Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 426633 times)

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3230 on: November 23, 2008, 08:14:51 AM »
How many points in either direction of the LSAT would you safely compare yourself to? With my 156 should I consider the record earned by a 158 or a 159?
No

...I know that due to my very unusual stats (165, 2.85 (as a single mom and 20 years ago, and within the window of serious grade inflation)...
I'm confused.  Do you mean serious grade deflation?  ???

No, grade inflation.  I graduated just as grades began to rapidly inflate, with curves at Bs and even As.  Most of my classes were curved to a C.

According to studies on grade inflation, GPAs have increased .15 per decade, so that my 2.85 is roughly equivalent to a 3.15-3.2 - not great, but above the dreaded 3.0.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

summertimechi

• View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: November 23, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »
hmm no Gtown acceptance yet, and I know many have went out... 164/3.92. interesting. maybe shoulda mentioned diversity more in my PS.

Chill out.  The chances of you going to GULC are slim anyway.

darn

stop worryin about gtown mister, you'll be fine! I made it, you will too. ;)

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: November 24, 2008, 12:43:22 AM »
How many points in either direction of the LSAT would you safely compare yourself to? With my 156 should I consider the record earned by a 158 or a 159?
No

...I know that due to my very unusual stats (165, 2.85 (as a single mom and 20 years ago, and within the window of serious grade inflation)...
I'm confused.  Do you mean serious grade deflation?  ???

No, grade inflation.  I graduated just as grades began to rapidly inflate, with curves at Bs and even As.  Most of my classes were curved to a C.

According to studies on grade inflation, GPAs have increased .15 per decade, so that my 2.85 is roughly equivalent to a 3.15-3.2 - not great, but above the dreaded 3.0.

Oh, I get it!  :P  It seems like you weren't "within" that window of grade inflation, but rather just before it.  Makes complete sense now! Thanks!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: November 25, 2008, 03:14:43 PM »
If you say so.

The point is, Alici, is that I'm looking for people to prove me wrong.  Two week ago, I met a Yale alum, now a prof at a T40, who tried to convince me to apply to Yale.  He felt that my "whole package" was something they would appraise in an unbiased fashion, yet I theorize that while my package might be appraisable if I were of a certain age, there is in fact a cutoff - a point there law students are past prime.  I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong - but as of yet, I haven't run across a T14 1L under the age of 40. If you come across one, particularly one of color, can you let me know?

I think the dearth of over-40 law students has less to do with any "cut-off" and more to do with the fact that a.) few people at that age are willing to go back to school to start new careers, b.) of those who are, even fewer have the qualifications to attend a t14, and c.) of those who do, even fewer are willing up uproot or leave their families to move to one.  So yeah, few and far between, but probably not because of any "psychological cut off."

I'm in 100% agreement with A.

FWIW, there's a woman in my class who I'm guessing to be at least 45, probably older.  But she's not an URM, though.
Columbia 3L

Doctor Esquire

• View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: November 27, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
Plan on applying to law school next year.

PhD from MIT in Biological Chemistry
BS Chemistry (3.3 GPA)
LSAT: 172
Black Female

Schools I am doing apps for, thus far: Harvard, UPenn, Georgetown, Columbia, NYU, Duke.

What are my chances? First choice: HLS

Does the PhD help me?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: November 27, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »
You will likely get in everywhere you apply, and some places with serious scholarships, if you apply early with a good essay.  Most graduate degrees won't help; being a black woman with a biochem Ph.D. from MIT definitely will.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: November 27, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »
Indeed.

ETA: Duke seems the odd one out in your top choices.  If you're going to live in a random city, why not also apply to Yale?

Doctor Esquire

• View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: November 27, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »
Well Yale seemed more for people not wanting to go into practice. And I've also got the impression that I wouldn't get into Yale if I did not have a 3.9 UGPA (which I don't). I visited Duke Law one time when I was in the area and really liked the school and atmosphere. I actually thought of Duke as more of a safety because I DO want to be in a city....What is your impression of Yale Law?

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: November 27, 2008, 07:06:44 PM »
Well Yale seemed more for people not wanting to go into practice. And I've also got the impression that I wouldn't get into Yale if I did not have a 3.9 UGPA (which I don't). I visited Duke Law one time when I was in the area and really liked the school and atmosphere. I actually thought of Duke as more of a safety because I DO want to be in a city....What is your impression of Yale Law?

Duke is a great school and you'd probably enjoy yourself there, but with your stats/background I do think you'd do better applying to Yale (or even Michigan) than Duke.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Doctor Esquire

• View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: November 27, 2008, 11:30:12 PM »
Isn't Yale a reach with a 3.3 UGPA?