Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 422283 times)

thenupes

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3780 on: January 19, 2011, 01:27:23 AM »
AA male, 2.9 and 147. Strong LOR's, essays and nice amount of significant work experience. Do I have a chance at getting into any school lol? Howard is the top choice... Thanks!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: January 22, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »
Man!

Looking at it now, its hard to believe this site used to be legendary!  There used to be at least 100 comments EACH DAY on the BLSD board alone.  Today, it doens't even look like there have been 100 comments over the last year. 

It seems like the recent classes of law school applicants are less concerned with general conversation with other fellow applicants and are more concerned with lawschool numbers.  (???)

Can ya'll please come back?  :'(  :'(  :'(

I miss the LSD days especially BLSD. No where else compares.

Thanks to the few remaining old heads that still take the time to pop in ever so often, but on the real, BLSD was the greatest.  :(

Lol yeah, I once downloaded a plug-in to automatically refresh BLSD every few minutes...and each time, there would be something new, likely in the general thread or the thread on politics.  But alas...life goes on.  I'm more obsessed now with investments (index funds, people...and max out that 401(k) and Roth IRA (using the traditional IRA loophole)), tax breaks (thank you, Republicans and President Obama!), and planning my next vacation (Russia was fun)  ;).  I don't even feel qualified to play the "what are my chances" game anymore.  Sads. (Though I do feel amply qualified to advise current and future law students to minimize loans...$100k, much less $200k, isn't worth it for most people...and that four-digit monthly payment blows).

JLaw45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3782 on: January 23, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm a long time lurker here but a first time poster. This might be a little long as I have a tendency to write extensively. Come to think of it, I might want to work on that before I get to law school...

Anyway, I'm only a sophomore right now. I have decided that law is definitely in my future, so I'm writing this primarily to get an idea of what paths I can realistically follow to reach my ultimate goal of becoming a practicing attorney.
After doing some minimal studying and examining a couple of practice tests, I've concluded(based on my average raw scores so far) that if I sat the LSAT today I would likely score somewhere between a 155(low end) and a 160(high end).

None of that is set in stone, obviously. I haven't done much in the way of serious preparation yet(just half of one old kaplan logic games book really), but the point was just to see what my worst case scenario or "baseline" is. Naturally with a few more serious books(I'll try to buy those powerscore bibles this summer) and practice tests I can probably get better.

But lets assume its 2013 and I'm about to graduate with this scenario:

-AA Male(don't know if specifics matter here, but I'm Afro-Caribbean with English citizenship via mother's birth)
-157 LSAT
-3.4 GPA
-Ivy Undergrad
-Softs: I've already completed a novel which I might try to get published before I graduate.
I also play college football, though I'm not what you'd call an "impact player"(just a couple of starts in 2 seasons so far). I walked on to the team.
I don't know how much legacy counts, but I have a significant amount of it at Harvard.
I interned in the New York State legislature and the NY Court system my senior year of high school.

-Top choices: Harvard would be awesome but I can see that it is clearly a reach in this scenario. Vanderbilt is very appealing to me. I ultimately would like to work in the southeast. The lower cost of living is a big draw as I was born in NY and have been here for most of my life. Its cold and absurdly expensive, I've found.

I don't know what type of law I'd like to focus on yet. Big-Law down south would be cool, but I'd be fine with a Mid-Law firm or a well-paying smaller firm. My goal is just to be financially secure in the face of the inevitable debts I will accrue so I can support myself and my mother.

What would my chances be at these schools?

Harvard
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Penn
Duke
Virginia
Emory
Howard

Any insight with regards to each school's placement potential in the southeast and/or other schools I haven't mentioned that offer good placement potential in that region would be greatly appreciated.

Again, sorry for the length of this post.

Jwebony956

• Planning my work, working my plan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: January 28, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
Man!

Looking at it now, its hard to believe this site used to be legendary!  There used to be at least 100 comments EACH DAY on the BLSD board alone.  Today, it doens't even look like there have been 100 comments over the last year. 

It seems like the recent classes of law school applicants are less concerned with general conversation with other fellow applicants and are more concerned with lawschool numbers.  (???)

Yup. Much more friendlier bunch used to be on here. Them kids on TLS that call themselves URMs just don't cut it. Over here definitely had a more family feel to it. Oh, well. I can savor the memories, I guess.  :-[

I hope all is well on your end, Burning Sands. You were a legend on these here parts. I'm sure you still are in real life.  ;D

Lol yeah, I once downloaded a plug-in to automatically refresh BLSD every few minutes...and each time, there would be something new, likely in the general thread or the thread on politics.  But alas...life goes on.  I'm more obsessed now with investments (index funds, people...and max out that 401(k) and Roth IRA (using the traditional IRA loophole)), tax breaks (thank you, Republicans and President Obama!), and planning my next vacation (Russia was fun)  ;).  I don't even feel qualified to play the "what are my chances" game anymore.  Sads. (Though I do feel amply qualified to advise current and future law students to minimize loans...$100k, much less $200k, isn't worth it for most people...and that four-digit monthly payment blows).

