Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2180 on: July 10, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »
Hey, I would just like to thank all of you for your quick and rich responses. I haven't had a chance to read through all of them but what I've read so far is highly encouraging. To answer someone's question my ug was split between a top 10 non-ivy and a relatively well know small liberal arts school. I will def put a little money in the bank and go ahead and roll the dice with at least 4-14. Thanks for the encouragement and also... it was def the nerves on the lsat. I wasn't prepared for them and on the first section i didn't have time to finish and was a little hurried... even though I felt like I aced the rest of the test so I was surprised to see my score so far below my average. I may try and take a couple of more diangnostics under 30min time conditions and see if my score improves at all. Once again thank you... and I will be posting here more often.

edit- and oh yea, my GPA is definately a 3.25, I don't know how A- are counted so I just calculated the 2 that I had as B's and the rest of my grades were a's b's 1'd and 2c's for all 4 years. (the D was due to a I don't give a damn, i already have a sweet job i'm not taking this price theory exam type of attitude... yea I know seems stupid as hell now)

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: July 10, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »
Hey, I would just like to thank all of you for your quick and rich responses. I haven't had a chance to read through all of them but what I've read so far is highly encouraging. To answer someone's question my ug was split between a top 10 non-ivy and a relatively well know small liberal arts school. I will def put a little money in the bank and go ahead and roll the dice with at least 4-14. Thanks for the encouragement and also... it was def the nerves on the lsat. I wasn't prepared for them and on the first section i didn't have time to finish and was a little hurried... even though I felt like I aced the rest of the test so I was surprised to see my score so far below my average. I may try and take a couple of more diangnostics under 30min time conditions and see if my score improves at all. Once again thank you... and I will be posting here more often.

edit- and oh yea, my GPA is definately a 3.25, I don't know how A- are counted so I just calculated the 2 that I had as B's and the rest of my grades were a's b's 1'd and 2c's for all 4 years. (the D was due to a I don't give a damn, i already have a sweet job i'm not taking this price theory exam type of attitude... yea I know seems stupid as hell now)

A's = 4
B's = 3
C's = 2
D's = 1
F= Cooley   ::)

« Reply #2182 on: July 11, 2007, 03:34:03 PM »
First time poster - didn't want to write anything until I had my official LSAC numbers in.

LSAT: 172
GPA: 3.31 (Swarthmore)

Goals: T14, preferably with some scholarship money.  The big thing about law school for me is that I've been out of school for four years (five by the time I attend), and if I'm not going to be earning money, I'd like to go somewhere that I might be able to get some help and not loan myself to death.

Soft Factors: Ran my own business from 2001-2005, fairly substantive career in politics and working for an elected official, management experience, a colorful work history and I've been quoted in a few newspapers concerning my professional background.  Thoughts?

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 11, 2007, 03:39:50 PM »
you have a good shot at money at CCN on down, an excellent shot at Northwestern and Duke if I had to guess.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: July 11, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »
an excellent shot at Northwestern and Duke if I had to guess.

Most definitely!

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: July 11, 2007, 06:55:07 PM »
I'd say a good shot at everywhere except Yale considering Swathmore is brutal.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: July 11, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »
he was talkin' about money tho. He should get some dough at Columbia on down... so that's everyone that gives dough.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: July 11, 2007, 07:28:42 PM »
I'd say a good shot at everywhere except Yale considering Swathmore is brutal.

Agreed.  But yeah, no money at H or S.

Baron

« Reply #2188 on: July 12, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
What schools are generally good on the fin. aid or other kinds of money? Does it just depend?

-B

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: July 12, 2007, 08:19:01 AM »
What schools are generally good on the fin. aid or other kinds of money? Does it just depend?

-B

titcr.  HYS only give need money.  I think every other school but Chicago gives some sort of full tuition scholarship.  But the amount that you get from a particular school seems to be a bit of a crapshoot.  If money is a big motivating factor, apply as widely as possible.