Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 429482 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3680 on: November 10, 2009, 06:13:15 AM »
Sounds like you've done your research, so not much to add.  You should get into a t14.  UVA is a good school, and I love Charlottesville.  My only hesitation with them is that they're the only t14 (I think...definitely the only top 10) to allow employers to prescreen, which I think hurts their students.

tache1

• AOL Instant Messenger - morehousenigg99
    • View Profile
    • my political blog
    • Email
« Reply #3681 on: November 10, 2009, 06:25:31 AM »
Sounds like you've done your research, so not much to add.  You should get into a t14.  UVA is a good school, and I love Charlottesville.  My only hesitation with them is that they're the only t14 (I think...definitely the only top 10) to allow employers to prescreen, which I think hurts their students.

Could you elaborate on the "prescreen", never heard about that and I am curious... Yes I love charlottesville as well. The reason I want UVA is b/c I have a family and my wife and I love the smaller town atmosphere as opposed to a big city grind for law school. I have a few friends in BLSA up there at UVA that I'm going to ask about the prescreening. I heard they got a new black dean of admissions too, I'm trying to met face to face with him next year and hand carry my app when the time comes. Apparently they are having a terrible time getting black males to choose UVA over Northwestern, Columbia, etc... we'll see. Thanks man.
"everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth"

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: November 10, 2009, 08:55:12 AM »

Could you elaborate on the "prescreen", never heard about that and I am curious... Yes I love charlottesville as well. The reason I want UVA is b/c I have a family and my wife and I love the smaller town atmosphere as opposed to a big city grind for law school. I have a few friends in BLSA up there at UVA that I'm going to ask about the prescreening. I heard they got a new black dean of admissions too, I'm trying to met face to face with him next year and hand carry my app when the time comes. Apparently they are having a terrible time getting black males to choose UVA over Northwestern, Columbia, etc... we'll see. Thanks man.

Prescreening means an employer will set minimum qualifications that a student must meet before they can even interview with the firm. For example, a firm might say they'll only interview applicants with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. That means a lot of students are going to be excluded from interviewing with that firm. All the other T14 schools don't allow prescreening meaning students can interview with whichever firms they want. Thus, the matching process becomes more advantageous to the student.

YLS c/o 2009

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: November 10, 2009, 10:14:27 PM »
Right.  For instance, at Yale and several other schools, your interviews are determined solely by your rankings and a subsequent lottery.  In other words, you allocate points among your preferred firms, then a lottery is held among all the people who ranked the firm 1, then 2, then 3, etc. until all of the spots are filled.  Pretty easy to get several of your top-choice firms.  At UVA, the employer, not the student, decides whom to interview.

uptown125

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3684 on: November 10, 2009, 10:56:07 PM »
Right.  For instance, at Yale and several other schools, your interviews are determined solely by your rankings and a subsequent lottery.  In other words, you allocate points among your preferred firms, then a lottery is held among all the people who ranked the firm 1, then 2, then 3, etc. until all of the spots are filled.  Pretty easy to get several of your top-choice firms.  At UVA, the employer, not the student, decides whom to interview.

Wouldn't this have the effect of giving UVA better OCI than peer schools like Penn or Michigan? Is there a trade off that theyre making that allows them to get better firms on campus/have big law hire more deeply into the classes?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: November 10, 2009, 11:16:49 PM »
No.  For the most part (except for some regional firms in each area), the same firms go to all three of those.

But anyway, this is not to bash UVA.  You'd be fine there.  It's just an unnecessary policy that turns me off.

stunnerrunner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3686 on: November 12, 2009, 05:45:01 AM »
Hello all. I have a 3.2ish gpa from a top school and a 170 lsat. Had about a 3.9 my senior year to bring my average up. My softs are pretty weak. Anyways, I applied this cycle, and I'm wondering what you think of my chances, specifically at:

UVA
PENN
COLUMBIA
HARVARD
NYU
GULC
UCLA

any insight would be great. thanks.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: November 12, 2009, 06:10:17 AM »
You have a decent shot at all of those.  Harvard is the only questionable one b/c of the GPA, but I say your odds are greater than 50/50.

stunnerrunner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3688 on: November 12, 2009, 07:06:51 AM »
do you think i have any chance at getting ok money offers from the bottom end of the t 14 and ucla type schools? that could affect where i end up.

also, it seems to me like its really difficult to gauge what kind of black students are ending up at the top schools. At columbia for instance there are only 33 in the first year class! thats so few its ridiculous. at the same time, its very, very difficult to find more than say 10 black students who have been admitted to columbia on this board and TLS. so the availability of data on the types of black students numbers wise getting into a school like columbia is super limited. im pretty much at a loss and just hoping for the best.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: November 12, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »
Yeah you should get money from the bottom t14.

There have been plenty of black applicants who have been admitted to Columbia on this board over the years.  One current CLS student still posts from time to time.  You're almost guaranteed to get in there, if that's something you're worried about.

P.S. 33 black students in one class is a huge number.  There are that many black first years at CLS?  Interesting.  Then again, there were 18 in my class at YLS, and Columbia is twice as big, so I guess it's possible...esp. when you throw in the allure of NYC.  But I bet they have the second largest in the t14 after Harvard.  Or maybe NYU or GULC.