Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 426785 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3150 on: October 25, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »
I cosign all of A's advice.
Columbia 3L

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: October 25, 2008, 03:37:45 PM »
Small.  GULC tends to be a GPA whore.  But (and this is my advice to everyone on this thread) apply anyway...like Eugene said, the worst they can say is no.

What do you think my chances are for Washington St.Louis? Are they generous to URMs? Thanks again A and Eugene, bless you guys. I also have another question,...how difficult is it to transfer into the T-14 for a URM?

You should get in, probably with decent money. I got wl'd there a couple of years ago with a lower lsat and gpa, although i had some pretty unique soft factors and played up ties to the area in my app. I also sent that app in really late, had i sent in earlier who knows. so again, get your stuff in yesterday.

Law school is too random to even think about transferring at this point. Assume you will graduate from the school at which you matriculate. There are WAY too many variables in law school that are all pretty much beyond your control to assume that you'll be able (or even want) to transfer.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: October 25, 2008, 04:51:23 PM »
Indeed.  Transferring presumes you'll be at the top of your class wherever you matriculate.  That's a very big presumption.

Sambamc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3153 on: October 25, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
I've already gotten some feedback that I should apply everywhere and see what happens but considering my financial circumstances, I'll likely go to the school that offers me the best financial package. With a 3.1-173 as a black male, what are my chances of being offered a full ride in T14?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: October 25, 2008, 05:58:05 PM »
OK, this is my first post here, so bear with me, as I have a couple of questions  :)

I have about a 3.3 LSDAS GPA from a top public school.  My grades have a strong upward trend (2.6 first 2 years, 3.7 the last two).  I did work in undergrad and paid my own way through school.  I know they don't factor in the GPA, but I also have a master's degree and finished with a 3.96.  I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but plan to in June (my prep class starts in late March-ish).  I'll also have about 4 years of WE by the time I'd start law school. 

With that said, of course I should aim for a 180, but what is around the LSAT score I should get to have a good shot at a t14 school?  Do I have any shot at HYS?

[I did read the advice that you all gave others with similar numbers, but I was curious to know if my situation might be a bit different due to the strong upward trend in GPA and advanced degree]

Thanks in advance!

So, the scores are back and I scored a 166.  Given the previous advice of needing about a 168+ (save A, who said 165+) for a shot at the top 6 or so schools, should I retake or just apply with what I have now?  My list of schools thus far is as follows:

Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Northwestern
Michigan
Penn
Michigan
Boalt
Duke
Georgetown

Also, info that I didn't include in the first post in terms of soft factors: inner city high school teacher, fist gen college student, socioeconomically disadvantaged background (child of teen parents).  In addition, my sucky undergrad grades are, at this point, about 8+ years old.

Thanks!

With a 3.3/166 and your softs, I think you stand a decent chance at CCN.  You're in at the lower t14.  Retake only if you're sure you can score better.  Most people don't.

I retook and scored a 171!  Any shot at HYS?  Chances with CCN?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: October 25, 2008, 06:11:46 PM »
I've already gotten some feedback that I should apply everywhere and see what happens but considering my financial circumstances, I'll likely go to the school that offers me the best financial package. With a 3.1-173 as a black male, what are my chances of being offered a full ride in T14?

I'd say that you'd have the best chance at NU because of your lsat (do you have WE?  NU is big on that...if not, they sometimes offer a full ride if you defer for a year and work).  Maybe you could get a Darrow at Mich as well.  Good money from Cornell is very possible, too.

Columbia 3L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: October 25, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »
With a 3.3/166 and your softs, I think you stand a decent chance at CCN.  You're in at the lower t14.  Retake only if you're sure you can score better.  Most people don't.

I retook and scored a 171!  Any shot at HYS?  Chances with CCN?

Congrats.  With a 3.3/171, you should be in at Harvard.  Yale and Stanford will depend on your essays, but you should definitely apply.

secondsblue

• View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: October 26, 2008, 12:18:02 AM »
Top 10, focusing on CCN.

I only have 8 months post-grad work experience. Should I still pursue Northwestern?

(BTW, I have a 3.92, not 3.91 like I posted before. Oops).

Also, yes/no HYS?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: October 26, 2008, 07:36:24 AM »
Top 10, focusing on CCN.

I only have 8 months post-grad work experience. Should I still pursue Northwestern?

Probably not.

(BTW, I have a 3.92, not 3.91 like I posted before. Oops).

Also, yes/no HYS?

Yes, you should apply.  I just wouldn't call them targets.  You have a decent chance at Harvard.

phoebejax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3159 on: October 26, 2008, 01:22:07 PM »
3.54/154. Black female graduated from an HBCU... lots of socioeconomic factors, held lots of leadership positions...3 internships. Looking for schools in Miami, NYC, and Georgetown is my dream school. Any thoughts?