Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 433303 times)

secondsblue

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3270 on: December 04, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
in Boalt via E-mail. 2/2 on T14 acceptances. "A."'s advice is proving spot on thus far...

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: December 04, 2008, 06:34:47 PM »
;)

ellieluv10

• View Profile
In need of input pronto, please?!?
« Reply #3272 on: December 05, 2008, 08:41:57 PM »
Help, help, help :-) I am in dire need of some kind of direction with schools...or the possibilities? I plan on applying to law school next year.

My Story...  :-\

I am a 20 year old African American female currently enrolled at IU, and come the fall semester of my senior year I will have 3.0/3.1 GPA. Not very high I know, but I have come a lonnng way  since my freshman year. Extenuating circumstances, especially in the past year has been an understatement (at one point I almost dipped below a 2.0), but since then I have been getting nothing but straight A's. I will get my GPA up to a 2.8 this semester (currently now), and by fall the 3.0 will be there. I have scored a high 160's (around 167 and up) to low 170's on my practice tests for the LSAT. I have been studying for quite some time!

With my 3.0 GPA, and 170 LSAT, what are my chances of getting into the top tier schools? And what are the chances if I dip slightly below 170 (166-169) I'd like to stay in the midwest where I'm from, but would venture off to the west/east coast if necessary.  The schools I'd like to (dream to) get into...

Ohio State University  :)
 Michigan
 Northwestern  ;D
 U of I Urbana
 USC/Berkeley, maybe?  ;D
 Howard
 Indiana University (where I'm at for Undergrad)
 ...and just any of the top 10 at all.

I would just like to know if I'm dreaming too big, or if it's possible.

My disadvantages are: I withdrew from a lot of classes the last couple of years, due to the extenuating circumstances so it's explainable (several deaths in the family, medical issues)...
  Advantages: I am involved in several organizations, as well as being Assistant manager at a retail store (30 hrs plus), and have several internships under my belt, as well as 2 years on one of the University's athletic teams.

By the time I graduate, I will be double majoring in Journalism and African American Diaspora Studies, with a minor in Political Science.

I would greatly appreciate it if any and everyone could respond. I've been kind of hesitant to seek help in school because I'm a little embarrassed of my earlier grades. I have to get over it, I know...but I have to start somewhere...

Thanks for reading!!!  :)

PS.... with my stats, is it possible for a good portion of scholarship/money offered? If so, does anyone know how much maybe....?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: December 05, 2008, 08:58:29 PM »
*if* you get that 170, you'll get into all of those and most of the t10.

cj003

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3274 on: December 06, 2008, 09:10:06 PM »
A.A. 3.25(ucla)

lsat 150

good chance at santa clara?
-unlv?
-hastings?
lmu?

thanks

cj003

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3275 on: December 07, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »
if not those where to apply?

Epiphanic

• View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: December 08, 2008, 12:16:54 AM »
I have asked for advice before with my stats, but I took the LSAT a second time on Saturday. I can not wait to receive my score b/c my options are limited with my current numbers (2.94 LSDAS gpa and 153 LSAT). I misbubbled in the RC sec. when I took it in June.

Two weeks before sitting for the exam, I took three practice tests and scored a 162, 161, and another 161 (in that order).

If I am even a couple points shy of 161, what do you think my chances at UIllinois, UFlorida, IndyU, Vanderbilt, and Emory?

My recalclated gpa is low (took a few classes twice)

Any places I would need to consider instead?

The Fresh Prince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3277 on: December 09, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »
Quick question folks. I know most schools I'm applying to require 2 academic recommendations. If I have a close relationship with a university professor NOT at the school that I attend, would that count as an academic recommendation or should I count it as personal? I've never taken a class with him but I have done work with him outside of a school setting. Opinions?
you're wrong. Also, your avatar and your name don't make any sense. Step your game up, son.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: December 09, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »
I wouldn't count that as academic.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3279 on: December 10, 2008, 05:27:31 PM »
I have asked for advice before with my stats, but I took the LSAT a second time on Saturday. I can not wait to receive my score b/c my options are limited with my current numbers (2.94 LSDAS gpa and 153 LSAT). I misbubbled in the RC sec. when I took it in June.

Two weeks before sitting for the exam, I took three practice tests and scored a 162, 161, and another 161 (in that order).

If I am even a couple points shy of 161, what do you think my chances at UIllinois, UFlorida, IndyU, Vanderbilt, and Emory?

My recalclated gpa is low (took a few classes twice)

Any places I would need to consider instead?

I'm new to the numbers game in regards to LS, but with what I have learned thus far, I'd look at Howard, Rutgers, University of Denver...not Emory or Vandy though.