Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 421888 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3430 on: January 10, 2009, 07:41:14 AM »
A retake probably isn't worth it unless you can score 165+.  CCN aren't that much better than MVP to justify a retake.  But with a 165, you could get into Harvard, and that would probably be worth it.

EDIT: And btw, I'm from the deep South...that's not an excuse for an LSAT score...especially not from someone who went to an Ivy undergrad...

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: January 10, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »
160/3.75 AA female
Ivy undergrad

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
U Chicago
Cornell
Duke
Georgetown
UCLA

I have average softs.I'm also from a SE region state (the lowest-performing region on the LSAT, and generally not as well represented as NE, W regions), if it matters.

Chances?

If Duke, why not UVA?  And definitely apply to Penn.  I still think you will get into at least one of CCN.  They love high GPAs and love Ivy grads.

I wouldn't retake unless you score 5+ points or more.  That's really the only guarantee that you'll have that they won't average.
Michigan 2L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: January 10, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
You might be at a slight advantage.  YLS had more people from Yale than from any other institution, and some attributed that to the fact that the law school profs knew some of the ugrad profs (and some even teach ugrad classes).  But I don't think it's a significant enough bump for you to use it in calculating your chances.

souxiesoux

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3433 on: January 12, 2009, 05:22:15 PM »
I am a black female who recently graduated from an HBCU. I graduated cum laude with a GPA of 3.6 and my LSAT was 154. I have two prior misdemeanors, one for shoplifting when I was 17 and one for a false police report in 2007. I was involved in lots of extracurricular activities, with leadership, and did 3 internships during college. I received a LSAC fee waiver, if that means anything, but I'm at a socioeconomic disadvantage.

I applied to UMiami, Howard, St.Thomas, Georgia State... what do you think my chances are?

Thanks!!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: January 13, 2009, 10:10:55 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts for this guy?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: January 14, 2009, 10:51:11 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts for this guy?

If he has a LLM, why does he need a JD?  I'm confused.  Isn't that moving backwards?
Michigan 2L

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: January 14, 2009, 10:53:20 AM »
I am a black female who recently graduated from an HBCU. I graduated cum laude with a GPA of 3.6 and my LSAT was 154. I have two prior misdemeanors, one for shoplifting when I was 17 and one for a false police report in 2007. I was involved in lots of extracurricular activities, with leadership, and did 3 internships during college. I received a LSAC fee waiver, if that means anything, but I'm at a socioeconomic disadvantage.

I applied to UMiami, Howard, St.Thomas, Georgia State... what do you think my chances are?

Thanks!!

You'll get into all of those.  I don't know what your career aspirations are or if you have any location preferences, but you should have applied to much higher-ranked schools.  You should also get a substantial scholarship to Howard.  Good luck.
Michigan 2L

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: January 15, 2009, 10:04:42 PM »

Thanks!!

I dont know how much your misdemeanors will affect you, but from looking at your gpa it seems you overcame your obstacles although 2007 police report is a bit recent (be sure to disclose it in your app, just to be safe when the time comes for you to take the bar and you wont run into any "suprises"). But yeah I second the statement "you should apply to much higher ranked schools". I dont know much about the other schools but I have researched Howard and it is one of those schools that performs way higher than its ranking, especially if you planning on practicing in the D.C market. Looking at your numbers you should have a decent shot, you lsat is their range and your gpa is obviously above their range. Good luck!!
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: January 15, 2009, 10:07:19 PM »
just to be safe when the time comes for you to take the bar

I predict a ton of trouble with that for the bar.  2007??  I didn't even notice that.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions on where to apply? 3.2 GPA 157 LSAT
« Reply #3439 on: January 15, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
Hello,

I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions on where someone like I (large public uni., black male) with a 3.2 GPA in finance and a 157 LSAT should consider applying to?

Thanks

Hey we have similar numbers (although I have a few major soft factors), after deciding which area you are most likely to practice you should look into that region. I am mostly familiar with north east region so I can only speak for that area but you should look into schools like Fordham, Temple, GW, UMD, Rutgers, Howard, American, catholic, George Mason, George Washington...out of those lists Geogre Washington will prob be an extreme reach. Lets say you were fortunate enough to get accepted into all of those listed..i will prob rank em GW, Fordham, Mason, Umd, Rutgers, Howard, Temple, American, and catholic..(american will be a lot higher but they too expensive I think)..Again this is just for north east area..and just my two cents...
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!