the cycle (you weren't autoadmit for either, evidently), though I'd lean toward no on YLS b/c of the GPA.  But who knows...just wait and see.

« Reply #3465 on: February 24, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »
With a 3.0 LSAC GPA would a 170 give me a get me into Berkeley?If not, would graduate work help mitigate my poor gpa?

« Reply #3466 on: February 24, 2009, 01:56:39 PM »
With a 3.0 LSAC GPA would a 170 give me a get me into Berkeley?If not, would graduate work help mitigate my poor gpa?

It could.  But it's hard to say.

I have a 3.3/171 and was admitted to Berkeley.  I did have graduate work and a strong upward trend.  I'm not sure how much those helped me, though I'm sure they didn't hurt :)

« Reply #3467 on: February 24, 2009, 04:14:30 PM »

I got in with numbers that were only very slightly better but someone got rejected with numbers only very slightly worse. You're not auto-reject.

« Reply #3468 on: February 25, 2009, 07:07:40 AM »
At least my chances are not completely shot. Well I'm going to go back my lsat prep hole ...

I got in with numbers that were only very slightly better but someone got rejected with numbers only very slightly worse. You're not auto-reject.

« Reply #3469 on: February 25, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »
AA Male
2.7 GPA
170 LSAT

I've had bouts of depression the past couple of years, which I've began treating just recently.  I've also gotten 4.0 in the past two semesters.  Would this give me a good chance at any schools ranked 20-30?