Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 426737 times)

The Fresh Prince

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3280 on: December 10, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »
I wouldn't count that as academic.

Kinda what I figured...thanks.
you're wrong. Also, your avatar and your name don't make any sense. Step your game up, son.

Epiphanic

• View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: December 10, 2008, 07:22:06 PM »
I have asked for advice before with my stats, but I took the LSAT a second time on Saturday. I can not wait to receive my score b/c my options are limited with my current numbers (2.94 LSDAS gpa and 153 LSAT). I misbubbled in the RC sec. when I took it in June.

Two weeks before sitting for the exam, I took three practice tests and scored a 162, 161, and another 161 (in that order).

If I am even a couple points shy of 161, what do you think my chances at UIllinois, UFlorida, IndyU, Vanderbilt, and Emory?

Any places I would need to consider instead?

I'm new to the numbers game in regards to LS, but with what I have learned thus far, I'd look at Howard, Rutgers, University of Denver...not Emory or Vandy though.

K Thanks! Rutgers and UDenver are not in my pool, but any insight on UFlorida? UConn.. UIUC... Wake Forest. I have applied to Howard and some 80-100 schools, but I am now considering some reach schools. Reach schools that may consider me to some extent if my LSAT turns out higher.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: December 16, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »
Posted this on Top Law Schools, figured I would give here a try as well.

I'm a URM (black), 3.2 gpa from a top 10 school, 170 LSAT, interested in academia.

I was prepping around 174-175, and I'm considering a retake, wondering if it's worth it. I was sick for a large chunk of UG which put a big hit on my GPA (before and after the sickness I was in the 3.6/3.7s.) Will anyone will care about that?

Harvard's would be my top choice with everything else a distant second, if it was within reach at all. I honestly have no idea. I'm planning to apply next year so I'll have 2 years of unrelated work experience, if that matters.

Worth it to retake, and what are my chances?

No, don't retake (b/c you can't risk a dip).  You still have a shot with HLS, even though your GPA is a bit low.  Just make your application shine!  Good luck!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

chovia

• View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: December 16, 2008, 11:06:52 PM »
Hello all,

I have a 3.47 gpa and 168 LSAT...

I'm a UG senior contemplating going to a t10 grad school for public policy before law school. My question is will a successful two years boast my admission prospects in general? And at present would the T10 law programs be a reach? 

Thanks

secondsblue

• View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: December 16, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a UG senior contemplating going to a t10 grad school for public policy before law school. My question is will a successful two years boast my admission prospects in general? And at present would the T10 law programs be a reach? 

Thanks

FORGET grad school. LAW SCHOOL NOW. Most T-14's offer a dual degree JD/MPP if you really want to.

Apply at ALL T14s. You're a lock everywhere except YHS, and I'd bet money on you cracking H and S.

WhereCanIGo

• View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: December 17, 2008, 01:36:30 AM »
This is my first post here.

Gay African American Male
3.85 GPA (Tier 1)/154 LSAT

Softs
2 years law firm experience
Study Abroad France/Work Abroad Sidaction Paris
University Academic Prizes
Letters of Recommendation from former Rehnquist Clerk and Current University President (both were professors)

Thoughts?

T-14 possible.  Plan to retake, but wonder where I could go with current stats?

In at Cornell Early Action. Applied at Northwestern with fee waiver. Retook LSAT Dec. 6. Will await new score apply to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, and UChicago and see what happens.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: December 17, 2008, 06:24:39 AM »
Hello all,

Thanks

FORGET grad school. LAW SCHOOL NOW. Most T-14's offer a dual degree JD/MPP if you really want to.

Apply at ALL T14s. You're a lock everywhere except YHS, and I'd bet money on you cracking H and S.

Hm I generally agree with this, except the S part.  An MPP is a fairly weak degree, and lots of people get one, so it probably won't help that much.

ilr2009

• View Profile
    • Email
The LSAT has been my downfall
« Reply #3287 on: December 17, 2008, 08:35:46 PM »
But then again I only got a 1050 on my SATs, but I have a 3.7 at Cornell.

Anyway, I just sent out my applications this week and noticed that most of my choices are top 15 schools. What worries me is that I don't expect to get higher than a 151 on my LSAT (I took the 12/08 test). Will my GPA and undergraduate institution carry me? How about LOR? Mine were written by the present and previous deans of my school. A little bit more about me, I am a high school dropout that got her GED then went to a CC where I graduated with a 3.74. I am a member of an URM, the first in my family to go to college, and a non traditional student (I started college at 25). I'd like to believe that I am more than my LSAT score but am I deceiving myself?

My picks
-American University
-Cornell
-Columbia
-Harvard
-Fordham
-Emory
-North Western
-Yeshiva
-UPenn
-U of Chicago
-U of Texas
ilr2009 is online now      I just don't understand why 4 years of hard work doesn't count as much as one 3.5 hour test.

"That One"

• View Profile
Re: The LSAT has been my downfall
« Reply #3288 on: December 17, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »
I just don't understand why 4 years of hard work doesn't count as much as one 3.5 hour test.

Yeah it sucks but that's the way it is.  If I were you I would retake.  A 151 definitely limits you and even your 3.7 from Cornell will not make you competitive.   

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The LSAT has been my downfall
« Reply #3289 on: December 17, 2008, 10:29:47 PM »
Come back when you actually have your score, but yeah, you're probably not getting into those with a 151.