Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 415141 times)

doubledown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3330 on: December 23, 2008, 11:54:37 PM »
I find this more douchey than anything he said.  So maybe you're right...

I never said I wasn't one.  Stop playing captain-save-a-negro.

Someone have a bad finals period?  Hope next semester goes better.
Ouch!  Although I will say that if GoneBabyGone is who I think he is on TLS, then he can be a bit suspect. 

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: December 24, 2008, 12:48:52 AM »
*channeling Lisa Wu Hartwell*

Be Nice!
Columbia 3L

LeveragedSellout

• Swagger on a hundred, thousand, trillion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: December 24, 2008, 07:05:00 AM »
i really have nothing of substance to add here. i just made a couple changes to my profile and wanted to see how they looked.

Cord

• View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: December 25, 2008, 01:24:17 PM »
What are my chances?

158/3.34 black male with Caribbean origins from NYU.
ADHD and Pituitary tumor(which caused my grades to drop at one point).
I've worked at the Attorney General's Office, interned for the 9th most powerful Congressman in the country in addition to working as a political consultant, writing policy and producing and editing political advertisements and I am currently getting a Masters in Public Policy at NYU and I've directed and produced a documentary in South Africa.
I'm also a member of my University's Senate.

Can't afford to take the LSAT again(I really want to but I just don't have the money for a tutor and the test).

I got into Duke last year but didn't go(uncle was killed and parents goin through major divorce)
I'm aiming for Georgetown, NYU, UPenn but what do you think my chances are with some other schools? Do schools who aim to give you fee waivers indicate better chances? (USC, Vanderbilt and Stanford last year all wanted to give me Fee Waivers).

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: December 25, 2008, 02:03:31 PM »
That's quite the story.  Target MVP, but apply to the upper t14 as well.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Money vs Ranking
« Reply #3335 on: December 26, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »
Hey, guys! I hope everyone had a good christmas. I gathered great infromation from these threads in the past, but I am back because I have a new problem (I guess its a good problem). Just to give back ground information, I live around D.C. and want to go to a school in the north eastern region (Ofcourse unless I receive an offer I cant refuse lol). Anyways, I just found out I got accepted to University of Maryland school of law, which I am extremly excited about. However, I was not offered any scholorship (not that I was expecting to). I have applied to other schools like Temple, Howard, American Univ, and Loyola-chicago, Mason, and George Washington. I doubt I will be accepted to any "better" school's than Univ of MD. since Mason has denied me and George Washington seems highly unlikeable.

My question is, if I get some money from these other schools which are well respected around D.C Metropolitan area, should I take those offers. I am pretty sure some of them will offer me money. Or should I just suck it up stack up the loans and attending a great school like UMD. I am torn about it already, although my guts (soon to be my lawyer intution lol) tells to me to go with UMD. I appreciate your help in this matter thank you guys.
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Re: The LSAT has been my downfall
« Reply #3336 on: December 26, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »
Hey, how you doing? You definatly have a great story and I am glad you made it through college and earned your good grades. I highly concur with the advice of you not to stigmitizing your self as a bad test taker and find out your weakness on the Lsat (which section are you having a problem with). With that being said, dont lose sight of the progress you have made so far and from the info you gave you have a great story. It seems to me your Personal Statment is extremly improtant in your case, so taylor that portion of your app to tell your story with out being negative (it is curcial you adhere to this advice.

Also you definatly should write an addendum. you had 1010 for SAT and got into a top school graduating with 3.7, it definatly lets them know a standarized test score doesnt necessarly reflect your abilities. My numbers suffered due to some unexpected life problems I ran into. I wrote an addendum and used the personal statment to my advantage (I got accepted to Univ of MD) which by the way you should look into. Apply to as many top schools as you can, and do not listen to people who tell you you dont have a chance here and there. I did not apply to UMD till someone who knew my personal story convinced me to do, so listen to the right people. I did not get to a top 10 school but i got to the school I did extremly well with the application process given my numbers and where i got accepted in (I am tellin saying this so you know I am speaking from first hand exprience)..good luck and feel free to send me messages if you have any questions. Again Congrats on your sucess at cornell.

Work on your lsat and get it some points
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

ThatyoungKOkid

• View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: December 28, 2008, 02:51:20 AM »
A, you seem to be very knowledgeable, and I seek your predictions. Here are my stats:

164 3.7 (I am sooo extremely happy that xynder did early decision at a school i didn't even apply to!!!!!!!)

I applied to most of the top schools and some others.

Thanks!!

amm11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3338 on: December 28, 2008, 03:56:52 AM »
What are my chances?

As a URM (African-American male), I'm hopefully on course
for a 3.8 gpa and a 171 LSAT with decent soft factors.
I figure that I have a pretty
good chance at Columbia, NYU, Chicago, etc. but,
what are my chances for Yale, Harvard and Stanford?   

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: December 28, 2008, 09:36:47 AM »
A, you seem to be very knowledgeable, and I seek your predictions. Here are my stats:

164 3.7 (I am sooo extremely happy that xynder did early decision at a school i didn't even apply to!!!!!!!)

I applied to most of the top schools and some others.

Thanks!!

Target CCN, but you have a decent chance at H as well. Probably not Y or S, but who knows?