Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2100 on: June 22, 2007, 05:52:47 PM »
I will do the same thing Anna Ivey does for $300 (the negro pan-African special).  Send me a pm if you are interested.

;)  :D

« Reply #2101 on: June 23, 2007, 10:39:09 PM »
Has anyone considered using a consulting service? Anna Ivey charges $500 to read over your materials, discuss essay topics, potential recommendors, etc. But to use her services for the nitty gritty of the application process, the fee is something in the neighborhood of 2500 for her associates and 4500 for her. While I refuse to pay thousands for an admissions counselor, 500 is something that I could budget. Is it worth seeking Anna's help? I included a breakdown of the service you get for the 500:

During Stage 1, I review: •Your brainstorming questionnaire (a copy is attached)•Your résumé •Your transcripts •Your LSAT score reports (if you have already taken the LSAT) and •Your LSAC Academic Summary Report (if your transcripts have already been processed by LSAC)

After I review your materials, we book a phone conversation or in-person meeting (up to one hour) in which we: •Discuss whether a law degree and a legal career are the best choice for you •Put together an appropriate list of schools based on your educational and career goals and your admissions chances •Discuss when to apply and, if you decide not to apply right away, help you maximize your opportunities and developan action plan to improve your profile in the interim •Identify your strengths and weaknesses as an applicant and formulate a strategy to best show off those assets and neutralize those weaknesses •Determine the best timing and preparation strategy for standardized tests •Discuss essay topics for you to consider •Choose the most appropriate recommenders

I think you'd be better off buying her book and using that $500 for more LSAT prep.  Based on what you have posted, I think that you can get all that information from reading her book.  But I suppose the best person to answer would be someone who has used her consulting service.

I finished reading her book and Montauk's; both offered great advice. I am very interested in starting my essays now but I am having real difficult strategizing for essays, recs, etc. There is a quite a bit of information out there that is sometimes conflicting. I am considering using an admissions consultant because I have strenghts and weaknesses that Im not completely sure how to present for the strongest application possible. It would help to have a more "inside" opinion on things like essay topics, addenda, statements, etc.

Cahow- I looked into admissions consultants. The one hour deal is much better than AI's going rate, thank you for the suggestion. I will PM you to ask some specific questions. One Step Ahead- ROFL at pan-African special!!

what's the problem that calls for the need from strategy for your recs?  Just get them from ppl that know your scholastic work the best and can speak highly about it and you (and yes, you can get them from a TA if they are the one that knows your work).

« Reply #2102 on: June 25, 2007, 04:48:42 PM »
Has anyone considered using a consulting service? Anna Ivey charges $500 to read over your materials, discuss essay topics, potential recommendors, etc. But to use her services for the nitty gritty of the application process, the fee is something in the neighborhood of 2500 for her associates and 4500 for her. While I refuse to pay thousands for an admissions counselor, 500 is something that I could budget. Is it worth seeking Anna's help? I included a breakdown of the service you get for the 500:

During Stage 1, I review: •Your brainstorming questionnaire (a copy is attached)•Your résumé •Your transcripts •Your LSAT score reports (if you have already taken the LSAT) and •Your LSAC Academic Summary Report (if your transcripts have already been processed by LSAC)

After I review your materials, we book a phone conversation or in-person meeting (up to one hour) in which we: •Discuss whether a law degree and a legal career are the best choice for you •Put together an appropriate list of schools based on your educational and career goals and your admissions chances •Discuss when to apply and, if you decide not to apply right away, help you maximize your opportunities and developan action plan to improve your profile in the interim •Identify your strengths and weaknesses as an applicant and formulate a strategy to best show off those assets and neutralize those weaknesses •Determine the best timing and preparation strategy for standardized tests •Discuss essay topics for you to consider •Choose the most appropriate recommenders

I think you'd be better off buying her book and using that $500 for more LSAT prep.  Based on what you have posted, I think that you can get all that information from reading her book.  But I suppose the best person to answer would be someone who has used her consulting service.

