Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2110 on: June 30, 2007, 01:23:52 PM »
I will have about a 2.9 LSDAS GPA. I got a 1.8 at my first university in 2000, dropped out in 2002, and came back to school in 2004. I have a 3.7 over the past four years, but still a low LSDAS GPA, and my degree-granting school is tier 4.

I have a somewhat legit addendum for my poor performance at my first school (taking care of a disabled parent full-time while trying to go to school), but that's only going to get me so far.

I just took the LSAT and got a 175.

I'm not sure what my chances are at the T14 due to being a huge splitter. I'm definitely applying to Penn, Michigan, and Cornell. I might apply to Chicago and NU. Jem said in another thread that my chances at H are better than YS, but I'm not sure how worth it applying is. Any advice is appreciated.

to elaborate, you have a better chance at H than YS bc YS are big on gpa and your low lsdas gpa will hurt you with them.  it may hurt you with H too--but the odds are still better with them

from this cycle and past cycles, Penn, MIch, and NU are DEFINITELY splitter friends (make use of lsn to see for yourself).  you have an awesome shot at those (and i'm 100% sure you will get into NU).

here's an lsn profile similar to your stats/urm status

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=mista1daful

Shark Week

• officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: June 30, 2007, 01:38:46 PM »
Thanks a lot for that analysis, Jem, I really appreciate it.

« Reply #2112 on: June 30, 2007, 02:02:41 PM »
Hi

I am new to this whole thing, and I would like some ideas for schools that I could apply to next fall, maybe some reaches, targets, and safeties.  My LSDAS gpa will be a 2.9 with an upward trend and I got a 159 LSAT which was 10 points lower than my practice tests, so I will be retaking in september.  Any advice will be appreciated.  Thanks.

« Reply #2113 on: June 30, 2007, 02:15:46 PM »
Welcome to the board November! I am also applying this cycle but I thought I might chip in a quick opinion. You said your real score was 10 points below your practice score. If you are set on retaking make sure you reexamine your approach to studying for the LSAT. If your practice tests weren't tightly timed, under real conditions, and with optimal prep, those might be great areas for you to work on before September. The resident old heads can tell you more about gpa than I can but I am sure upward grade trend and a higher lsat score will help your case for getting into top law schools. Good luck!

« Reply #2114 on: June 30, 2007, 02:18:07 PM »
Welcome to the board November! I am also applying this cycle but I thought I might chip in a quick opinion. You said your real score was 10 points below your practice score. If you are set on retaking make sure you reexamine your approach to studying for the LSAT. If your practice tests weren't tightly timed, under real conditions, and with optimal prep, those might be great areas for you to work on before September. The resident old heads can tell you more about gpa than I can but I am sure upward grade trend and a higher lsat score will help your case for getting into top law schools. Good luck!

i agree with this--also, November, when you practicing with the most recent exams?  THe older ones are easier than the newer ones and may have given you a false sense of security if you only practiced with those.

« Reply #2115 on: June 30, 2007, 02:23:29 PM »
Thanks Jem and Jdhome for responding  :), I practiced with both early and later tests, I actually did better on the later tests for some reason.  I scored 167-169 on the last 5 released tests.  I was extremely nervous though, so maybe interferred with my testing.  I definitely will revamp my studying though. Thanks again.

« Reply #2116 on: July 01, 2007, 08:02:31 AM »
I just got my score back and landed at a 156  :-[ .  I have a 3.4 GPA at UVA.  My grade trend is fairly strong.  I went from a 3.2 first year to a 3.75 this past year.  As for the soft factors I have strong EC, should get great recs, I am a black male, and I am from Virginia (Central, fairly close to Charlottesville).  If I am set on applying to UVA Law early decision do you all think I should just go ahead and apply to avoid the risk of getting a lower score on the LSAT or should I retake in September.  On my practice exams I was scoring about 7-9 points than what I got on the actual.  I did this all through self-study so maybe I should look into getting a loan for a class?  I was extremely nervous during the exam, which is normal, but I feel like I could have done better.  What do you veterans :) think?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 01, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »
You might have a shot at UVA, but I'm not sure that they would take a 156 even ED.  So in that sense, perhaps you should retake. 

But to all of you considering retaking:  Most people do worse than they did on their practice exams...people rarely take those under real testing conditions.  And LSAT studies show that most people don't do any better (and oftentimes worse) on a retake.  So really consider whether you would actually improve on a retake.  If you decide to retake, bust your ass studying for it.  Otherwise, I'd just recommend that you accept the score that you got and start working on the soft factors and getting your apps in early.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 01, 2007, 08:35:05 AM »
I think UVA is very slim with the LSAT you've got combined with that GPA. Although Alci noted that people tend to do worse on the actual than on the real thing, I usually notice a slip of 2-3 points. From that perspective, a 7-9 dip is abnormal. I would take Testmasters180.com and prepare for the October test. You'll feel more relaxed and I think you might be able to improve from your 156. Like #1 said, however, you should think long and hard whether or not you'll be able to improve enough to make a competitive shot for UVA. I'd say you'd need at least a 163 with your GPA. A 7 point increase on a re-take is also abnormal. So it seems you have a delimma. Just be very honest with yourself and if you believe you have the patience, resolve and ability to score higher then go for it.

« Reply #2119 on: July 01, 2007, 09:37:47 AM »
Thanks guys.  I have a lot to think about these next few days.  This spot is the absolute worst for me.  I told myself anything under 155 would be a definite retake and anything above a 162 would be acceptable.  I should have known I would fall into that gray area.  It's really tough for me because I know I would do what I had to do to succeed in law school.  Failure would not be an option.  Average would not be an option for me in law school but I understand that the admission committees need something to show them that.  Standardize tests have never been my a bright spot for me.  I know my soft factors like community service and work experience are extremely strong but the obstacle would be for them to even get past the numbers.  Getting two degrees from UVA would be a powerful statement for my family.  Most of them have worked for the school in mid (and low) level positions but I will be the first to actually attend and get a degree from here.  This school has always been a huge force in my life because it has always a source of income for my parents.  However, it always appeared to be this shinning light on a hill that none of us have ever been able to get to.  Perhaps a BA is where my journey here ends which will be an accomplishment in itself for a first generation student.  What do you all think about schools like William and Mary, George Washington, and Fordham with my numbers?