Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2150 on: July 05, 2007, 02:18:54 PM »
Thx!! I guess I just felt pressed to write about it b/c it's a pretty unique experience in light of my background. Do you think I could address the documentary/rangering/pro bono internship in a diversity statement?? Or would the inductive leaps be too great for a double spaced pg....
 ???

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: July 05, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »
Thx!! I guess I just felt pressed to write about it b/c it's a pretty unique experience in light of my background.

Yeah, but your goal is to stand out in the adcomms' minds.  So even though you might have found studying abroad to be thrilling, they probably won't, given how many people do it and likely write about it.

Do you think I could address the documentary/rangering/pro bono internship in a diversity statement?? Or would the inductive leaps be too great for a double spaced pg....
 ???

Hm, if you're going to write about something, write more than what you have on your resume.  So I would say focus on one or two topics.  But I didn't do diversity statements, so I can't comment on them from experience.

« Reply #2152 on: July 05, 2007, 04:28:16 PM »
Just out of curiosity, is having a W on your transcript bad for applying to law school? Sadly, I have one thanks to a computer programming class based on a windows program and I was the only mac in the room.

GoldenAfro

• Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: July 05, 2007, 04:35:42 PM »
Just out of curiosity, is having a W on your transcript bad for applying to law school? Sadly, I have one thanks to a computer programming class based on a windows program and I was the only mac in the room.

I don't think it's that serious as long as you only have one or maybe two.  I had a W on my transcript, and it did not seem to affect my admissions cycle. But if you are dropping classes left and right every semester, then it probably won't be looked upon favorably.

« Reply #2154 on: July 06, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »
Thanks jdwhome...I thought it was a splendid idea at first...probably back to the drawing board for me... :-[

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: July 06, 2007, 05:51:24 PM »
If anyone wants to take a look at my PS and how I set up my applications, let me know and I'll be happy to send.

Funia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2156 on: July 08, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »
I am in the process of outlining/brainstorming my personal statement and I wanted to talk about my leadership activities pertaining to diversity and the campus climate. A dean of my undergrad has written me a recommendation in which he details my contribution to campus "political issues" and my work with him on a diversity committee. He also presented me with a service award last year. However, I am concerned that I might sound like a troublemaker and that I might talk too much about race in personal statement. Yet, when I reflect on the last five years, the activities I took part in serve as one of my greatest contributions to the university and my community.

Should I limit my reference to campus diversity issues? I know its called a 'personal statement' for a reason but I would like some feedback.  :D

GoldenAfro

• Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: July 08, 2007, 07:05:33 PM »
Um that's exactly what I did in my personal statement. It wasn't executed as well as I would've liked, but it worked for me. And it fit together with my overall theme in my application.  I didn't mind looking like a troublemaker, and I stated that outright.  I'd be happy to let you read my PS if you'd like.

Funia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2158 on: July 08, 2007, 07:14:13 PM »
Um that's exactly what I did in my personal statement. It wasn't executed as well as I would've liked, but it worked for me. And it fit together with my overall theme in my application.  I didn't mind looking like a troublemaker, and I stated that outright.  I'd be happy to let you read my PS if you'd like.

If you don't mind touching on the way you structured it.

GoldenAfro

• Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: July 08, 2007, 07:17:37 PM »
Well I started out talking about how being labeled a troublemaker was part of my reputation on campus.  Then I gave a series of anecdotes about how I had created "trouble" on campus.  Then I talked (very briefly) about how that related to why I wanted to go to law school.