Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 421446 times)

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3220 on: November 22, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »
Okay, guys, I have a strange question.  I know that due to my very unusual stats (165, 2.85 (as a single mom and 20 years ago, and within the window of serious grade inflation), very strong softs, i.e., 20 years experience in academia and state and national politics including as a candidate) that my cycle is essential up in the air, but any idea as to timing?  I applied fairly early in the cycle - essentially before 10/15.  Any thoughts as to when I might hear back?  I've been thinking about sending out a second round of apps after Thanksgiving, and have been wondering how much of my kids' college fund I should decrement in additional applications from the t30-50 range.

I know I'm essentially just stressing out, but I've scoured LSD to no avail.  In addition, if anyone can actually provide proof that within their T14 class there is a student above the age of 40, I'd be greatly obliged, as I'm beginning to doubt their actual existence. 
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: November 22, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »
You'll hear eventually.  Splitters tend to hear later.

As for classmates over 40:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Wurtzel

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: November 22, 2008, 10:04:01 PM »
You'll hear eventually.  Splitters tend to hear later.

As for classmates over 40:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Wurtzel

Yeah, but Wurtzel started law school at 38.  My thesis is that the +40 crowd have a distinct disadvantage as 1Ls, particularly at T14a.  There's a psychological cut off, like a 165 LSAT.  It's arbitrary, but still there.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: November 22, 2008, 10:21:20 PM »
If you say so.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: November 22, 2008, 10:54:03 PM »
If you say so.

The point is, Alici, is that I'm looking for people to prove me wrong.  Two week ago, I met a Yale alum, now a prof at a T40, who tried to convince me to apply to Yale.  He felt that my "whole package" was something they would appraise in an unbiased fashion, yet I theorize that while my package might be appraisable if I were of a certain age, there is in fact a cutoff - a point there law students are past prime.  I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong - but as of yet, I haven't run across a T14 1L under over the age of 40. If you come across one, particularly one of color, can you let me know?

space for rent.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3225 on: November 22, 2008, 11:34:17 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm trying to expand my horizons. I do not have anything keeping me in a particular market. I am a NC resident, howevever, for what it is worth.

I am a non-trad with approx. 12 years of professional marketing and corporate training experience. I'm a published writer with a few academic and professional writing awards.

There is a huge gap between my first two years in college and my latter two. It looks like I'll make it out of an HBCU with a 3.5-3.6 with a major in English and minor in Philosophy. I have two LORs finished thanks to a former employer and a prof. I am working on a third.

I think I bring a clarity of purpose and a diversity of perspective and culture. I also like to think my Statement will be solid.

My interest is in employment and labor law. Ideally I would like to attend a ls with ties to a strong research institution that provides a PhD program in labor/international/political philosophy or the like. I would like to combine my outreach experience with formal legal training and academic research for, maybe, something in policy or government? I'm open to the end result. Got to leave some room for fate. :)

My LSAT is 156 and I'ma ride or die with it because I'm only taking it once.

Currently on my radar:

UIUC
University of Arkansas - Fay
UNC
NCCU
Seattle U
Tulane

I am hoping for any and all reccomendations of other schools I should research. I am open to location but would love the pacific northwest or the east coast.

Ultimately, my number one concern after do I stand a chance of acceptance is MONEY!!!!  Cost of living, liberal scholarships, etc.

Thanks.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: November 22, 2008, 11:37:11 PM »
If you say so.

The point is, Alici, is that I'm looking for people to prove me wrong.  Two week ago, I met a Yale alum, now a prof at a T40, who tried to convince me to apply to Yale.  He felt that my "whole package" was something they would appraise in an unbiased fashion, yet I theorize that while my package might be appraisable if I were of a certain age, there is in fact a cutoff - a point there law students are past prime.  I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong - but as of yet, I haven't run across a T14 1L under the age of 40. If you come across one, particularly one of color, can you let me know?

I think the dearth of over-40 law students has less to do with any "cut-off" and more to do with the fact that a.) few people at that age are willing to go back to school to start new careers, b.) of those who are, even fewer have the qualifications to attend a t14, and c.) of those who do, even fewer are willing up uproot or leave their families to move to one.  So yeah, few and far between, but probably not because of any "psychological cut off."

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: November 23, 2008, 12:10:39 AM »
If you say so.

The point is, Alici, is that I'm looking for people to prove me wrong.  Two week ago, I met a Yale alum, now a prof at a T40, who tried to convince me to apply to Yale.  He felt that my "whole package" was something they would appraise in an unbiased fashion, yet I theorize that while my package might be appraisable if I were of a certain age, there is in fact a cutoff - a point there law students are past prime.  I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong - but as of yet, I haven't run across a T14 1L under the age of 40. If you come across one, particularly one of color, can you let me know?

I know a fairly recent YLS alum who I think was 41 when she applied (as a transfer). 

The BBE was 40 when he applied to law school.  He got into HLS and CLS.  I don't know if he applied to YLS.  (He went to Yale undergrad and never seemed too fond of it.)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: November 23, 2008, 12:10:57 AM »
How many points in either direction of the LSAT would you safely compare yourself to? With my 156 should I consider the record earned by a 158 or a 159?
No

...I know that due to my very unusual stats (165, 2.85 (as a single mom and 20 years ago, and within the window of serious grade inflation)...
I'm confused.  Do you mean serious grade deflation?  ???

Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: November 23, 2008, 07:41:17 AM »
If you say so.

I know a fairly recent YLS alum who I think was 41 when she applied (as a transfer). 

Oh I think I know who you're talking about.  I didn't know how old she was, but that seems about right.