Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

Funia

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2160 on: July 08, 2007, 07:27:30 PM »
Well I started out talking about how being labeled a troublemaker was part of my reputation on campus.  Then I gave a series of anecdotes about how I had created "trouble" on campus.  Then I talked (very briefly) about how that related to why I wanted to go to law school. 

Thank you. That's the direction I'm sort of going in. However, my antidotes refer to the racism I experienced and how those incidents served as a catalyst to my involvement in diversity issues. Eventually, I relate it to why I want to be a lawyer. I also talk about how I overextended myself and the affect on my academic performance (the regrets paragraph).

GoldenAfro

• Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: July 08, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »
Well I started out talking about how being labeled a troublemaker was part of my reputation on campus.  Then I gave a series of anecdotes about how I had created "trouble" on campus.  Then I talked (very briefly) about how that related to why I wanted to go to law school. 

Thank you. That's the direction I'm sort of going in. However, my antidotes refer to the racism I experienced and how those incidents served as a catalyst to my involvement in diversity issues. Eventually, I relate it to why I want to be a lawyer.

That's what I did.  My PS was about racism/bigotry. Let me know if you want a proofreader later.

Funia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2162 on: July 08, 2007, 07:33:53 PM »

Thank you. That's the direction I'm sort of going in. However, my antidotes refer to the racism I experienced and how those incidents served as a catalyst to my involvement in diversity issues. Eventually, I relate it to why I want to be a lawyer.

That's what I did.  My PS was about racism/bigotry. Let me know if you want a proofreader later.

Aww thank you! I will definitely take you up on that.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: July 09, 2007, 05:59:11 AM »

Thank you. That's the direction I'm sort of going in. However, my antidotes refer to the racism I experienced and how those incidents served as a catalyst to my involvement in diversity issues. Eventually, I relate it to why I want to be a lawyer. I also talk about how I overextended myself and the affect on my academic performance (the regrets paragraph).

If possible, try not to include negatives or "explanations" in your PS.  If necessary, you can do a seperate addendum explaining academic performance.  In general, the ps should be all about positives and selling yourself.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: July 09, 2007, 06:25:25 AM »

If possible, try not to include negatives or "explanations" in your PS.  If necessary, you can do a seperate addendum explaining academic performance.  In general, the ps should be all about positives and selling yourself.

I personally think "explanations" anywhere are pointless...adcoms have heard them all.  But I know they make some people feel better.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: July 09, 2007, 06:27:16 AM »

I personally think "explanations" anywhere are pointless...adcoms have heard them all.  But I know they make some people feel better.

Yeah, I did an addendum, and in retrospect it was pretty useless.  Not even a good excuse.

Funia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2166 on: July 09, 2007, 11:24:28 AM »

Okay. Thanks. After some reflection this is the approach I decided to take. Gosh!If I could go back I wouldn't have gotten involved in half as much. I would have scaled back and studied more. I'm trying to shake the SHOUDACOUDAWOULDA feelngs.

« Reply #2167 on: July 10, 2007, 01:29:23 AM »
Hi, guys. I'm a newbie here and I need some unbiased advice/opinions. I have a 3.25 and I (at least in my point of view) bombed the june lsat with a 163. (My average diagnostic was a 169).  I really don't have a solid idea of what my chances are at the t14. (sites like tls and lsn I feel give biased advice when it comes to urm's). There is a specific program that I want to do that is only available at a select few of the t14's and the university of vermont. (so pretty much i really want to get into one of those t14's) I graduated at 21, worked for a fortune 5 for a year, and I am tri-lingual. I have also lived in 4 countries in the past 5 years. (i have a pretty intersting past, that will hopefully help me with the soft factors).  Your responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Oh yea... I'll probably retake but I'm not 100% sure if I'm up for it... i was pretty depressed after the june test and I don't want to have my dreams dashed again

Funia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2168 on: July 10, 2007, 01:44:32 AM »
Hi, guys. I'm a newbie here and I need some unbiased advice/opinions. I have a 3.25 and I (at least in my point of view) bombed the june lsat with a 163. (My average diagnostic was a 169).  I really don't have a solid idea of what my chances are at the t14. (sites like tls and lsn I feel give biased advice when it comes to urm's). There is a specific program that I want to do that is only available at a select few of the t14's and the university of vermont. (so pretty much i really want to get into one of those t14's) I graduated at 21, worked for a fortune 5 for a year, and I am tri-lingual. I have also lived in 4 countries in the past 5 years. (i have a pretty intersting past, that will hopefully help me with the soft factors).  Your responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Oh yea... I'll probably retake but I'm not 100% sure if I'm up for it... i was pretty depressed after the june test and I don't want to have my dreams dashed again

No offense but people kill me when they say they "bombed" the LSAT and then quote a score over 160! I've yet to take it but I'd take a 163!

Okay... sorry, I'm not being helpful... carry on.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: July 10, 2007, 04:21:39 AM »

Which t14 do you need?  Apply to all of them.  You have a decent shot at MVP down.