I finished reading her book and Montauk's; both offered great advice. I am very interested in starting my essays now but I am having real difficult strategizing for essays, recs, etc. There is a quite a bit of information out there that is sometimes conflicting. I am considering using an admissions consultant because I have strenghts and weaknesses that Im not completely sure how to present for the strongest application possible. It would help to have a more "inside" opinion on things like essay topics, addenda, statements, etc.

Cahow- I looked into admissions consultants. The one hour deal is much better than AI's going rate, thank you for the suggestion. I will PM you to ask some specific questions. One Step Ahead- ROFL at pan-African special!!

what's the problem that calls for the need from strategy for your recs?  Just get them from ppl that know your scholastic work the best and can speak highly about it and you (and yes, you can get them from a TA if they are the one that knows your work).

I have been lucky to have several great teachers but some can address different things about me (academics, work ethic, self motivation, character, etc). Im unsure about which ones will be the most helpful to an adcom

get 3 recs: 2 academic and 1 from a current supervisor (if applicable).  hopefully all three can attest to your character and work ethic, etc

« Reply #2103 on: June 26, 2007, 08:46:09 AM »
I'm new to this, I don't have anything to say in particular, hopefully I'll have a better idea of what my chances are in a few days...when LSAC releases the scores  :).

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: June 26, 2007, 08:49:58 AM »
I'm new to this, I don't have anything to say in particular, hopefully I'll have a better idea of what my chances are in a few days...when LSAC releases the scores  :).

Good for you...waiting until you have actual scores instead of speculating off of your "best" practice test.  More n00bs should follow your lead.  Welcome to the board :)

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: June 26, 2007, 10:17:52 AM »

Fresh meat... i mean welcome. lol  :D

« Reply #2106 on: June 28, 2007, 01:16:12 PM »
m

« Reply #2107 on: June 28, 2007, 04:02:45 PM »
So, I have spent many nights awake wondering if going to a top law school is a possibility anymore. Although I’m only going into my junior year, I have a huge problem, and I would like some guidance.

After my freshman year of college, I transferred schools. I attended Stonehill College in MA for their varsity equestrian team and knew I was transferring after a year. One thing to note, Stonehill’s team was national champs.  I currently attend Lehigh, but Lehigh is not known for getting their students into good law schools. With this said, here are my stats:

Stonehill, Philosophy major

GPA: 3.25
Stonehill’s Varsity Equestrian Team, Athletic Director’s Honor Roll

Lehigh, Philosophy and French major, German minor
GPA: 3.67 (major GPA: 3.7 for French, 3.675 for Philosophy)
Dean’s List, Lehigh Equestrian Team, Swing Dance Club, and NSCS

The summer after my freshman year I attended Middlebury College’s French Language School. I did not request credit from Stonehill nor did I request it from Lehigh. I have always studied at various universities and schools in the summer since I was young. I normally do not take the credit because I take the courses for enjoyment, and they’re typically courses I would not otherwise take. Unfortunately, this time, I did not do so well, I received two B-, 1 C+, and a C-. Up until that point my lowest grade was a B- in a 300 level French course first semester at Stonehill.

I am currently interning in the Senate for the summer for both of my state senators and hopefully will intern for a Congressman representing the district Lehigh is in during the semester, and then will study abroad.

1.   I know my LSDAS GPA will not reflect my work, but is there a chance that I can get into a T14 school with a good LSAT score and recommendations despite it?

2.   In addition, Middlebury’s credits were roughly 3 credits on their system, but on a regular system it would have been 9 credits. Lehigh does not award more credits than the other institution awards. So, Lehigh would give me 3. if I transfer it in to Lehigh, would it make less of an impact on the LSDAS?

Basically, what would you guys do in this given situation? I really want to go to UPenn or UVA, but is it even a possibility?

Hey.  I think your best strategy would be to, of course, get a great LSAT score, and also play up your soft factors in your application essays.  It seems that you are a very interesting person, since you have had these unique, academically enriching experiences at various institutions. Law schools are interested in diversity on many levels, and you seem to bring that.  However, a strong academic background is crucial to attending a T14.  You may consider including addendum letters regarding poor academic performance.  Also, choosing great people to write your recommendations can help.  If they are able to convey something about you that your GPA cannot convey, then that may cause a top school to take pause and see you as more than just an LSAT score and GPA.  I am not an admissions expert, but I hope this helps some.  I'm sure you will receive more responses from others too. Good Luck.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: June 29, 2007, 08:49:11 AM »
So, I have spent many nights awake wondering if going to a top law school is a possibility anymore. Although I’m only going into my junior year, I have a huge problem, and I would like some guidance.

