Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 429046 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #3670 on: November 02, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »
target the middle t14

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: November 03, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
yep what A. said.  Throw in a couple reaches like Harvard, CLS and NYU as well.
YLS c/o 2009

captainkyoraku

• View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: November 03, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
What do you guys think my chances are at Texas and Vanderbilt? I've been thinking more and more about these schools because I would be OK with being regulated to their regions and they offer good prospects in these regions---but I would go in and at least try to get grades good enough to transfer to HYS. Obviously there are no guarantees but that might be my best shot. I've heard rumors about being a black male giving one a boost for transfer admissions--what do you guys think?

uptown125

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3673 on: November 03, 2009, 11:53:26 PM »
What do you guys think my chances are at Texas and Vanderbilt? I've been thinking more and more about these schools because I would be OK with being regulated to their regions and they offer good prospects in these regions---but I would go in and at least try to get grades good enough to transfer to HYS. Obviously there are no guarantees but that might be my best shot. I've heard rumors about being a black male giving one a boost for transfer admissions--what do you guys think?

Relegated, not "regulated," man. Not to be a jackass, but some people instinctively look for this kind of thing and, needless to say, it doesn't look good.

Anyway, now that I've applied to CLS with my pitiful 3.09/167, I suppose I'll just have to play the waiting game. I know you guys think I've got a shot, but is it worth getting my hopes? This is really a dumb question, but if you actually had to quantify my shot as a black male first-generation college grad, would you say over or under 50%?

Also, since I'm signed up to retake the LSAT in December, is it inevitable that I'll be deferred pending my new score? Part of my just wants a higher score for its own sake given that I've underperformed so badly. However, since LSAC stats suggest that I'm already well within the top 1% of black male lsat scores (feel free to correct me here), it seems clear that even a 178 wouldn't make much of a difference. 

Any additional thoughts? I totally understand if you're sick my questions btw. Thanks all!

captainkyoraku

• View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: November 04, 2009, 12:29:37 AM »

Relegated, not "regulated," man. Not to be a jackass, but some people instinctively look for this kind of thing and, needless to say, it doesn't look good.

Anyway, now that I've applied to CLS with my pitiful 3.09/167, I suppose I'll just have to play the waiting game. I know you guys think I've got a shot, but is it worth getting my hopes? This is really a dumb question, but if you actually had to quantify my shot as a black male first-generation college grad, would you say over or under 50%?

Also, since I'm signed up to retake the LSAT in December, is it inevitable that I'll be deferred pending my new score? Part of my just wants a higher score for its own sake given that I've underperformed so badly. However, since LSAC stats suggest that I'm already well within the top 1% of black male lsat scores (feel free to correct me here), it seems clear that even a 178 wouldn't make much of a difference. 

Any additional thoughts? I totally understand if you're sick my questions btw. Thanks all!

It's called a typo---I'm aware that they don't even mean the same thing.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3675 on: November 04, 2009, 06:34:05 AM »

You should get in...they're ranked below the schools we recommended for you.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: November 04, 2009, 06:35:17 AM »

Relax.

Vaio

• View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »

No it's not. It's called an error. A typo involves misplacing a word here or there...you typed an actual word but applied it incorrectly.

captainkyoraku

• View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: November 09, 2009, 10:41:06 PM »

No it's not. It's called an error. A typo involves misplacing a word here or there...you typed an actual word but applied it incorrectly.

Let it go man, it's almost been a week.

tache1

• AOL Instant Messenger - morehousenigg99
    • View Profile
    • my political blog
    • Email
« Reply #3679 on: November 10, 2009, 05:32:45 AM »
I just got my results back from the Sept LSAT, I scored a 167. I'm a black male, I have a 2.7 GPA with a marked upward trend (3.8 my last year)from Morehouse. I spent five years after school as a paratrooper/infantryman in the army and in the time I deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I am looking to go to top 14. Period. I realize that in this economy going to on non-T14, even Howard, just seems like a path to nowhere (or a stupid contract law job reviewing documents in some basement) and definitely not a path to BigLaw. I am applying next cycle, not this one. I am looking to apply ED to Virginia, and if I don't get in there I will be blanketing the rest of the T14. I know a 167 puts me in the top 1% of black LSAT scores, but my GPA sucks, so I will be a toss up. What do you folks think?
"everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth"