Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 422494 times)

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3400 on: January 06, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »
If a school offers you a CRS based fee waiver, does that indicate higher chance of acceptance? Just curious

Yes.

Make sure to shoot an application to UM.

I would apply, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.  Michigan does not take a lot of NAs, and the ones they do are normally from the in-state pool.  Unless you're in-state, I would say your chances of admission are low.

Though I do think you will get into a t-14.  Try NU, Cornell, and GULC.  Those are your best shots, IMO.
Michigan 2L

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: January 06, 2009, 10:33:46 PM »
If a school offers you a CRS based fee waiver, does that indicate higher chance of acceptance? Just curious

Yes.

Really?  I think it just means that your LSAT is in the range of scores they're hoping to attract and maybe one other factor (like you indicated that you would like to go to school in their state). 

Either way, good luck, Fresh Prince.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: January 06, 2009, 10:42:47 PM »

Really?  I think it just means that your LSAT is in the range of scores they're hoping to attract and maybe one other factor (like you indicated that you would like to go to school in their state). 

The above does typically apply to non-URMs.  I have very rarely seen an URM get a fee waiver at a school and not get accepted.
Michigan 2L

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: January 06, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »

The above does typically apply to non-URMs.  I have very rarely seen an URM get a fee waiver at a school and not get accepted.

Interesting.  I didn't know this.  (Also, my situation -- non-URM, yes -- was, er, idiosyncratic given my wide split, and my sense of how little fee waivers mean may be colored a bit by bitterness.)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: January 06, 2009, 11:01:09 PM »
Plenty of people get fee waivers.  Whether it means anything depends on the school.  Yale, no.  The GULC machine, probably.

The Fresh Prince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3405 on: January 06, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »
Well I've gotten a few but the one I liked the most was Duke. Hopefully it means something :-\

Thank you!
you're wrong. Also, your avatar and your name don't make any sense. Step your game up, son.

malwal

• View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: January 07, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »
Plenty of people get fee waivers.  Whether it means anything depends on the school.  Yale, no.  The GULC machine, probably.

A,

I'm an AA male, 3.1/158, some work experience(16 months as a Portfolio Analyst), some charity, and some involvement in the local religious community. Otherwise unremarkable soft factors.

However, I actually immigrated in my teens from Somalia due to my family being exiled (which i will use in my personal statement). A) Do you think I have chances at the following schools,....B) what target schools should I look at,...C) safe schools?

Boston College
Washington U St.Louis
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
George Mason
Georgetown
George Washington
UCLA

I appreciate your help, thanks.

PS,..I majored in Finance, however I went to school from 00-04, but because of financial reasons i left school for 1 year and a half, then came back and finished 9 remaining credits in the spring of 2006. Should I put this in an addendum? Will this affect my chances?

LeveragedSellout

• Swagger on a hundred, thousand, trillion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: January 07, 2009, 01:46:49 PM »
For what its worth, I did a bit of analysis on the performance of black males on the LSAT. Based on what Iíve found, I suspect you might be in decent shape w/ a 158. Also, please feel free to challenge my reasoning

Based on LSAT scores from 2005-2006, the average LSAT for black males was 142.96 with a standard deviation of 8.79. 3,992 black males took the test that year.

Given these numbers, it seems that a 160-161 would put someone in the 95th percentile of black male test takers (142.96 + 2*8.79 = 160.54). 5% of 3,992 is about 200, so it seems that only 200 black males broke 160 for the year.

I went through the ABA information for each of the top 14 schools, and found that well over 450 black males attend these schools. As such, one can reasonably conclude that the majority of black men at t14 schools scored below 160 on the test.

Feel free to draw whatever conclusions you feel are valid from this info.

Source:
http://lsacnet.lsac.org/Research/LSAT-Performance-Regional-Gender-Racial-Ethnic-Breakdowns-1999-00-2005-06.pdf

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: January 07, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »

Boston College
Washington U St.Louis
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
George Mason
Georgetown
George Washington
UCLA

BC - Not sure
WUSTL - In
Vanderbilt - Out
Wake Forest - In
George Mason - In
Georgetown - Out
GW - In if PT, Out if FT
UCLA - Out
Michigan 2L

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: January 07, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »

A,

I'm an AA male, 3.1/158, some work experience(16 months as a Portfolio Analyst), some charity, and some involvement in the local religious community. Otherwise unremarkable soft factors.

However, I actually immigrated in my teens from Somalia due to my family being exiled (which i will use in my personal statement). A) Do you think I have chances at the following schools,....B) what target schools should I look at,...C) safe schools?

Boston College
Washington U St.Louis
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
George Mason
Georgetown
George Washington
UCLA

I appreciate your help, thanks.

PS,..I majored in Finance, however I went to school from 00-04, but because of financial reasons i left school for 1 year and a half, then came back and finished 9 remaining credits in the spring of 2006. Should I put this in an addendum? Will this affect my chances?

P.S.  Apply to Howard.  You'll most likely get a full ride, and it's a better option than any other school that you'll most likely get into.
Michigan 2L