A. you're not alone. I'm still on the quest to start law school but I'm glad I delayed it some years. I'm definitely big on investments and savings too, considering all the hoopla surrounding elimination of SS benefits for my generation and beyond. I'm glad I was able to start investing before law school so my money is still working for me during those three years of studies. At this point I no longer care about rankings of this school or that unless its Harvard or Yale. I will only pay sticker price or close to it for those schools because they both have excellent LRAPs.
Top 6 Choices:
Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern

Jwebony956

• Planning my work, working my plan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: January 28, 2011, 01:22:04 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm a long time lurker here but a first time poster. This might be a little long as I have a tendency to write extensively. Come to think of it, I might want to work on that before I get to law school...

Anyway, I'm only a sophomore right now. I have decided that law is definitely in my future, so I'm writing this primarily to get an idea of what paths I can realistically follow to reach my ultimate goal of becoming a practicing attorney.
After doing some minimal studying and examining a couple of practice tests, I've concluded(based on my average raw scores so far) that if I sat the LSAT today I would likely score somewhere between a 155(low end) and a 160(high end).

None of that is set in stone, obviously. I haven't done much in the way of serious preparation yet(just half of one old kaplan logic games book really), but the point was just to see what my worst case scenario or "baseline" is. Naturally with a few more serious books(I'll try to buy those powerscore bibles this summer) and practice tests I can probably get better.

-AA Male(don't know if specifics matter here, but I'm Afro-Caribbean with English citizenship via mother's birth)
-157 LSAT
-3.4 GPA
-Ivy Undergrad
-Softs: I've already completed a novel which I might try to get published before I graduate.
I also play college football, though I'm not what you'd call an "impact player"(just a couple of starts in 2 seasons so far). I walked on to the team.
I don't know how much legacy counts, but I have a significant amount of it at Harvard.
I interned in the New York State legislature and the NY Court system my senior year of high school.

-Top choices: Harvard would be awesome but I can see that it is clearly a reach in this scenario. Vanderbilt is very appealing to me. I ultimately would like to work in the southeast. The lower cost of living is a big draw as I was born in NY and have been here for most of my life. Its cold and absurdly expensive, I've found.

I don't know what type of law I'd like to focus on yet. Big-Law down south would be cool, but I'd be fine with a Mid-Law firm or a well-paying smaller firm. My goal is just to be financially secure in the face of the inevitable debts I will accrue so I can support myself and my mother.

Harvard
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Penn
Duke
Virginia
Emory
Howard

Any insight with regards to each school's placement potential in the southeast and/or other schools I haven't mentioned that offer good placement potential in that region would be greatly appreciated.

Hey JLaw,

Fellow Afro-Caribbean here. Big up!

If law school is definitely what you want then I do not think you'll have any major issues with getting into any of those schools, except Harvard. If you want Harvard try shooting for at least a 170. If you want free money/scholarships, shoot for the mid- to high 160s range. Also, you still have two years of undergrad left to boost your resume and raise that GPA. Right now, just focus your sophomore and junior year and do well in all your classes. If you have extra down time, continue studying for the LSATs. I know it may not sound wise now but I also strongly suggest you get some work experience post-college before jumping straight into law school.

Good luck!
Top 6 Choices:
Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3785 on: January 29, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »

I was actually on the phone with Jeffort last night talking about this.  There seems to be a general shift away from forums to other internet media, though I'm not exactly sure where.  I mean, for camaraderie there's FB and Twitter obv, but for serious advice about LSAT and law school admissions, I have no idea where people are congregating.  Certainly not here, and even TLS has slowed waaaay down.

JLaw45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3786 on: February 02, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »

-157 LSAT
-3.4 GPA
-Ivy Undergrad

Harvard
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Penn
Duke
Virginia
Emory
Howard

Hey JLaw,

Fellow Afro-Caribbean here. Big up!

If law school is definitely what you want then I do not think you'll have any major issues with getting into any of those schools, except Harvard. If you want Harvard try shooting for at least a 170. If you want free money/scholarships, shoot for the mid- to high 160s range. Also, you still have two years of undergrad left to boost your resume and raise that GPA. Right now, just focus your sophomore and junior year and do well in all your classes. If you have extra down time, continue studying for the LSATs. I know it may not sound wise now but I also strongly suggest you get some work experience post-college before jumping straight into law school.

Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time to consider my post, I really appreciate it. :)

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3787 on: February 02, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »
Earl Cat, Burning Sands, Ebony.....

Non URM here, but I can show the LOVE for the BLSD!

I think the problem you are seeing (not just on BLSD, but on the entire site) may relate to a sense of generalized anxiety in terms of the legal field's saturation and the economy.  You know, those tacit "Will I measure up?" type questions.

Also, there are not enough cheerleaders, like Thane Messinger, posting.  There are plenty of anal sphincters, naysayers, and general twits.  Any meaningful discussion goes two ways.  Oftentimes, when a sincere question is asked by a relative newbie (especially 0Ls), they are lambasted.

That doesn't exactly spread the love.  Just my .02
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3788 on: February 03, 2011, 10:34:47 PM »
Apparently we've got decent traffic hitting the site, but a high bounce rate.  So lots of new people are finding us but not a lot are posting.

I agree that the lambasting is bad, and when sites get big and have lots of regulars, they tend to start to get insular.  I also think that the lack of search hurts us.  Not quite sure how to get people to post initially though.

Ivy2189

• View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: May 14, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »
I am a student at the number two university in the country and should graduate next year with a 3.2. Would I be able to get into HYS with a 170+ LSAT score?