Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 429424 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3700 on: December 03, 2009, 07:11:45 PM »
You should be a URM, and I think you have a good shot at all of those.  H down is pretty much guaranteed.  Nice chances at Y and S if your essays are good.

swarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: December 08, 2009, 10:12:39 PM »
Just did a retake on the Dec test. Not sure if I broke 165 but I was prep testing at 170. I have a 160 from Sept. GPA is super low at 2.79. What do you think my chances are at Fordham PT? Thanks.

Est. Circa 1987

• View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: January 02, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »
Hi, new to this thread but been reading through it today, really good stuff

This question is directed to A. and Kirk Lazarus:

Do you guys have insight regarding urm admissions?  Not just "chances", but how these law schools actually go about deliberating on black applicants.  I'm applying this cycle and it seems like our decisions come a little delayed relative to the rest of the pool.  Do these schools have special committees or something?  Does the BLSA get involved?  Just curious, thanks!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: January 03, 2010, 08:11:58 AM »
Hi, new to this thread but been reading through it today, really good stuff

This question is directed to A. and Kirk Lazarus:

Do you guys have insight regarding urm admissions?  Not just "chances", but how these law schools actually go about deliberating on black applicants.  I'm applying this cycle and it seems like our decisions come a little delayed relative to the rest of the pool.  Do these schools have special committees or something?  Does the BLSA get involved?  Just curious, thanks!

This is going to depend on the school and applicant.  Some schools do involve BLSA; but I'd imagine most don't.  Most schools probably give admissions officers greater latitude to admit minority applicants.  A delay can be explained by a number of factors.  I personally heard back quite quickly (my cycle was over before Christmas).  But it would be logical for admissions officers to delay making decisions on borderline URMs until after they have a better idea of how the applicant pool looks.  If it doesn't look any better, admit the borderline URM.  If better candidates come in, reject the borderline URM.

MosDef1185

• View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: January 04, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
Whats up ya'll. Glad to see this thing is still going. For any of you guys that check out TLS from time to time, I am the one and only Talib Kweli on there. Unfortunately, someone else jacked that name on this site.

Anyway, I'm a black male from a top school. While I did swing a 174 on the December lsat (after getting a 170 in Sept), my gpa is a very  pedestrian 3.1.

Would anyone in the know mind assessing my shot at Harvard? Any idea about where I should set my expectations would be helpful, for my sanity if nothing else.

Thank you in advance.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: January 04, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »
More likely than not that you will get in.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: January 05, 2010, 11:05:39 PM »
You should be a URM, and I think you have a good shot at all of those.  H down is pretty much guaranteed.  Nice chances at Y and S if your essays are good.

"H down"

Are you seriously putting SLS before HLS?  I can see people putting YLS ahead of HLS, but come on.....HLS is the mother of all law schools.

Harvard is a degree mill.  A prestigious degree mill, but a degree mill nonetheless.

MosDef1185

• View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: January 06, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »

this seems pretty optimistic but i certainly hope you're right! i guess i'll start scouring this thread for tips on the phone interviews they usually do.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: January 06, 2010, 10:32:03 PM »
Lol 5 years ago, I would've been right with you in this debate.  "What if Yale doubled its size?  Then we might just have YS!"  But yeah...not so much anymore.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: January 06, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »

this seems pretty optimistic but i certainly hope you're right! i guess i'll start scouring this thread for tips on the phone interviews they usually do.

Yeah they didn't have those when I applied.  Things were better back then...you just got the big box with the binder and knew you were in.