Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 426779 times)

Byakuya769

• View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3730 on: March 16, 2010, 11:55:25 PM »
I'm back after a long time of lurking.

I'm 26 y/o AA male, almost finished with a MS in finance
167 lsat
2.97 lsdasgpa (bio/pre-med)

I didn't apply to any schools until the middle of January, due to problems obtaining good letters.  I applied to Harvard, Columbia (invite/fee-waiver), Chicago, Duke (invite/fee-waiver), Emory, Vanderbilt, and Stetson.

I recently received a notice of being Wait-listed at Vanderbilt.  However, I am seriously contemplating waiting out this year and retaking the lsat.  If I could score a 170, and maintain my 3.8+ gpa in grad school.  How would my chances improve?  I also would work, and put more time into a local non-profit I work with, also I would be the first application in the mail for every school I apply to.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: March 17, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »
Hi I was on this thread a while ago and ended up taking a (great) job, retaking the LSAT and applying this year (3.5+/high LSAT 175). I was just wondering - from the UVa students - what is it like? How are the living costs? I have a full tuition scholarship there and am leaning towards it.

Wow, great score! Do you have admission to other schools that you might be considering as well?

I'm back after a long time of lurking.

I'm 26 y/o AA male, almost finished with a MS in finance
167 lsat
2.97 lsdasgpa (bio/pre-med)

I didn't apply to any schools until the middle of January, due to problems obtaining good letters.  I applied to Harvard, Columbia (invite/fee-waiver), Chicago, Duke (invite/fee-waiver), Emory, Vanderbilt, and Stetson.

I recently received a notice of being Wait-listed at Vanderbilt.  However, I am seriously contemplating waiting out this year and retaking the lsat.  If I could score a 170, and maintain my 3.8+ gpa in grad school.  How would my chances improve?  I also would work, and put more time into a local non-profit I work with, also I would be the first application in the mail for every school I apply to.

It's not the LSAT; it's your UGPA. My personal belief is that for AA people, the GPA seems to matter more than the LSAT, to some extent. Even if you have a good grad GPA, I don't think it matters as much to schools. Plus, retaking the LSAT is very risky. I retook to get 170+, but I also prepped for it just as hard as I did for the first time (maybe more so since I had a free summer to work on it). You might try to apply early next year, but I can't say that retaking the LSAT is your best option.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Byakuya769

• View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: March 17, 2010, 01:59:42 PM »

It's not the LSAT; it's your UGPA. My personal belief is that for AA people, the GPA seems to matter more than the LSAT, to some extent. Even if you have a good grad GPA, I don't think it matters as much to schools. Plus, retaking the LSAT is very risky. I retook to get 170+, but I also prepped for it just as hard as I did for the first time (maybe more so since I had a free summer to work on it). You might try to apply early next year, but I can't say that retaking the LSAT is your best option.

The first go around I only used a princeton review book, if I retake, I plan on taking a full course on it or getting private tutoring.  I do realize that my main detrimental factor is definitely th ugpa, though.. but I can't change that   :'(

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: March 20, 2010, 07:12:39 AM »
It's the UGPA + applying so late.  With a split, you do need to be first out of the gate and have to apply widely.

Byakuya769

• View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: March 26, 2010, 02:28:34 AM »
It's the UGPA + applying so late.  With a split, you do need to be first out of the gate and have to apply widely.

I guess back to the drawing board.  Do you guys think it's not that important to retake the LSAT then?  I think I can make a pretty strong improvement.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: March 27, 2010, 07:02:54 AM »
Retake only if you're certain you will improve.

Ambesa87

• View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: April 16, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »
Hello All,

I have not taken the LSAT yet, but would like to know how high of an LSAT score do I need in order to gain admission to a top 10 ranked law school (really interested in Harvard and Columbia). The following is a short summary of my background:

- African American male
- Attended a top 25 undergraduate institution in California
- University GPA 3.94 (summa cum laude), LSDAS GPA 3.72
- Studied for a year at the American University in Cairo as an undergraduate
- Served as a Legal Intern (7 months) for a Cairo based NGO that specialized in refugee law (worked with mainly Iraqis and Sudanese). My duties included documenting testimonies of refugees, drafting legal arguments for resettlement through the UNHCR, and translating from Arabic to English
- I speak Arabic (Egyptian dialect and Modern Standard)
- Lastly, I'll be heading off to Egypt in the summer to participate in a M.A. program at the American University in Cairo

Obviously I will try my best to score a 180, but I'm just trying to get an idea here.

Thanks for your time,

Byakuya769

• View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: June 11, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
Ambesa, I'm in the same boat as you.. so take my word with a grain of salt.  But I think I've seen people advised with 165+ as having excellent chances with stats like yours.  You're looking pretty good, just work you tail off on the LSAT.

(wishing I could travel forward in time a few weeks and get my June score!)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3738 on: June 11, 2010, 03:09:24 AM »
best thing to look at is lawschoolnumbers.com you really get an idea of what the school requires.

bafanahoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: June 25, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here.  I'm an AA female and just received my LSAT score: 158 75th percentile. I was praying for at least a 160 but didn't quite make it.  My question is: should I re-take in October?  I'll be abroad and so I'll have to take it out of the country and to be frank I'm so delirious, defeated, and sick of looking at the test.  Additionally I was practicing at around 150-156 so I should be happy w 158, right? My dream is to go to Georgetown (my alma mater) but am wondering if I am being delirious. LSAC GPA 3.4  Thanks so much for your help!