Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3080 on: September 18, 2008, 05:19:52 PM »
I have been lurking for a long time and I hope that you can help me.  I would like to know where should I be targeting.

I am a splitter 3.01 @ a non HYP Ivy (bad freshman year upward trend)
LSAT 166 retaking in October.  I have been consistently scoring between 172-175 on timed preptests.

Worse case scenario, If I stay at 166, where should I be targeting (I would like to stay on the east coast).  Is there any chance at the lower T-14?

Best case, if I can crack 170 who radically does that change things for me (I will have my apps ready to send as soon as the October scores are released).

thanks,

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: September 18, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »
I have been lurking for a long time and I hope that you can help me.  I would like to know where should I be targeting.

I am a splitter 3.01 @ a non HYP Ivy (bad freshman year upward trend)
LSAT 166 retaking in October.  I have been consistently scoring between 172-175 on timed preptests.

Worse case scenario, If I stay at 166, where should I be targeting (I would like to stay on the east coast).  Is there any chance at the lower T-14?

Best case, if I can crack 170 who radically does that change things for me (I will have my apps ready to send as soon as the October scores are released).

thanks,

Aim higher than whatever I post, because IMO, UG counts for a lot when it comes to URMs.  So, it may give you an extra boost.

With a 166, you will most likely get into GULC and NU.  HYS are out.  CCN are probably out with that GPA or you will be waitlist material.  Michigan is probably out.  You'll probably get waitlisted or maybe accepted at the rest of the t-14.  You will at least get into a couple.  You should be in @ any school below the t-14 save UCLA.

With a 170, you probably move up into the CCN category as far as targets.  HYS become reaches instead of super reaches.  The rest of the t-14 (save Berkeley and Duke) will be strong targets.

« Reply #3082 on: September 18, 2008, 06:16:15 PM »
Thank you!!!

I am adding Vanderbilt, Emory, Fordham & Cardoza to my list.  It is nice to know I have a realistic chance.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: September 18, 2008, 07:40:12 PM »
Thank you!!!

I am adding Vanderbilt, Emory, Fordham & Cardoza to my list.  It is nice to know I have a realistic chance.

I think you mean Cardozo. It's good to round out your list with the schools you mentioned, but you definitely have a shot at the T-14.  I would re-take the LSAT to give a boost to your GPA, but even  with a 166, you'll have options. 

« Reply #3084 on: September 18, 2008, 09:13:29 PM »
Yes, you are right.
I did mean Cardozo.  I am sorry about the typo (i don't know how to go back in to edit my posts).

« Reply #3085 on: September 22, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
Quick question for those studying for/already taken the LSAT...how the hell did you guys figure out logic games? I got the LG Bible and I'm slowly getting the concepts, but compared to LR and CR I feel like I'm lightyears behind. Am I the only one?  ???

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: September 22, 2008, 08:48:12 PM »
Quick question for those studying for/already taken the LSAT...how the hell did you guys figure out logic games? I got the LG Bible and I'm slowly getting the concepts, but compared to LR and CR I feel like I'm lightyears behind. Am I the only one?  ???

Practice, practice, practice!  I found LG to be the trickiest part of the LSAT, too, but you definitely can master them with disciplined study, perserverance, timed practice, and a willingness to review every wrong answer until you understand where you missed the mark.  Perhaps consider taking one of Powerscore's weekend classes if you still feel like you need some help with LG and/or other parts of the exam.  Good luck!

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: September 22, 2008, 09:00:02 PM »

Practice. I made 10 copies of every single LG ever tested and did them in my spare time constantly. Waiting for the Metro? Doing a logic game. At the doctor's office? Doing a logic game. Waiting on friends for dinner? Doing a logic game.

I *&^% you not...by the time test date rolled around, I could do games in my sleep.

« Reply #3088 on: September 24, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
Thanks for the responses folks. That's basically what I've been doing lately...constantly going at em. I'm hoping one day it'll all just click for me  :D

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: September 24, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »
Thanks for the responses folks. That's basically what I've been doing lately...constantly going at em. I'm hoping one day it'll all just click for me  :D

It will.

I will say that I think Powerscore does a bad job of teaching the LG.  The Testmasters strategy was similar but much more simplified.