Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 424102 times)

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances?
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2005, 12:20:06 AM »
I major in International Business and Finance at Howard.

I'm not too sure about Harvard either, but I'm definitely going to try my best to get in. I know I'll have to work my @$$ off. Thanks for your response and your best wishes, I was beginning to think no one would respond.  :)
Who's your Daddy now?

carabinero

• View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2005, 12:30:04 AM »
According to law school numbers your lsat is pretty low for Harvard law. But for all we know, half the numbers there could be fudged, although i doubt it. High 160s seems to be the lowest lsat that makes its way into the top few schools. Of course there are always other things to consider other than lsat scores, and your gpa is great. What about berkeley? They seem to take quite a few people with stats like yours. When I apply, I am going to spread my applications around pretty generously in hopes that at least a few will come through. I would make a list of all the schools you are willing/want to attend, go to http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html and check out your chances on each of them (bearing in mind those percentages are a little high), and go from there. If you want to go to Harvard sending an app there couldnt hurt, but I would cover all the bases and spread yourself out a little bit to broaden your options. Lsac.org also has an odds calculator on their site that might be worth checking out as well, but its a bit more cluttered than chiashu. Good luck with everything. You have very good stats and you will get in somewhere you want to go.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2005, 12:44:10 AM »
That's my plan; send a ton of apps out and see where I get in. Berkeley's definitely on the list, I just don't know if I would go there.

I think I'll see what schools I get into and decide whether I would want to go to any of them, or whether working for two years might be better.

Decisions, decisions. *sigh*

I'm hoping the fact that my business major will add to my diversity factor. I've spent a lot of time resume-building so hopefully my (limited) experience will help me out a little.
Who's your Daddy now?

John Galt

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2005, 04:02:34 AM »

I'm not too sure about Harvard either, but I'm definitely going to try my best to get in. I know I'll have to work my @$$ off. Thanks for your response and your best wishes, I was beginning to think no one would respond.  :)

Yes, Howard to Harvard...yum.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2005, 11:17:09 AM »

Yes, Howard to Harvard...yum.

Wishful thinking in your eyes?  :) I'm sure it's been done before.
Who's your Daddy now?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2005, 11:56:33 AM »
Your major is a good solid one and your UGPA is high. Howard's undergrad school has made great strides and it's now a top 100 undergrad school. Go to the lawschoolnumbers site. I think the bottom LSAT score Harvard accepted was a 166/167. Also Harvard has been taking a lot of international students who have to pay the full tuition price. So that diversity factor might not be a huge help. There was a controversy last year because they are taking more international black students than American ones. I think you should apply to Harvard because you have nothing to lose. But who knows what's in Harvard's head. Right now you should start working on your personal statement because that can take many months.

But apply to as many top schools as you want to. If Harvard is your goal and you don't get in then you can go to another top school and either stay there or transfer to Harvard. But your numbers look great for the schools I stated above and for maybe Virginia and Boalt as the other poster pointed out. You have a lot of options. Good luck.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2005, 12:02:32 PM »
Your major is a good solid one and your UGPA is high. Howard's undergrad school has made great strides and it's now a top 100 undergrad school. Go to the lawschoolnumbers site. I think the bottom LSAT score Harvard accepted was a 166/167. Also Harvard has been taking a lot of international students who have to pay the full tuition price. So that diversity factor might not be a huge help. There was a controversy last year because they are taking more international black students than American ones. I think you should apply to Harvard because you have nothing to lose. But who knows what's in Harvard's head. Right now you should start working on your personal statement because that can take many months.

But apply to as many top schools as you want to. If Harvard is your goal and you don't get in then you can go to another top school and either stay there or transfer to Harvard. But your numbers look great for the schools I stated above and for maybe Virginia and Boalt as the other poster pointed out. You have a lot of options. Good luck.

Technically, I am an international student. I actually plan to highlight some of the challenges I faced as a recent immigrant in my PS.
Who's your Daddy now?

John Galt

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2005, 12:06:56 PM »

Nah a 161 got in I think and a 164. The people with Low LSATs also had low GPA's. I think Harvard or Yale might bite because of your high GPA.

John Galt

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2005, 12:09:41 PM »

Technically, I am an international student. I actually plan to highlight some of the challenges I faced as a recent immigrant in my PS.

an immigrant, you are? Accepted, you might be. But remember, ambition is a way to the dark side. Think clearly, you must...

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2005, 12:16:30 PM »
I hope you get into to Harvard. It looks like you have a strong personal statement topic. I hope you and John Galt get in. Good luck to both of you.