Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 426730 times)

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2130 on: July 02, 2007, 11:03:38 PM »
Hello all. Here are my stats:

Black female
3.7/169
First gen. college grad
Immigrant (recently naturalized)
Former Marine (Active Duty- Honorable discharge)
Worked full time through most of undergrad
Single parent through most of undergrad

Edit: Also bought first house at 19, 6 months after having my baby. Don't know if that adds much, but it's something I'm really proud of.

So what are my chances at T14?

Do I know who you are? Do you go to school in VA? If not, I met someone very similar to you. I'm no expert at this, but your stats were stronger than mine, and I was told that I had a decent chance all of the T14 (including YHS)

ETA: If you don't feel like disclosing what state you went to undergrad, I certainly don't blame you.
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 02, 2007, 11:05:47 PM »
Yup, don't screw up the PS, and you're in at one or more of YHS.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 02, 2007, 11:07:16 PM »
Yup, don't screw up the PS, and you're in at one or more of YHS.

agreed
Columbia 3L

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 03, 2007, 12:11:03 AM »
The GPA makes you unpredictable.  You'll get into some t14s with the 166, but it's hard to guess which ones.  Probably Cornell/GULC/Duke.  Maybe MVP.  I wouldn't say a t6, but who knows.

I think he has a shot at CCN.  He should apply to all of the T14, of course.  Since he's been out of school for so long I don't think his GPA matters so much.  And he's a black male, of course. 

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: July 03, 2007, 07:26:26 AM »
Yeah, I'm curious to see how the no-AA thing affects Mich.  Might make a difference, might not.

As for CCN, yeah he has a shot.  I just wouldn't bet on it.  Being black doesn't cure all.

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2135 on: July 03, 2007, 12:31:36 PM »
The GPA makes you unpredictable.  You'll get into some t14s with the 166, but it's hard to guess which ones.  Probably Cornell/GULC/Duke.  Maybe MVP.  I wouldn't say a t6, but who knows.

I think he has a shot at CCN.  He should apply to all of the T14, of course.  Since he's been out of school for so long I don't think his GPA matters so much.  And he's a black male, of course. 

Thanks for the hope. I have considered taking the test again in September, but man oh man that would be a female dog. I personally don't think no-AA will affect UMich significantly, because at the end of the day the adcoms will push which ever agenda they want to set forth. I just hope the liberals in place at the various university adcoms across the nation continue to believe that though AA is not a solution it is damn sho better than nothin

Baron

• View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 03, 2007, 07:46:50 PM »
For the recent posters with June scores: Did I read correctly that the scale was -8 for a 170?

Correct -8 for 170

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 03, 2007, 09:40:45 PM »

Thanks for the hope. I have considered taking the test again in September, but man oh man that would be a female dog. I personally don't think no-AA will affect UMich significantly, because at the end of the day the adcoms will push which ever agenda they want to set forth. I just hope the liberals in place at the various university adcoms across the nation continue to believe that though AA is not a solution it is damn sho better than nothin

FWIW, they actually had staff blacking out the race section on all apps yet to be reviewed, and that was mid-cycle this past year.  The Dean of Admissions seems to think the entire affair is pretty moronic, but they appear to be taking the letter of the law rather seriously.

That's what the PS is for.  ;)
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: July 03, 2007, 09:42:16 PM »

FWIW, they actually had staff blacking out the race section on all apps yet to be reviewed, and that was mid-cycle this past year.  The Dean of Admissions seems to think the entire affair is pretty moronic, but they appear to be taking the letter of the law rather seriously.

That's what the PS is for.  ;)

exactly.

The approach is the same as if you were applying to Boalt.
YLS c/o 2009

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 03, 2007, 10:36:54 PM »
Resume too: "Member, Black Student Alliance"