Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 433195 times)

UVaCav

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2120 on: July 01, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have a lot to think about these next few days.  This spot is the absolute worst for me.  I told myself anything under 155 would be a definite retake and anything above a 162 would be acceptable.  I should have known I would fall into that gray area.  It's really tough for me because I know I would do what I had to do to succeed in law school.  Failure would not be an option.  Average would not be an option for me in law school but I understand that the admission committees need something to show them that.  Standardize tests have never been my a bright spot for me.  I know my soft factors like community service and work experience are extremely strong but the obstacle would be for them to even get past the numbers.  Getting two degrees from UVA would be a powerful statement for my family.  Most of them have worked for the school in mid (and low) level positions but I will be the first to actually attend and get a degree from here.  This school has always been a huge force in my life because it has always a source of income for my parents.  However, it always appeared to be this shinning light on a hill that none of us have ever been able to get to.  Perhaps a BA is where my journey here ends which will be an accomplishment in itself for a first generation student.  What do you all think about schools like William and Mary, George Washington, and Fordham with my numbers?

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 01, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have a lot to think about these next few days.  This spot is the absolute worst for me.  I told myself anything under 155 would be a definite retake and anything above a 162 would be acceptable.  I should have known I would fall into that gray area.  It's really tough for me because I know I would do what I had to do to succeed in law school.  Failure would not be an option.  Average would not be an option for me in law school but I understand that the admission committees need something to show them that.  Standardize tests have never been my a bright spot for me.  I know my soft factors like community service and work experience are extremely strong but the obstacle would be for them to even get past the numbers.  Getting two degrees from UVA would be a powerful statement for my family.  Most of them have worked for the school in mid (and low) level positions but I will be the first to actually attend and get a degree from here.  This school has always been a huge force in my life because it has always a source of income for my parents.  However, it always appeared to be this shinning light on a hill that none of us have ever been able to get to.  Perhaps a BA is where my journey here ends which will be an accomplishment in itself for a first generation student.  What do you all think about schools like William and Mary, George Washington, and Fordham with my numbers?

If you have your summer free, I'd consider re-taking the LSAT.  If you can devote 3-4 hours a day to prepping, I don't see any reason why you can't retest in September.  I suggest that you get the two Powerscore Bibles and work your way through them until you know them backwards and forwards.  In addition, do all the prep you need for the revised reading comp section.  (I don't know what to recommend for the changed format, since I tested with the old one.  I'm sure someone else does though.)  Then, do as many real practice tests as you can (particular the later ones) under real testing conditions!!!!  Get the books LSAC puts out to do these though.  Finally, consider doing the weekend refresher course that Powerscore does in major cities shortly before the actual test days.  If you can swing the money for it, it might be worth the confidence boost you get once you realize that you really do know your stuff coming off the summer.  If UVA is your goal, I say taking the test again (but being VERY VERY prepared) is worth it! hth  :)
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Baron

• View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 01, 2007, 07:49:19 PM »
Greetings all...just got my June score back and I can't complain.  Now I have a question about how I should pursue my application strategy/  Assuming 3.5+ and 170 should I pursue a risk averse strategy or still go balls out, b/c I had a couple of strange ideas for my PS?  Oh yeah...and thanks for all the help, directly or indirectly.

-B

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 01, 2007, 07:52:45 PM »
Why take a risk?  You pretty much have a T3 sealed.  Take risks when your chances are small.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 01, 2007, 07:55:51 PM »
Greetings all...just got my June score back and I can't complain.  Now I have a question about how I should pursue my application strategy/  Assuming 3.5+ and 170 should I pursue a risk averse strategy or still go balls out, b/c I had a couple of strange ideas for my PS?  Oh yeah...and thanks for all the help, directly or indirectly.

-B

I was in a category which would make me a shoo in for every school except Yale (no one is ever a shoo in there) and I pretty much executed a strategy where I gave the school a real sense of who I am, my beliefs, values and passions. I felt like it was much more important for law schools to know that despite me being a Black man with great numbers, I also have these other dimensions which I felt were my real qualifications for law school.

Of course, you're a shoo-in at H on down, really, so it doesn't matter what you do as long as you haven't been arrested for addictive drugs,  been violently militant, or are a registered sex offender.

ETA: #1's approach is great too.
YLS c/o 2009

Baron

• View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: July 01, 2007, 07:58:59 PM »
Can I PM you guys if I have specific questions?  Ya'll go to Yale right? I feel like I have no clue what they really want and might apply there...preciate it.

-B

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 01, 2007, 08:00:10 PM »
Yep. Feel free to PM me and I'll help you, no problem.
YLS c/o 2009

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2127 on: July 02, 2007, 01:13:52 AM »
k

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 02, 2007, 07:26:21 AM »
The GPA makes you unpredictable.  You'll get into some t14s with the 166, but it's hard to guess which ones.  Probably Cornell/GULC/Duke.  Maybe MVP.  I wouldn't say a t6, but who knows.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 02, 2007, 09:57:23 AM »
I am a blk male
166 on june lsat
MBA 5 years of work experience
UG GPA- 2.9 (I was a party animal and missed class alot)
Personal Statements and Diversity essay are both ironclad
LORs from the president of my university and columbia law school faculty
Loads of extracurriculars

What are my chances at T14 gold

Also depends on your degree-granting institution and where you worked.  A 2.9 at Dartmouth and 5 years at Goldman Sachs is viewed a bit differently than a 2.9 at University of Phoenix (online) and 5 years at Pop Copy.  Otherwise I agree with #1.  Alright shot at MVP, very slim but still a chance for CCN.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.