After my freshman year of college, I transferred schools. I attended Stonehill College in MA for their varsity equestrian team and knew I was transferring after a year. One thing to note, Stonehill’s team was national champs.  I currently attend Lehigh, but Lehigh is not known for getting their students into good law schools. With this said, here are my stats:

Stonehill, Philosophy major

GPA: 3.25
Stonehill’s Varsity Equestrian Team, Athletic Director’s Honor Roll

Lehigh, Philosophy and French major, German minor
GPA: 3.67 (major GPA: 3.7 for French, 3.675 for Philosophy)
Dean’s List, Lehigh Equestrian Team, Swing Dance Club, and NSCS

The summer after my freshman year I attended Middlebury College’s French Language School. I did not request credit from Stonehill nor did I request it from Lehigh. I have always studied at various universities and schools in the summer since I was young. I normally do not take the credit because I take the courses for enjoyment, and they’re typically courses I would not otherwise take. Unfortunately, this time, I did not do so well, I received two B-, 1 C+, and a C-. Up until that point my lowest grade was a B- in a 300 level French course first semester at Stonehill.

I am currently interning in the Senate for the summer for both of my state senators and hopefully will intern for a Congressman representing the district Lehigh is in during the semester, and then will study abroad.

1.   I know my LSDAS GPA will not reflect my work, but is there a chance that I can get into a T14 school with a good LSAT score and recommendations despite it?

2.   In addition, Middlebury’s credits were roughly 3 credits on their system, but on a regular system it would have been 9 credits. Lehigh does not award more credits than the other institution awards. So, Lehigh would give me 3. if I transfer it in to Lehigh, would it make less of an impact on the LSDAS?

Basically, what would you guys do in this given situation? I really want to go to UPenn or UVA, but is it even a possibility?

I don't particularly think you're in too bad of a situation. You have a upward grade trend and you also transferred schools. You can argue that as you became adapted to college, your grades improved. Also you can argue that your grades improved significantly despite transferring and despite juggling impressive ECs. Since Lehigh is not a school that is well know, you need to continue that grade trend. You should focus on getting As. If you have to sacrifice some of your extra-curricular activities or social activities to make the grade, then do it. You want to go into you application process, with an impressive upward grade trend. ECs are important, but not nearly as important as grades. I especially think this is true for African Americans ( I think GPA is the one metric that schools are hardline with for African Americans generally). So continue to improve those grades.

In spring of 2008, sign up for Testmasters or Powerscore. Commit yourself to the course, do all the homework and attend every single class. If you want UVA, you're going to probably need a 163+ to be considered and probably a 165+ to be safe. It is imperative that you take the necessary care to get as high of a score as possible on the LSAT. It's going to take focus and determination on your part, but you could probably do it if you invest the energy and resources to accomplishing this goal.

Finally, do your applications over next summer. Have your recommendations lined up. Have your essays polished and ready to go. Have your resume flawless. Then submit your application on the first day they start accepting apps. You want to show them that when you apply, you are at the top of your game. You are organized and ready to be a part of UVA or Penn.

Good luck.

Shark Week

• officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: June 30, 2007, 02:19:52 PM »
I will have about a 2.9 LSDAS GPA. I got a 1.8 at my first university in 2000, dropped out in 2002, and came back to school in 2004. I have a 3.7 over the past four years, but still a low LSDAS GPA, and my degree-granting school is tier 4.

I have a somewhat legit addendum for my poor performance at my first school (taking care of a disabled parent full-time while trying to go to school), but that's only going to get me so far.

I just took the LSAT and got a 175.

I'm not sure what my chances are at the T14 due to being a huge splitter. I'm definitely applying to Penn, Michigan, and Cornell. I might apply to Chicago and NU. Jem said in another thread that my chances at H are better than YS, but I'm not sure how worth it applying is. Any advice is appreciated.